Raja Panjwani gets GM norm in Charlotte NC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raja Panjwani gets GM norm in Charlotte NC

I am happy to inform you all that Raja Panjwani just got a GM norm in Charlotte, North Carolina by scoring 6.5/9 in a field that included 3 GMs and 6 other IMs. The news comes from Mike Hoffpauir, the President of the US Chess Federation and an arbiter at the GM norm tournament held over the past Thanksgiving weekend November 22 to 26 at the Charlotte Chess Center & Scholastic Academy.

Congratulations Raja!

Raja is also a new chess author with a popular new book out on the hyper accelerated dragon variation which you can buy at Strategy and Games, I believe.

Re: Raja Panjwani gets GM norm in Charlotte NC

Finally! Raja you must be relieved, you are over the hump. Hearty congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
      Finally! Raja you must be relieved, you are over the hump. Hearty congratulations!
      Mike Hoffpauir wasn't sure if it was the second or third norm. By hump do you mean the second norm or getting the final norm for the title? I remember seeing the report that he got one norm.
      Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Tuesday, 28th November, 2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

I believe it is his second...

Comment

I guess I was alluding to his brilliant performance at the Spice Cup in 2013 (2014?) and thinking maybe 6 months more for the GM title. It shows how hard those GM norms can be (to earn).

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
            I guess I was alluding to his brilliant performance at the Spice Cup in 2013 (2014?) and thinking maybe 6 months more for the GM title. It shows how hard those GM norms can be (to earn).
            We will all be rooting for him. I look forward to grabbing his new book at my first opportunity playing in Toronto.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilip Panjwani View Post
              I believe it is his second...
              Congratulations!!!

Comment

Congratulations, Raja!! :) Your chess friends in Kingston are very proud of you!!

Comment

Congrats. Very impressive considering, I think Raja is still a full time student?

Comment

Raja won his final-round game as White over IM Michael Lee of USA, to finish with 6.5/9, and earn his GM Norm!! It was a richly complex King's Indian Defense, Classical Variation, 1-0, 42. In the final position, Black is getting mated or losing his Queen. I've just posted it at chess5.com in the public games section, so it can be played through online there. :)

All of the games from this event (and the IM norm event held concurrently) can be found, and played through on the screen, at:
                    http://www.chessstream.com/tournamen...nal/Games.aspx.

Comment

Thanks Frank for the links. I played over Raja's games and enjoyed his pawn play especially.

Comment

Working...
                      X