Banff Open 2018 - Limited Space this year so enter early!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banff Open 2018 - Limited Space this year so enter early!

I am proud to announce the 2018 Banff Open will take place Nov 10-12, 2018. We are limiting the tournament to the first 100 entries, so please register on the website as soon as you can. This will be the 3rd year and I will only be able to organize 1 or 2 more after this event. This is your chance to play chess in the mountains. See last's year's great article on Chessbase by Agnieszka Matras-Clement, who has already told me she will play again this year! Link: https://en.chessbase.com/post/banff-...-the-mountains

Please register and see more information about entree fees, accommodation and pre-registered list. We have raised to entry fee to $45 (various discounts apply) to try to give this tournament the richest prize fund in Alberta. Link: http://www.albertachess.org/2018BO.php

New this year
    1) Our Tournament Director will be Mark Dutton IA IO. Mark has been directing tournaments as long as I can remember. I grew up in Toronto, where his tournaments were legendary. He is a great promoter of the game and one of the reasons we have to limit the entries. His tournaments tend to attract a lot of people as witnessed by the growth of the Grand Pacific Open.

2) Special Bobblehead promotion. I will wait for our sponsor Neil Frarey from SoCA to give details here later.

3) Additional Sponsorship - In addition to SoCA, Alberta Chess Association and Banff Centre, the CUPE Local 4318 has also made a generous donation this year.

4) Our Wine and Cheese party hosted by Janice Price, the President of the Banff Centre and myself promises to be bigger and better this year.

5) Any GMS, IMS, WGMS, WIMS interested in playing please contact me (my email is on our website above) and I will try to get you special accommodation.

Re: Banff Open 2018 - Limited Space this year so enter early!

Originally posted by Ian Findlay View Post

2) Special Bobblehead promotion. I will wait for our sponsor Neil Frarey from SoCA to give details here later.
    Incredibly humbled to play in your space once again, thanks Ian.

Add to that, totally amazing for us to be able to promote your event through the creation of yet another world first ... chess grandmaster bobbleheads!

And if that isn't enough ... add to that that, how even more amazing it is to be able to create these chess GM bobbleheads of two of Canada's most accomplished players ... GM Eric Hansen and GM Anton Kovalyov.

Simply WOW.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Eric and Anton for granting us their permissions.

EPIC stuff in the making !!!
    Last edited by Neil Frarey; Thursday, 8th March, 2018, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks Neil,

Looking forward to the epic bobbleheads. We have some early entries including Agnieszka Matras-Clement WIM who is always #1 or 2 rated female in Canada as well as FM Ian Findlay (me!). Next week I will be hopefully announcing the advance entry of an International Master, just waiting for confirmation.

Comment

IM Brian Hartman has indicated playing in the 2018 edition. Brian was most prominent in the 1980s when he won over 50 events, including the 1985 Canadian Open, 1985 US Masters (tied with GMs Benjamin and Bisguier), and came 2nd 3 times in the Canadian Closed (1984, 1987, 1992). He indicates he enjoyed losing rating points in the 2017 edition, but will be better prepared for 2018.

Comment

I am happy to announce, Pat Moore, a chess player, but also a professional Jazz musician, will give a short live performance at the Wine and Cheese Party on Sunday night. Our house is wired for sound, since we host many parties each year with live entertainment. Live entertainment during the Banff Open is a first. Our website with advance entries should be updated soon. Link: http://www.albertachess.org/2018BO.php

Comment

Working...
          X