Rules Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules Question

In a serious rated game, player A's queen is under attack but by mistake he first picks up another piece and admits his error to the TD. Is there any discretion? If the opponent, player B, does not claim "touch move" may the TD permit player A to move his queen instead?

Re: Rules Question

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    In a serious rated game, player A's queen is under attack but by mistake he first picks up another piece and admits his error to the TD. Is there any discretion? If the opponent, player B, does not claim "touch move" may the TD permit player A to move his queen instead?
    "picks up" is a deliberate (intent) act per rules. Thus, the arbiter shall enforce a "touch-move" rule.

"4.2.2 Any other physical contact with a piece, except for clearly accidental contact, shall be considered to be intent."

Explanations in the Handbook: "According to this rule, if a player has not said “I adjust” before touching a piece and touching the piece is not accidental, the touched piece must be moved."

The recommendations for an arbiter:
    "If an arbiter observes a violation of Article 4, he must always intervene immediately. He should not wait for a claim to be submitted by a player."

Comment

Re: Rules Question

Originally posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
      Hi Gord:

I don't know about the technical question about when an arbiter gets involved.

But my guess, as a patzer, is that it might be arguable that if the opponent refuses to make a "touch move claim", then the arbiter has no dispute to resolve, and so he has no jurisdiction to get involved.

However, on the other hand, the arbiter is the enforcer of the rules, and perhaps in this case he can intervene unilaterally, despite the opposition of the opponent, to force compliance of the touch move rule on both players.

What I do know is that at Scarborough Chess Club (Friendly Chess since 1961), it is not rare that where a chess friend opponent in a serious game makes a beginner's blunder, when it should not happen given the other player's strength, both players will waive the touch move rule, and the player offending gets, again, to move any piece he can legally.

Bob A

Comment

Working...
      X