Thanks to IM Tom O'Donnell for fantastic Kingston simul!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks to IM Tom O'Donnell for fantastic Kingston simul!

Last night at the Kingston Chess Club, IM Tom O'Donnell played a fantastic simul event on 28 boards! On behalf of KCC, thanks to Tom for a wonderful evening! :)

Tom, now a Kingston resident, played 28 boards, scoring +24, =3, -1. He drew with veteran adults Dave Gordon and Sid Anjilvel, and with fast-improving junior Raf de Leon. Only KCC Champion Arman Azroy, a grade nine student, emerged victorious in a sharp battle.

In true B.C. tradition, Tom gave players the choice of playing White or Black; I have seen many Masters refuse this. :)

My game was the last to finish, nearly four hours in. I passed up a fascinating, sharp middlegame possibility, as I had analyzed it as better for Tom. Deeper examination at home showed it was unclear in the main lines. As it turned out, Tom got a clear advantage and carried it right into the endgame, converting the win in true Smyslov style, despite all of my efforts at counterplay. I hope to share this game when I can annotate it to sufficiently high standard.

Re: Thanks to IM Tom O'Donnell for fantastic Kingston simul!

Say Hi to Sid for me - I don't think I've seen him since 1975, and the Canadian Open in Calgary!

Comment

Working...
    X