Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM Pascal Charbonneau Interview

https://omny.fm/shows/perpetual-ches...e1ac-185875745
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Re: GM Pascal Charbonneau Interview

Nice interview. I did not know Sid Belzberg gave Pascal his start in his world of finance. I wonder how many readers of Chesstalk realize how much Sid did for a lot of chessplayers?

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
      Nice interview. I did not know Sid Belzberg gave Pascal his start in his world of finance. I wonder how many readers of Chesstalk realize how much Sid did for a lot of chessplayers?
      We do.

It is important to emphasize that Sid's generosity extends far beyond 'merely' material things. When he was taking Team Canada to the Olympiads, Sid would make sure that the youngest players would enjoy the same red-carpet treatment as established stars. Canadian chess community was extremely fortunate to have Alicia and Sid support and nurture a whole generation of players.

Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Belzberg!

Comment

Represent!

Comment

GM Pascal Charbonneau Interview

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post
          Pascal was not the only chess player Sid gave a job to.

I recall playing a couple of blitz games against Sid and Ron Livshits in his office.

Comment

How time flies. Its probably more than 10 years since Pascal's cross Canada simul tour (organized by Larry). I still have the medallions and memories. Pascal must be in his mid thirties with a successful career and a son, and still has a passion for chess. Good to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
              We do.

It is important to emphasize that Sid's generosity extends far beyond 'merely' material things. When he was taking Team Canada to the Olympiads, Sid would make sure that the youngest players would enjoy the same red-carpet treatment as established stars. Canadian chess community was extremely fortunate to have Alicia and Sid support and nurture a whole generation of players.

Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Belzberg!
              I believe Yan Teplitsky worked there at the same time as Ron.
              Last edited by Ian Findlay; Wednesday, 31st January, 2018, 05:58 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Thanks for this Tom!

Of course, Pascal is someone very special for the Chess'n Math Association. He learned the game through our system and his dad..Yves Charbonneau was the President of our organization for more than 10 years. The whole family, are very precious people, and have been close to us for decades. We organized a Canadian tour for Pascal in 2006...for details of this historic tour go to...

http://chesstalk.com/pascal_charbonneau_tour/

Larry

Comment

Here is an interview I did for ChessTalk with Sid Belzberg, way back when:

http://chesstalk.com/belzberg_interview/

Comment

Working...
                  X