ChessBase 2014 with an SSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChessBase 2014 with an SSD

I have a new computer with a small 512 MB SSD system disk (c:\) and a large 3 TB data drive (d:\). By default ChessBase stores data in c:\users\user_name\documents. How do I set the default location to be d:\user_name\documents? Windows 10 has an option whereby you can move the default location for the documents folder to another drive than c:\ but not all software pays attention to this change and then you have to tell the noncompliant software to change its default storage location. However, ChessBase does not seem to allow this. The only documentation I can find is from 2012 where ChessBase advises against trying to change the default folder location. Two weeks ago, I sent a support ticket to ChessBase but they have not replied. Sent another email to their support a week ago and nothing but crickets.

Since ChessBase is being no help, does any one have any advice or experience? Very frustrating that ChessBase doesn’t support its products better. With SSD drives being widely available but comparatively expensive, the type of setup I have is not so uncommon.
    Last edited by Steve Karpik; Monday, 18th December, 2017, 09:44 AM.

Re: ChessBase 2014 with an SSD

I have a (very) old version of Chessbase (CB 9) but for now it suits my purposes. I can create a new file wherever I want to (assuming the directory/folder exists) and have never had a problem. I, too, have an SSD drive as my C drive, which has to be attended to regularly, as it fills up with files from other software, or simply junk.

Comment

For those who have Windows 10 Creators Edition or later, here are the instructions for changing the default locations to save files:

http://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/c...ent-saved.html

or

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...80adf90?auth=1

It is not terribly well documented. Most of the references on Google suggest that registry changes and similar other nasty operation have to be done. If you've got a relatively up-to-date version of Windows 10, it is simple. Unfortunately, much of the software does not automatically pay attention.

Comment

Chessbase 13 and 14 allow you to change the default drive and directory in the installation menu. Best to install in on your SSD if you can afford the space. Once installed you can change the database and the temporary books paths under the File/options/folders menu.

Comment

Thanks Ed!

Comment

Working...
          X