Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Juniors misbehaving at Tournament's

Originally posted by Lee Hendon View Post
    On a lighter note should we open up a pub for beginner adults that lose their games fast lol :)
    Come to Aurora Open when we're at Legion with the bar LOL Sometimes we have concerts going too :)

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Hendon View Post
      I bring this up with regards to the Mississauga tournament as many players where unhappy with juniors causing distractions, in the playing area my suggestion for future would be a rated forfeit and next time kicked out of the tournament without refund

Please note most juniors are well behaved

Any other solutions would be helpful

Thanks Lee
      Lets not forget I had a guy behind me in round 4 of the Mississauga Open whose phone went off during the round. TWICE!!!

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
      Come to Aurora Open when we're at Legion with the bar LOL Sometimes we have concerts going too :)
      Wait til you hear what I did last night at the AuCC with the kids who were playing fun chess at the front next to our tournament games yesterday... although it might be a solution going forward into 2018.

Comment

Now the virus seems to be expunged, I would like to add my two cents as a grumpy old man.
        I should note that at Ottawa's RA club we are delighted that about a third of our members are now juniors. (When I first played here, around 1960, I was the one and only until an even younger Lawrence Day joined the club.) I am also pleased to report that during our regular tournament games, on Thursday nights and during formal weekend events, we have to my knowledge had little or no experience of misbehaviour by youngsters beyond a certain exuberance, natural and within acceptable limits. Of course, these are all competent players (including a 14-year-old who has been mopping the floor with the older masters and a 9-year-old who has been carving them up): we have a nominal 14 or 14 rule (i.e. one must be at least 14 years old or rated at least 1400 CFC) but have not been strict in its enforcement although it is there if we need it. We also have a policy that parents or guardians must be on the premises and we look to them to maintain order.
        We have had some incidents at our less formal Sunday active tournaments, mainly centred around one particularly badly behaved youngster who made a habit of kibitizing out loud from inches away from the board and players despite repeated admonitions. He will be allowed to return in the New Year on probation.
        By comparison with a lot of the comments below, this may seem to be a very draconian regime but I have to tell you that it appears to work and increases the enjoyment of all the players, from the youngest to the oldest. We are not running an order of speechless monks but we have been successful in the self-enforcement of the basis rules of decorum which are, after all, part of chess.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
          Now the virus seems to be expunged, I would like to add my two cents as a grumpy old man.
          The warning is still coming up under Malwarebyte which blocks the bitcoin site from taking over your CPU unless you want to override the default of not letting strange websites run processses on your computer.

Comment

I should note that at Ottawa's RA club we are delighted that about a third of our members are now juniors.
            Well it shows. ;) Those kids are doing great job and they deserve a bit of patience when dealing with.

Just look at the RA December Open results.

Open Section
            1-2 Svitlana Demchenko

U1900
            Vincent Qin

U1600
            1-2
            Alexander Stopic

U1300
            Sanjay Ramesh

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post
              Well it shows. ;) Those kids are doing great job and they deserve a bit of patience when dealing with.

Just look at the RA December Open results.

Open Section
              1-2 Svitlana Demchenko

U1900
              Vincent Qin

U1600
              1-2
              Alexander Stopic

U1300
              Sanjay Ramesh

Likely 70% of the members of Scarborough Chess Club in Toronto are now juniors. Yes they have a lot of energy.........but if parents are teaching them tournament etiquette, and the President has a good way with kids, it all works. There is the odd time someone has to be taken aside, but that is rare at our club........at least, so far. And we've had more than 50% juniors for a long time now.

Bob A (Not on the SCC Executive)

Comment

we have a nominal 14 or 14 rule (i.e. one must be at least 14 years old or rated at least 1400 CFC)
                Not true. Not even 'in name' only. Unless of course the RACC has regressed.

When as a member of RA Chess Club, at one of our AGMs I had the great pleasure of creating and bring forward a motion (seconded by Roger Patterson) to eliminate
                ... yes, eliminate ... such a growth restriction as the 14 or 14 rule truly is!

And with a strong majority it passed, Gordo.

One fond example ... 8 year Lloyd Mai with his father came over from my Chapters Book Store chess nights to the RACC. Ottawa Chess Club and my three nights a week Chapters Book Store chess nights were full of youthful chess talent, parents right there with them. It was terrific to see them develop in a more formal setting! But to see that mature, first I had to crush your 14 or 14 rule.

Thanks Rog, I'm forever grateful.

Walls fall down...

Comment

The rule, which remains in place, does allow exceptions to be made at the discretion of the Club President who judges that a kid is mature enough and good enough to play at the club. Lloyd would have qualified on both counts. (Neil would have been allowed in on the chronological age criterion, not his maturity or quality of play:))

Comment

Gordon Ritchie's post belongs in the Chesstalk Hall of Fame. :;)
                    Last edited by Ken Craft; Friday, 15th December, 2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                      Not true. Not even 'in name' only. Unless of course the RACC has regressed.

When as a member of RA Chess Club, at one of our AGMs I had the great pleasure of creating and bring forward a motion (seconded by Roger Patterson) to eliminate
                      ... yes, eliminate ... such a growth restriction as the 14 or 14 rule truly is!

And with a strong majority it passed, Gordo.

One fond example ... 8 year Lloyd Mai with his father came over from my Chapters Book Store chess nights to the RACC. Ottawa Chess Club and my three nights a week Chapters Book Store chess nights were full of youthful chess talent, parents right there with them. It was terrific to see them develop in a more formal setting! But to see that mature, first I had to crush your 14 or 14 rule.

Thanks Rog, I'm forever grateful.

Walls fall down...
                      not really how I remember it. What I recall, albeit quite fuzzily, is a motion that the 14 & 14 rule no longer be a hard limit, that the club could accept younger players if in the particular case it was felt they were mature enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                        not really how I remember it. What I recall, albeit quite fuzzily, is a motion that the 14 & 14 rule no longer be a hard limit, that the club could accept younger players if in the particular case it was felt they were mature enough.
                        Thanks, Roger. Hard limits on growth is one of more regressive actions a chess club could ever blunder into. I think we also carried the discussion further with conditions on the child's behavior and the fixed condition of having a parent present at all times.

I'd love to look back at the minutes of that meeting ... the jaw drop on some of the old boys was awesome!

Off topic ... do you folks in BC see a lot junior growth in your tournaments and in your clubs? And if so, do some of those juniors travel around from tournament to tournament or do they generally keep within a certain area?

Is CMA still active in BC?

Comment

I know very little about the BC chess community these days but I'm fairly certain that the CMA has never been active there.
                          everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

The way Roger describes it is how the current process is implemented, and consistent with Gordon's post.

When I was club president I used to interview the kids, play a game or two against them if they had no rating. Gordon gently ribbed me that the criteria was if they could beat me they were in, and that this standard kept getting easier to pass.

Comment

From my experience, boys'll be boys

Comment

You are correct Ben...you know little about this subject...for a few years now, the CMA rates Vancouver scholastic events almost weekly. Our biggest collaborator in B.C. (yes B.C. is more than just Vancouver :), when you were around was Brian Raymer in Victoria. Unfortunately he is no longer active in scholastic chess and we have lost a great guy!

So yes, the CMA has some great collaborators in B.C. and we are very happy for all they do!

Larry

Comment

Working...
                                X