SECRETS OF LIFE (R)

"STRENGTHENING PRINCIPLES

There are possibilities for the person who can state an opinion and
    not think the statement creates the fact."

Esoteric Encyclopedia of Eternal Knowledge, p. 197

Comment

Re: Re : Re: A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Originally posted by Garland Best View Post
      Personally speaking, I look at discussions on threads like this http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...880#post120880 and wonder why I would want to pay to advertise on a board that allows such a chain of posts to continue.
      I haven't yet slogged through all of the sludge in that thread (and more seems to be oozing in relentlessly) but I no choice but to agree with your sentiment.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
        And it was okay to promote your tournaments in this same liberal environment before L.B.'s ad fee?
        I would promote my events here because it was free and because I knew people posted here and read here. I won't any more now that I have to pay. Instead I will rely on the CFC website as well as the EOCA mailing list. Tom Boshoff is right. I would have put up with ads, no problem.

This board needs moderators. Chesstalk should be a family friendly board, where kids (you know, the ones Larry created Chess n' Math for?) could actually check to see what chess stuff is happening in Canada and elsewhere. That would give it value. I might consider it worth spending the money then.

PS: I have debated arguments from both sides of the liberal/conservative spectrum. But you probably already know that. I don't mind debate at all. Debating ideas is healthy. What's going on in the other thread is not debating.
        PPS: I know what party you have supported since forever, so don't liberal environment me as if liberal is a dirty word.

Comment

I can understand your point. ChessTalk could use a moderator or two ...that and having a fresh skin via vBulletin 5 Connect.

Kinda queer that CFC events be required to pay-to-post ... considering how much revenue and traffic is generated by having Strategy Games as the CFC's official store? Not to mention all that traffic being driven from the CFC to CMA direct via those massive Strategy Games and CMA placements on the CFC's website.

Such a talentless boring little president with which the CFC has been saddled.

Yes, saddled.

Comment

Originally posted by lonely boy aka the rat Neil Frarey View Post
            I can understand your point. ChessTalk could use a moderator or two ...that and having a fresh skin via vBulletin 5 Connect.

Kinda queer that CFC events be required to pay-to-post ... considering how much revenue and traffic is generated by having Strategy Games as the CFC's official store? Not to mention all that traffic being driven from the CFC to CMA direct via those massive Strategy Games and CMA placements on the CFC's website.

Such a talentless boring little president with which the CFC has been saddled.

Yes, saddled.
            There, there Neil it could be much worse. We could be stuck with the talentless and boring lonely boy Neil Frarey as CFC President.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWR1h-5EzUo
            Last edited by Vlad Drkulec; Wednesday, 17th January, 2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I actually agree with both of you. I think you're both boring.
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
                err.... no. In the example given, EF is $60. Variable costs associated with each player are usually just rating fees $3.15 as most costs are fixed but there might be other costs (in BC, BCCF dues $3 plus sometimes we pay TD $/player). So net marginal revenue in Bob's case is $56.85 or maybe a bit less depending on location and TD arrangement.
                The variable cost is much more than that if you realize that the prize pool is one of your costs. ie, you have 20 players and a prize pool of $1000. If 21 players enter, you now have a prize pool of $1050.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                  The variable cost is much more than that if you realize that the prize pool is one of your costs. ie, you have 20 players and a prize pool of $1000. If 21 players enter, you now have a prize pool of $1050.
                  Er....no.

First of all, imagine asking the 20 original players if they would spend $20 to get one additional entry and a prize fund of $1036.85 (the original $1000 plus $60 EF less $20 advertising less rating fee). If marginal revenue is greater than marginal cost, it makes sense to do so.

Secondly, essentially all chess tournaments are either guaranteed prizes (in which case the prizes are fixed costs) or BEN (in which case the $20 is an expense and is deducted)

I have never seen a chess tournament advertised as $X per entry. Yes, if there were such a tournament, then prizes would be a variable cost but as the first example shows, would not be in the players’ or organizers’ best interests and lead to sub optimal results.

Comment

I have never seen a chess tournament advertised as $X per entry.
                    Hal Bond's Guelph tournaments are advertised as "$70 per Pro player returned as prizes."

Comment

Secondly, essentially all chess tournaments are either guaranteed prizes (in which case the prizes are fixed costs) or BEN (in which case the $20 is an expense and is deducted)

I have never seen a chess tournament advertised as $X per entry.
                      What in tarnation are you talking about. Tournaments that are BEN (which is basically every tournament in Canada) are obviously $X per entry.

Comment

Originally posted by David Ottosen View Post
                        What in tarnation are you talking about. Tournaments that are BEN (which is basically every tournament in Canada) are obviously $X per entry.
                        The way a BEN tournament is normally financed is:

Add up all the revenue
                        Add up all the expenses
                        Subtract the two - the difference goes to prize money.

Insofar as additional entries are additional revenue (and are larger than the marginal cost of one more player), more players means more prize money. But it's not $X per entry.

Comment

Re: A new policy for Chesstalk beginning Jan 1, 2018

Hi Larry, does this new policy apply to the humble no-entry-fee, no-prize-fund casual tourney?

Comment

Hi Neil,

Last night we had a metting of the CMA executive.

The general feeling of the board was that we should sell the site to someone who will invest the necessary time and energy to make it successful.

The feeling was that while the site is a useful tool that fills a void for chess in Canada, it is not a role that our organization should be playing. Make us a serious offer and it will be yours in a heartbeat.

I have been taking care of the site for over 17 years...it is kinda like my baby (and despite the negatives...I think it has made a difference)...so if you adopt it...you better do a good job! I am hoping that the new owner will take it to a higher level!

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry, I'll give you a call next week. The thing I really love about CT ... it's bilingual community of French & English!

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                                Hi Larry, does this new policy apply to the humble no-entry-fee, no-prize-fund casual tourney?
                                I have a similar question. The Concordia Chess Club hosts periodic Blitz tournaments open to all. The entry fee is $5 and all entry fees are returned as prizes. We usually get about 10 to 12 players. Does the charge apply to this type of small, informal tournament?

Comment

Working...
                                X