• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Book on the Life of Vladimir Kramnik to Appear

New Book on the Life of Vladimir Kramnik to Appear

February 5, 2018

From ChessBase:

https://en.chessbase.com/post/interv...adimir-kramnik

Carsten Hensel was the manager of Peter Leko and Vladimir Kramnik and was directly involved in the most important chess events during a very tumultuous time for chess. Now he written a book about the life of Vladmir Kramnik which will appear soon.

An excerpt:

And when did you start to manage Kramnik's career, too? How did that come about?

Vlad and I also met in the early 1990s, in Dortmund, of course. This turned into a friendship that still lasts today. On this basis I occasionally helped him with certain issues. For instance, in organising a training camp before his World Championship against Kasparov in London 2000. After winning against Garry things were just too much for Kramnik. He had no organisational structures at all. And this during the most conflictual time in professional chess. In 2002, I became Kramnik's manager. I first asked Peter for permission. He immediately agreed.

As manager of Kramnik you took part in a number of important events.

Yes, much more than I can list here. Of course, there were his World Champion matches, the duels against the machine or his ten wins in Dortmund. But a lot of other events were also important. The Candidates Tournament 2002 comes to mind, or Linares 2003, where Kramnik and I were under a lot of pressure. Leko was challenger and everybody asked us where and when the World Championship match would be played. At this time our holder of rights, the Einstein group, went through a time of economic turmoil. But Kramnik shook all pressure off and won the tournament together with his challenger Leko, ahead of Kasparov and Anand.

How did the man-vs-machine fight, Deep Fritz against Kramnik, Bahrain 2002, come about? How did Kramnik feel about playing against a machine? How did he prepare?

The agreement between Braingames, at that time the holder of rights, and the Kingdom of Bahrain, was already made before the World Championship match between Kramnik and Kasparov took place. But because of 9/11 the match was deferred twice. At least, this was the official reason. We had basically abandoned the whole issue when I met Yousuf Al-Shirawi at the airport in Dusseldorf. After that things worked out after all.

The reunification match 2006 against Topalov was marred by a number of ugly events. What happened in Elista?

Read the book! I think the whole story is clearly presented in it.
    _________

As far as I know, the book will be published in German in February, 2018

Carsten Hensel:

Wladimir Kramnik - Aus dem Leben eines Schachgenies

304 pages
    13,9 x 21,2 cm
    Hardcover
    Photos Annotations by Vladimir Kramnik
    ISBN: 978-3-7307-0389-2
    Price: 24.90 euro
    Werkstatt-Verlag
Working...