New Rules: Any changes to address problems from 2017 Canadian Zonal!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: nasty, but possible

Sure... make a note... and get forfeited for making a note. Making notes is specifically prohibited.

Comment

Re: New Rules: Any changes to address problems from 2017 Canadian Zonal!?

And if the arbiter is off somewhere else? What then? Not uncommon, apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
        You are not required to go and look for the arbiter. Just raise your hand and wave.
        It is forbidden to disturb your opponent.

The arbiter may give some time to the player in your particular case.
        But in this case he has no evidence to accept your claim over the cheater's.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
          Sure... make a note... and get forfeited for making a note. Making notes is specifically prohibited.
          Writing time is not prohibited. It will be more difficult to find a scoresheet in blitz game LOL

Originally posted by Dan Scoones View Post
          And if the arbiter is off somewhere else? What then? Not uncommon, apparently.
          You'll make a note to avoid his/her tournaments.

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
          It is forbidden to disturb your opponent.

But in this case he has no evidence to accept your claim over the cheater's.
          The previous rule change removed a word "strictly" in this sentence: "12.1 The arbiter shall see that the Laws of Chess are observed." Thus, the arbiter should solve the issue without making a bigger mess. How often do you meet players who would try to win in a such way, instead of resolving it peacefully? Please give their names and I'll add to my "avoid list" LOL
          Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 9th January, 2018, 12:19 AM.

Comment

so naive...

Comment

At this stage, I want to thank everyone who has posted on this thread. I am very busy for the next few days, but hope to get back after the crush has been resolved, to respond in detail. It is an important discussion! :)

Comment

The CFC needs to examine the core of its purpose, in developing, administering, and promoting Canadian chess, in context with its membership in FIDE, and responsibilities to FIDE, in order to deal properly with this horrific situation, from the Canadian Championship 2017 in Montreal, disputed playoff between GM Sambuev and IM Noritsyn. The CFC has already botched that appeal beyond belief. Now, as the chess organization which serves as Canada's sole point of contact with FIDE, the world chess federation, the CFC has the duty to proceed to FIDE with this incident, to inform fully, and to transit my offered solution, to the general case of this problem, going forward (along with the suggested solutions from others, if these exist).

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                  The CFC needs to examine the core of its purpose, in developing, administering, and promoting Canadian chess, in context with its membership in FIDE, and responsibilities to FIDE, in order to deal properly with this horrific situation, from the Canadian Championship 2017 in Montreal, disputed playoff between GM Sambuev and IM Noritsyn. The CFC has already botched that appeal beyond belief. Now, as the chess organization which serves as Canada's sole point of contact with FIDE, the world chess federation, the CFC has the duty to proceed to FIDE with this incident, to inform fully, and to transit my offered solution, to the general case of this problem, going forward (along with the suggested solutions from others, if these exist).
                  CFC Exec. doesn't have an attention span ... there's your first problem right there, Frank.

And if, by chance, they do ... it is directly proportional to the amount of Voting Member's persistence. So, good stuff such as, 'core of its purpose', 'developing', and 'promoting Canadian chess' (etc.) aren't even a consideration until the VMs force it to become one.

They got screwed over for 60k and it didn't even phase them. Obtaining Power of Attorney from Anton was beyond their ability. And you want them to do what??? Seems like they'll do whatever FIDE tells them to do.And forget about developing their brand here in Canada ... seriously, I have NO idea what these people (CFC Exec.) do all day long ...day after day after day. Complete waste of opportunity.

Their charity status annulment looks good on them ALL ...every single one of them and their 'counsel' too! And they wear it sooo well. What a bunch of geniuses ...and man, do they ever love to post how great they all are to this very day. Such exceptional arrogance!

Frank, push the VMs. Go through a VM (maybe Garland still cares enough, but I think he was reined in) and build a group VM email on your issue. Perhaps then something might get done ...maybe?
                  Last edited by Neil Frarey; Tuesday, 23rd January, 2018, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Come on guys. Of the 11 posters to this thread - as of today 10 aren't even members of the CFC. If you want to have an effective voice - support the CFC by becoming a member, or (even better) a voting member.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                      Come on guys. Of the 11 posters to this thread - as of today 10 aren't even members of the CFC. If you want to have an effective voice - support the CFC by becoming a member, or (even better) a voting member.
                      There is that. If you want the CFC to respond it would probably be a good idea to post questions on the official CFC forum. I have spent too much time on Chesstalk and will probably be cutting back on it. I'm getting busier. Given that I have not received a response on what tournament announcements will be considered advertising I will probably limit my posts about upcoming international events to the CFC forum and website. If you don't pay attention to what is going on there you will lose opportunities for official player status and such that will potentially cost you benefits worth hundreds of dollars and in some cases thousands of dollars. My guess is that after it happens a few times players and parents will get the message.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
                        Come on guys. Of the 11 posters to this thread - as of today 10 aren't even members of the CFC.
                        You should recount and recheck. At least Dixon, Belzberg, Patterson, me are members.

Comment

Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Tuesday, 23rd January, 2018, 11:46 PM.

Comment

I apologize. For some of those players I was looking at the "last tournament date" field.

Comment

I invite Frank and Neil to run for a position on the CFC executive. The executive spent an extensive amount of time discussing the Sambuev-Noritsyn game. We disagreed, debated and voted. There was not unanimity. I do not think a change in the rules of chess are needed to address what took place. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                                Obtaining Power of Attorney from Anton was beyond their ability.
                                Power of attorney does not matter if the witness is unwilling to participate. We did all we could with the hand we were dealing with. Anton had rational reasons for his position. We respect those reasons.

Comment

Working...
                                X