Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice trained to challenge Carlsen

https://www.wsj.com/articles/chess-n...sen-1510866214

(may be behind a pay wall - no idea if so since it opened for me... and I am not a paid subscriber)

A Chess Novice Challenged Magnus Carlsen. He Had One Month to Train
    Speed learner Max Deutsch is testing the limits of self-improvement. Next up: the world’s greatest chess player
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Novice trained to challenge Carlsen

Semi-interesting story, lotsa words. I don't think white has anything to be proud of...

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nge7 4. O-O g6 5. d4 exd4 6. Nxd4 Bg7 7. Be3 O-O 8.Nc3 d6 9. Nd5 Nxd5 10. exd5 Ne5 11. Re1 Ng4 12. Qf3 Qh4 13. h3 Nxe3 14. Qxe3 Bxd4 15. Qd2 Bxb2 16. Rab1 Be5 17. Rb4 Qf6 18. Bd3 Bc3 the game when on for a while longer.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
      Semi-interesting story, lotsa words. I don't think white has anything to be proud of...
      Agreed. It's hardly a spectacular thing when he blundered a knight on move 14 (and more later, but that hardly matters). I was somewhat amused by the fact that the article writer suggested that on move 8 the challenger was winning, when in reality, white has nothing beyond a fine position (at best, a small edge). It's kinda strange that someone would think that they could, in one month, get anywhere close to challenging the world champion, algorithm or not. Any 1900+ club player anywhere could've dispatched our challenger with ease judging by the quality of play, and by the way chess players develop. Just play something simple in the opening, and grind him down in an endgame. If he had committed three years to playing chess and only chess, an exceptionally talented player with excellent coaches could start thinking about making such attempts, but in a case like this it's almost laughable. To his credit though, for 1 month of playing chess, he actually played very well.

Comment

Originally posted by Caleb Petersen View Post
        Agreed. It's hardly a spectacular thing when he blundered a knight on move 14 (and more later, but that hardly matters). I was somewhat amused by the fact that the article writer suggested that on move 8 the challenger was winning, when in reality, white has nothing beyond a fine position (at best, a small edge). It's kinda strange that someone would think that they could, in one month, get anywhere close to challenging the world champion, algorithm or not. Any 1900+ club player anywhere could've dispatched our challenger with ease judging by the quality of play, and by the way chess players develop. Just play something simple in the opening, and grind him down in an endgame. If he had committed three years to playing chess and only chess, an exceptionally talented player with excellent coaches could start thinking about making such attempts, but in a case like this it's almost laughable. To his credit though, for 1 month of playing chess, he actually played very well.
        i think he played chess for over a month and just neglected to mention that. The article struck me as somewhat ignorant of what chess is about. He certainly demonstrated his ignorance himself, with his idea to use rote memory to memorize computer generated winning positions without understanding them. The reality is that becoming great at chess is really hard work and there are no short cuts. He has to work at it just like the rest of us.
        I looked at his 11 other stunts on his blog and I did not see anything there that rest of us could not do. Most of them struck me as parlor tricks. For example he worked for a month so that he could memorize a randomly shuffled decks card order in two minutes. A good book on how to do this exactly is "Moonwalking With Einstein". You basically assign an image to each of the 52 cards and then you store each card in your minds eye in a geographic locale you are familiar with. For example the house you grew up in as a child. This is known as the memory palace technique and is used by contestants in memory challenges very effectively but with a bit of practice anyone can do. I tried it after I read the book and memorized Shakesperian sonnets that was something I was unable to do prior.
        Another stunt was creating software that could allow a car to be self driving in a month. That was ridiculously easy, he went on to the git hub and ran some existing software.
        It goes on and on like that. It looks really impressive on the surface until you know exactly how it is done. The one task he did not succeed at was chess as that is more then just a parlor trick. I doubt if he could beat an expert or even an A player, never mind Magnus.

Comment

He should have stuck to his original plan, beating Magnus the computer game. He could have set the software at novice setting and claim he won that way.

Comment

I can't even find the words to say how dumb it is to put in a bucket list:

-Play a guitar solo
            -Do 40 pull ups
            -Solve a rubik cube in 20 seconds
            -Beat the world champion at chess

One of these is just not like the others...

Comment

Yeah, as if someone who plays chess and solves rubik's cube could ever do 40 pull-ups! ;)

Comment

Indeed Garland! 40 pull ups is no mean feat, even for a gymnast. 30+ years ago I had a chinning bar in the house and I was probably at my strongest. I trained for about 4 months and finally was able to do a one hander. I did sets of 20 but I could never do more than 30. 10 years ago my wife and I went on a fitness kick. With diet and exercise I shed 40 pounds and chin ups were part of the routine. I got up to sets of 15 and then something tore. That was that!

But as difficult as 40 chin ups might be, I am guessing there are 100,000 people who can do it. I doubt there are 1,000 people who have a realistic chance at beating Carlsen. That roughly takes us down to 2500 territory.
                Last edited by Hal Bond; Tuesday, 21st November, 2017, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
                  Indeed Garland! 40 pull ups is no mean feat, even for a gymnast. 30+ years ago I had a chinning bar in the house and I was probably at my strongest. I trained for about 4 months and finally was able to do a one hander. I did sets of 20 but I could never do more than 30. 10 years ago my wife and I went on a fitness kick. With diet and exercise I shed 40 pounds and chin ups were part of the routine. I got up to sets of 15 and then something tore. That was that!

But as difficult as 40 chin ups might be, I am guessing there are 100,000 people who can do it. I doubt there are 1,000 people who have a realistic chance at beating Carlsen. That roughly takes us down to 2500 territory.
                  I agree that is no mean feat however the author had been into weight training for many years prior to the "master it in a month challenge", just like he had been playing chess for much longer then a month. He strikes me as a charlatan.

Comment

Working...
                  X