• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Book of the World Championship Match 2016

The Book of the World Championship Match 2016

November 14, 2017

At the end of September a book of the Match was published. The details:

World Chess Championship: Carlsen v. Karjakin: New York, 2016

by Lev Alburt (Author),‎ Jon Crumiller (Author)

Paperback: 272 pages
    Publisher: C. I. R. C. (Sept. 26 2017)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1889323292
    ISBN-13: 978-1889323299
    Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 2 x 22.9 cm
    Shipping Weight: 454 g

A masterful job – probably the best book on a championship that I have ever seen. — Dylan Loeb McClain, Editor-in-chief for the Organizers of the 2016 WC match, and former New York Times chess columnist

Lev Alburt and Jon Crumiller have combined forces with former world champion Vladimir Kramnik to produce a deeply considered account of Magnus Carlsen’s narrowly successful title defence against Sergei Karjakin in New York last year. The analysis produces the last word on what both did and should have transpired in every game while color photos convey a vivid impression of the visual aspects of the competition. — Grandmaster Raymond Keene OBE (New York Times)

Grandmaster Lev Alburt, three-time US Champion, is one of the world’s most sought-after chess teachers. National Master Jon Crumiller is Lev’s chess analyst partner and an expert in the use of computer analysis, a dominating influence in modern chess preparation and annotation. Together, they give one of the most detailed and objective analysis of a modern world chess championship.

Vladimir Kramnik [provides] the most candid analysis of a championship match ever made by a former champ. — Grandmaster Andy Soltis (New York Post)

Reader Reviews

- One wishes there was a sixth star. This is a wonderful book. Although there were only 16 games played the book is over 320 pages. The coverage is detailed, the notes to the games more so. The presentation is beyond any similar book with the exception of the San Luis 2005 book. The layout is spacious, not crammed in as is often the case. The only criticism is that some of the photos (yes it has photos) are a bit flat, but the majority are fine and in colour. This is the best produced book on a world championship match that I have seen. Grab yourself a copy.

- I received this book as a gift. Of the chess books I have read this one stands out. It is a recap of the recent extraordinary World Chess Tournament with commentaries by three expert champions, including a former World Champion. The introduction and running commentaries give fascinating insights into the psychological, physical, and emotional factors that both players experienced. I found the book took, this non-competitive chess player, into the world of chess at its highest level. I was very pleasantly surprised by this account of the world championship.

- If you're going to learn, learn from the best. This is a very high-value annotation of the 2016 World Chess championship. Terrific commentary by Vladimir Kramnik, Lev Albert, and Jon Crumiller. If you like/love chess, get this book

Re: The Book of the World Championship Match 2016

Seems available only from the U.K. (and amazon.ca wants almost $7 for shipping...)

It seems not (yet) available from Strategy Games ...

(as an aside, the search function on strategy games seems quite broken and useless:
    searching for 'lev alburt' [without the quotes] returns a LOT of entries that have no obvious connection to either 'lev' or 'alburt')

Here is the link to amazon.ca anyway:

https://www.amazon.ca/World-Chess-Ch...rds=1889323292
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: The Book of the World Championship Match 2016

I hope the book doesn't have any colour pictures of Max Dlugy. I hear the NYC fashion police have issued a warrant for his arrest.
      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Working...
      X