We have updated our Strategy Games Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have updated our Strategy Games Site!

I know, it has been a long time coming! We were hoping to get the upgrade done for the beginning of November 2017...we missed the Xmas season unfortunately...but as they say...better late than never!

Please, take a look and give us your feedback: www.strategygames.ca

ChessTalk is paid for by Strategy Games which belongs to the Chess'n Math Association.

Sincerely,

Larry

Re: We have updated our Strategy Games Site!

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
    I know, it has been a long time coming! We were hoping to get the upgrade done for the beginning of November 2017...we missed the Xmas season unfortunately...but as they say...better late than never!

ChessTalk is paid for by Strategy Games which belongs to the Chess'n Math Association.

Sincerely,

Larry
    2cnts: some pictures of the books are from XIX century; some books lack pictures; generation of the second page is quite slow; don't see bargain and/or used books sections :)

Otherwise a nice fresher look.

Comment

I noticed the fuzzy pics...we have to look into that for sure...thanks for your feedback! Slow generation of 2nd page...will have to be investigated...much appreciated...missing photos will take some time...but hopefully we will be at 100% by the next holiday season lol

Comment

Hi Larry
        Not sure what to make of the new site
        I used the following search terms
        -Avrukh: nothing(expecting to see his latest book vol 2A white repertoire)
        -Axel Smith: got nothing(expecting to see e3 Poison)
        -Quality Chess: got nothing(expecting to see lots of books)
        -Tiger's Modern: got the old first edition but not the new 2014 edition
        -I see lots of older titles but nothing new
        Overall I was expecting to see new titles listed first so I would not have to go through each category. Maybe I missed something but the site does not seem too useful for chess books, especially the new titles which are coming out very fast from New in Chess, Quality Chess, Chess Evolution and Thinkers Publishing etc.

Comment

Thanks Michael!

I assume you are still living in Budapest...maybe the titles you mention have not crossed the ocean yet...I will certainly look into what you have pointed out and I will check with our U.S. distributors. I will post an update here in the next 10 days.

Your input is much appreciated!

Larry

Comment

Hi Larry, most common reason could be because the image size and image format.

When raster formats (.jpg, .gif, etc..) are being enlarged (a.k.a. scaled up) a 'fuzziness' will occur. For example when a 50px x 50px .jpg is enlarged to fill an area of 300px x 300px. This is because the pixel information in a given format and color gamut is being 'stretched'.

Best practice is to scale down a raster image ... and also to use a .png format to help keep file size down thereby keep page load time brief as possible.

And I just noticed from this page...

https://strategygames.ca/store/en

...the three text boxes under the 'carousel' should perhaps link to a product page instead of scrolling through onclick?
            Last edited by Neil Frarey; Friday, 9th February, 2018, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Hi Larry yes still here in Budapest.
              Some suggestions
              -visitors should have a choice of how many items get displayed per page(now set a 12) as it is quite tedious to go through
              -need pdf excerpts when possible(this seems normal at NIC etc)
              -need easy search by publisher and author
              -new items should a separate category. Items coming soon also useful
              -best sellers list is interesting
              NIC sends me an email when there is something new maybe you already do this

There is a nice new book on The Pirc Defence-Marin(Quality Chess) which i liked a lot. but I like books in general :)

Hope this helps

Comment

Nice blue band across the top.

I like the white king while waiting for the page to load.

I like the pretty book covers.The titles have enough room for at least author (if not publisher and year).

Six product categories is excellent. I didn't find sub categories on the left at first. Would be nice to see them when mouse hovers over a category.

Chess Materials - Trophy should be trophies or prizes. When I do search the subcategories don't come up. Did a search for authors, publisher, country with poor results.

Searching for the French worked. Some books need to have tags added to them that aren't in the title. e.g. problems. The Chess Attacker's Handbook, winning chess puzzles, or Checkmate Universe doesn't come up when searching for tactics. No books for girls, teacher or trainer (e.g. Manual Step 4)

One computer and Software, or is it computers or hardware or electronics or digital.

Too much space between the top to book name to shopping cart to book cover, could easily click on wrong item below.

A list puts CD volume 1 on a different page than volume 2, they should be together.

Sometimes I would just want a text list, can't I click on text only option. It was difficult to go through 91 books on the Sicilian.

Interesting sort (and the number of books not available on screens which show subcategories), but can't it be more visible, like the top line or at the top of of the side. I don't know what a subcategory is.

I don't like seeing English by a book title that is obvious English. No services in Chinese or Russian?

Is there an online consultant available "Ask an Expert", especial for parents/grandparents of chess kids.

How many CMA teachers do you have? I would love for all of them to go over the list and mark their favourites, then when a book description comes up it can say recommended by 25 teachers. Harder to have a nice one sentence comment.

And it's too bad that search engines won't go deeper than your dead first page. Should have a newsy first page with new material every week: what;s hot, what kids are excited about, congrats to latest tourney winner

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post

Sincerely,

Larry
                  Diacritic marks not displaying properly, at least on iPad safari

Comment

Thanks you for your feedback...our guys will look into it.

Larry

Comment

Working...
                    X