2018 Aurora Spring Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Aurora Spring Open

Details of the tournament are on the club's website: http://www.aucc.club/2018-aurora-spr...18aspodetails/
    At this moment there are 52 registered players and 11 spots left in JU900 - http://www.aucc.club/2018-aurora-spr...tered-players/
    The link to chess-results - http://chess-results.com/tnr333873.a...t=0&turdet=YES

Important information:

Dates: March 24-25, 2018

Place: The Royal Canadian Legion 89 Industrial Parkway North, Aurora, Ontario L4G 4C4

Prizes: First in Open Section - minimum 500 CAD. Overall prize fund $2000+ (based on entries).

Sections: Open and U2000 - CFC & FIDE rated; U1600 - CFC rated.

We are changing two lowest sections composition:

U1300 - bellow 1300 and unrated, Juniors (under 20 years) with rating bellow 900 and unrated will be playing in their special Junior section JU900 - both sections CFC rated. JU900 section is limited to 36 players.

The tournament is limited to 150 players. We had two previous tournaments sold out. Please don't delay your registration.

Time Control: 90 minutes per player + 30 seconds per move starting from move one.

Entry fees: Players must be CFC members. GM, WGM, IM and WIM free entry if confirmed by March 20.

Paid by March 20 (Tuesday) - 70 CAD
    Paid by March 23 (Friday 5 pm) - 80 CAD
    Tournament day - 100 CAD; paired for Round 2

For an additional Play-up fee 30 CAD a player can enter the higher Section if his/her rating is less than 100 points lower than the Section floor limit.

Registration: Only players who have registered and paid will be paired for Round one. Round one pairings will be posted in advance on our website late Friday night. You no longer need to check-in on Saturday as in previous tournaments.

Chess pieces, boards, and clocks provided by Aurora Chess Club.
    Water and drinks for players.
    Legion plans to serve some food.
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 19th February, 2018, 02:35 PM.

Re: 2018 Aurora Spring Open

Updated the player's list - http://www.aucc.club/2018-aurora-spr...tered-players/
    67 now.

Comment

The Junior U900 section is filled with 36 players, and new registrations will be added to a waiting list. Juniors with +801 rating might consider playing-up. If not many entries will be in other sections (to fill the room with 150 players), then players on the waiting list will fill free spots.

We're close to 90 players at this moment. The list will be updated in couple days with new ratings.

Comment

96 players on the list
        http://www.aucc.club/2018-aurora-spr...tered-players/

Comment

There is no open section.

We read this : a player can enter the higher Section if his/her rating is less than 100 points lower than the Section floor limit.
          Last edited by Denis Gauthier; Monday, 5th March, 2018, 12:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Gauthier View Post
            There is no open section.

We read this : a player can enter the higher Section if his/her rating is less than 100 points lower than the Section floor limit.
            Hi Denis...thank you for your input. I'm told you raised some concerns in the past about our use of the word 'Open' and it's meaning.
            I'm not on Chesstalk often...to be honest I personally don't find it a particularly friendly or supportive forum. Lots of angry threads and discussions that spiral downward into abuse in a hurry.
            Let me address your concern before this tournament thread goes that route.

I believe it was explained that our use of the term OPEN is multifold. We have many member-only tournaments, so we call this tournament OPEN as it is open to non club members as well.
            We call our top section OPEN because every other section has a ceiling...this one is OPEN at the top. Many other tournaments also use OPEN as their top section. Lastly, of the more than 1000 players who have participated in our tournaments since I've been involved, not one attending player has had any issue or raised any complaint about calling the top section OPEN. This includes many of the top players in Canada. It seemed a non-issue.

Having said that, I did receive a email from someone who took the time to write the club directly and advise that 'Open' has a special meaning in some chess tournament language.
            Saying a section is OPEN could mean that anyone regardless of rating would be able to play. While none of our participants have even had this confusion I do appreciate the point being made.

It is too late to change for our Spring tournament - advertising is done and now 105+ players have registered. We expect to sell out again in the next week or so.

We will however look at another name for our top section at our next tournament.

I hope this satisfies your concern. Truthfully, of all the four letter words to get us in trouble I didn't think OPEN would be the one causing the most noise : )

Yours in chess,
            Chris Tapping.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Tapping View Post
              Hi Denis...thank you for your input. I'm told you raised some concerns in the past about our use of the word 'Open' and it's meaning.
              I'm not on Chesstalk often...to be honest I personally don't find it a particularly friendly or supportive forum. Lots of angry threads and discussions that spiral downward into abuse in a hurry.
              Let me address your concern before this tournament thread goes that route.

I believe it was explained that our use of the term OPEN is multifold. We have many member-only tournaments, so we call this tournament OPEN as it is open to non club members as well.
              We call our top section OPEN because every other section has a ceiling...this one is OPEN at the top. Many other tournaments also use OPEN as their top section. Lastly, of the more than 1000 players who have participated in our tournaments since I've been involved, not one attending player has had any issue or raised any complaint about calling the top section OPEN. This includes many of the top players in Canada. It seemed a non-issue.

Having said that, I did receive a email from someone who took the time to write the club directly and advise that 'Open' has a special meaning in some chess tournament language.
              Saying a section is OPEN could mean that anyone regardless of rating would be able to play. While none of our participants have even had this confusion I do appreciate the point being made.

It is too late to change for our Spring tournament - advertising is done and now 105+ players have registered. We expect to sell out again in the next week or so.

We will however look at another name for our top section at our next tournament.

I hope this satisfies your concern. Truthfully, of all the four letter words to get us in trouble I didn't think OPEN would be the one causing the most noise : )

Yours in chess,
              Chris Tapping.
              Hi Chris: a friendly and gracious response....well said on all the issues. Bob A

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
                Hi Chris: a friendly and gracious response....well said on all the issues. Bob A
                I also agree Chris; a well constructed and thoughtful response.
                I am sorry you do not post on CT more often - it definitely raises the bar with respect to civility of posts.
                ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                X