X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Long, Long Interview with Kirsan Ilyumzhinov

A Long, Long Interview with Kirsan Ilyumzhinov

December 30, 2017

How would you like to read an overly long interview with Kirsan, where he tells you everything on his mind at the moment?

Of course, you wouldn’t. Who in their right mind would?

But there is one just published in English at:

http://chess-news.ru/en/node/24094

A few excerpts:

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov: "They Think That They Have Hurt My Ego. But I Don’t Have It..."

Dec. 17, 2017

The interviewer is Evgeny Surov

I just flew from Kabul. Recently I received a delegation from Kabul and met with an Israeli delegation – the secretary of Israel Chess Federation Gil Boruhovsky, who had just left me.

- Well, you are a man of the world, that is, no one can be too far away from you.

"World" is a proper definition. Right now, I and Gil discussed holding a match between the children of Israel and Palestine. There is already a sponsor. I was in Israel a few weeks ago. I met with leadership of the local chess federation and told them about my programme and my plans. You know that I have been financing the "Chess in schools" programme since 2010. We have already introduced chess as an elective and obligatory subject in many schools.

We have agreed on the extension of this programme with Israel Chess Federation and representatives of Israeli Ministry of Education and some municipalities. That's when the idea of holding a match between the children of Israel and Palestine was born. When I came to Moscow, I met with an Israeli billionaire Michael Strauss, who, incidentally, had built a coffee-producing plant "Black Card" in Russia.

He is one of the largest coffee suppliers in the world. He owns cafes and restaurants in Israel. And every year he holds music festivals on the border between Israel and Palestine. We agreed that he will sponsor this world chess match. Here he was at my house and we discussed the best time for holding it – either January or February. And at the very moment you called me.

Just two days ago, I was in Afghanistan. There, I distributed chess sets among children under the slogan "Chess instead of Kalashnikov". I asked them to give Taliban children a thousand chess sets so that they would play chess instead of fighting and carrying out terrorist attacks.

- Kirsan Nikolaevich, I wanted to ask you a question. "Chess instead of Kalashnikov" is a good slogan. However, the war between Russia and Ukraine lasts for almost four years now. Shouldn’t we apply this slogan here rather than so far away? Why Afghanistan? Of course, I understand the reason why, but we also would benefit from chess instead of Kalashnikov here.

You know that I was in Ukraine several times. Perhaps, I am the only Russian public figure who visited Kiev, met with presidential administration, was in the parliament – Verkhovna Rada and met with the mayor of Kiev Vitaly Klitschko. We started to implement the "Chess in schools" programme there and I opened a chess pavilion in Taras Shevchenko Park. I visited Lviv several times and met with the mayor. I exchanged souvenirs with Piotr Alekseevich Poroshenko. Besides, I gave him a Kalmyk chess set. You can find its photos on the internet. We even held the Women’s World Chess Championship in Lviv the year before last. That is, my slogan "Chess instead of Kalashnikov" is used everywhere.

Three weeks ago, I was in South Korea and met with former president Park Geun-hye. I spoke at a meeting with representatives of South Korea Chess Federation. They even made a written request asking me to go to North Korea and make every effort so that a hundred of North Korean children will participate in international tournament in Pyeongchang in February 2018. The Winter Olympic Games will take place there at the same time. I discussed this issue with officials from the South Korean government. They guarantee the safety of children and are ready to provide accommodation and pay for their trip...

I will soon fly to North Korea to present a proposal of South Korea Chess Federation so that the children may come and play chess in the Olympic Village. That’s how I develop chess.
    _________

- Kirsan Nikolaevich, what is happening with election? Frankly, I got confused and I do not understand who wants to be elected and who does not, who frames who and so on. Can you explain how you see it at the moment?

For me, the situation is simple. Maybe some are intriguing and some want to make extra money but one thing is clear for me: according to FIDE Charter, elections are held every four years. I was elected in August 11, 2014. 110 countries voted for me and 60 voted for Garry Kimovich Kasparov, the thirteenth world champion. The next elections will be held in late September 2018. Registration for election and nomination of candidates will take place in June.

Some FIDE officials began to plot against me and asked me to voluntary resign, although I always stated that the president is elected for a four year term at the General Assembly. The president cannot be elected if he is in prison or mentally ill only – which should be confirmed by a medical commission. And since I'm a normal and healthy person with a lot of opportunities, I am able to work before elections for almost a year...
    ________

- Let’s talk about the logic and Makropoulos, since we are on that subject. What's the story about the document, which Silvio Danailov put on Twitter? According to it, you allegedly signed a decree on allocation of certain funds for medical treatment of Makropoulos in 2014. The amount was a hundred of thousands of euros or dollars.

That’s not clear. As I understand it, 118 604 euros were spent on medical treatment of Makropoulos. I never signed any documents related to one hundred eighteen thousand euros and I do not remember that this issue was ever raised.

After all, what is FIDE money? Apart from my sponsorship money it includes membership fees, competitions revenue and so on. Therefore, this issue should be considered not only by Presidential Council but FIDE General Assembly as well. There, delegates approve the budget for a year or two years, and then spend the budget money. So, this issue was never discussed by Presidential Council or FIDE Executive Committee or the General Assembly.

- Did you sign it?

No, I did not sign it.

- But there is your signature.

Well, if only Makropoulos had called me from Antalya and said: "Look, Kirsan, 500,000 euros of sponsorship money arrived; can I take 100,000 for treatment? I'll return it later." I can see now that 100,000 dollars were sent to some hospital. And I do not even know the hospital. And there is not my signature but facsimile. And the date is wrong. I was in Moscow at that time and did not hear anything about it. In general, it is worth investigating. When he got sick, I gave him some money. It's not quite appropriate to talk about this but he was very sick and had several operations...

- Did it happen within the same period?

No, he was sick in 2015 or 2016. I need to check. As FIDE head, I did not give order to spend one hundred eighteen thousand euros for a medical treatment. This issue has to be investigated! Otherwise, any member of FIDE or any member of the Presidential Council may ask a hundred thousand or fifty thousand euros for a treatment. Isn’t it so?

After all, Ilyumzhinov cannot control the FIDE budget money. The delegates of General Assembly control it. What if someone said: "Why should we give one hundred eighteen thousand euros to the medical treatment of Makropoulos when some other chess player is much sicker?" Or: "I'm too sick; I need to get tested, please, give me thirty thousand". Is it logical? Why money was transferred somewhere without a reason?

- You said that it’s worth investigating. And who is going to do it? I am afraid no one will.

Well, there's FIDE Ethics Commission. I know that Nigel Short appealed it once. They are now trying, putting it mildly, to prove something... For example, I'm President of FIDE and control all finances. Short wrote an open letter long ago. Some chess players and even entire federations sent letters to Commission. However, so far there was no response. If they answer and clarify what exactly has been discussed and what decision has been made then everything will be clear. However, if nothing was discussed, then I have no clue what it was.

I tell it one more time. I do not judge. I have no right to make any verdicts or decisions. Let competent authorities handle this and all questions will be answered.

Re: A Long, Long Interview with Kirsan Ilyumzhinov

What does all that say about those who voted to put Kirsan Ilyumzhinov in power?

Comment

Working...
    X