Canadian WGM, GM, WIM and IM titled players ... the complete list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canadian WGM, GM, WIM and IM titled players ... the complete list?

I think it would make sense to have a mark indicating deceased.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
      Also sadly, Vujosevic, Smilja is no longer with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred McKim View Post
        Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
        Also sadly, Vujosevic, Smilja is no longer with us.
        Thanks for the suggestion, Fred. Updated the list above using the asterisk symbol for now ... mainly because I can't seem to get this forum (which use Tahoma typeface and yes has the unicode dagger/obelisk symbol ( u+2020 and copy/paste doesn't work either) commonly used to indicate deceased to work, grr!

Thanks for the note Ian, sorry to read that Smilja Vujosevic has passed.
        Last edited by Neil Frarey; Sunday, 28th January, 2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
          Thanks for the suggestion, Fred. Updated the list above using the asterisk symbol for now ... mainly because I can't seem to get this forum (which use Tahoma typeface and yes has the unicode dagger/obelisk symbol ( u+2020 and copy/paste doesn't work either) commonly used to indicate deceased to work, grr!

Thanks for the note Ian, sorry to read that Smilja Vujosevic has passed.
          Another asterik for Schleifer, Michael *

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Malmsten View Post
            Another asterik for Schleifer, Michael *
            OK, thanks Erik. That's really sad news.

Comment

If there had to be just one player from each title to represent their respective title which WGM, GM, WIM or IM would that be?

WGM ... Zhou, Qiyu
              GM ... ?
              WIM ... ?
              IM ... ?

In the our current layout design we have designated 4 feature squares, each feature square as a representational player of their respective title. I could simply write a javascript script that would random select a player from their respective title category each time your browser is refreshed but I thought that one player might stand above all others.

Perhaps something like Canada's 1st WGM, GM, WIM, or IM might be OK?
              Last edited by Neil Frarey; Wednesday, 31st January, 2018, 01:55 AM.

Comment

GM: Yanofsky, followed by Spraggett
                IM: Lawrence Day
                WIM: Nava Starr

Although perhaps I am showing my age.

Comment

January 31, 2018

I take it that Harry Yanofsky, Lionel Joyner and George Berner never got the master title?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Komer View Post

January 31, 2018

I take it that Harry Yanofsky, Lionel Joyner and George Berner never got the master title?
                    I played Mr. Joyner in tournaments a few times when he made his comeback in the late 80s. Even then he was at least close to IM strength. Presumably when he was younger he was even stronger.
                    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Conversely you could always show the most recent person to achieve a title and show that as the image, so we can always see who are our newest titled players.

Comment

Looks good to me, thanks so much!

Comment

Hm, this seems even better.

Thanks again!

Comment

Thanks Wayne for the suggestions! Did some diggin' but couldn't find any reference(s) to any of those players as having a GM or IM title. Found a lot of great credits to how masterfully they played such as some records from the Hart House C.C. https://harthousechess.com/history/

Of the three it would seem that Lionel Joyner would have qualified ... amongst other accomplishments he was Canadian Champion 1961.

Glad I went through this process. Met a lot of players I had no idea of how deep we were/are as nation ... and also we now have a definitive list. A list which can be expressed in a visual composition as much as it can be in simple dry text.

Comment

Working...
                            X