X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby Fischer’s Final Days

Bobby Fischer’s Final Days

January 18, 2018

Ten years ago, Bobby Fischer passed away.

ChessBase has an article on Fischer’s last days taken from the book of his friend, Gardar Sverrison. It is in Icelandic, entitled “Yfir farinn veg með Bobby Fischer" and a promised English edition has yet to appear.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/bobby-...r-s-final-days

It is a very saddening memoir to read. I quote two paragraphs from December 2007:

In 2007, it became clear that something was seriously amiss with Bobby’s health. But he insisted that this be kept entirely secret and would not agree to visit a doctor. He started spending a lot more time in Gardar and Kristín’s apartment

“Miyoko [Fischer’s Japanese wife] came in December and stayed for nearly two weeks. During this time, she did her best to make life easier for Bobby, did his grocery shopping and cooked him all kinds of Japanese dishes. Eiríkur the urologist called me periodically to ask after Bobby’s health. Initially I looked on this as simple thoughtfulness, as the time has long since passed when Icelandic doctors called of their own volition to ask how a patient was feeling.

Three days before Christmas, Miyoko left. While she had been here, Bobby’s health had deteriorated. His pain had increased and he had developed a nasty bedsore that Kristín tried to clean and manage with appropriate salves. Despite these complaints and general physical weakness, Bobby wanted to go with her to do some Christmas shopping. Though Kristín offered to go for him, he could not be persuaded out of participating in the shopping expedition himself.”

On January 17, 2008, Bobby passed away in the Landsspitalinn (hospital) in Reykjavik.

Re: Bobby Fischer’s Final Days

Sometimes we feel inundated by the amount of Fischer material but this is a very good read. Most remarkable even days from the end he was a true tournament chess player spending way too much time analyzing (many different times) the intricacies of a chess position trying to discover that "killer" move.

Comment

Working...
    X