Why I left Iran to Play Chess in America Link to New York Times Article.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why I left Iran to Play Chess in America Link to New York Times Article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/o...n-america.html

Re: Why I left Iran to Play Chess in America Link to New York Times Article.

Thanks for the link Sid!

Two members of the FIDE Presidential Board moved to the GTA. General Secretary Abraham Tolentino of the Phillipines and Vice President Mohamed Kambouzia of Iran.

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Bond View Post
      Thanks for the link Sid!

Two members of the FIDE Presidential Board moved to the GTA. General Secretary Abraham Tolentino of the Phillipines and Vice President Mohamed Kambouzia of Iran.
      I hope I never meet them.
      In the words of my good friend Garry Kasparov:
      "A disgraceful incident at the FIDE World Blitz Championship on Friday. Russian GM Inarkiev, in a losing position against world champion Magnus Carlsen, made an illegal move and then claimed victory when Carlsen replied because, said Inarkiev, Carlsen's move was illegal! Eventually, the arbiter decided they should continue the game from before Inarkiev's illegal move, but as you can read in the transcript below, even in the very unlikely circumstance that his illegal move was inadvertent, the Russian GM stuck to his absurd demand and was later forfeited for not playing on.

Yes, it's blitz chess, a spectacle that is often chaotic, but this isn't a pub or a park, where a hustler exploits every angle. This is a world championship, and against the world champion himself. Inarkiev should have been disqualified for such behavior. The rules of chess are simple enough, but there are also rules of decency and sportsmanship. (In that line, Carlsen's emotional reaction was excessive, if understandable under the preposterous circumstances.)

Note that this event itself already disgraced by being held in Saudi Arabia, where Israeli players were not permitted to attend and where the many women players must be covered to leave the hotel. This venue caused many top players, including defending champion Anna Muzychuk, to boycott. FIDE has already held major official events in Gadhafi's Tripoli and in Tehran, with similar discriminatory practices. By always putting short-term money ahead of everything else, the politicians bring disgrace upon chess even greater than moments like this one."

Comment

Its nice to see that Dorsa has found a home in St. Louis. Great place to be.

Comment

Working...
        X