Dates conflict: 2018 OHSCC and 2018 OYCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dates conflict: 2018 OHSCC and 2018 OYCC

I am posting this as a public service, to inform Canadian chess people of a most unfortunate situation. This is NOT a tournament promotion post.

As it currently stands, the dates for the 2018 Ontario High School Chess Championship (OHSCC) and the 2018 Ontario Youth Chess Championship (OYCC) are in conflict.

Both events are scheduled for the second week in May. The OHSCC is planned for Toronto, while the OYCC is planned for the Kitchener area. There is a one-day overlap.

Both the OHSCC and the OYCC have the Ontario Chess Association as sponsors and partners, for their respective events.

The OHSCC set its event dates in November, 2017, some four months ago, and informed chess organizations around the province. There was no disagreement. Its organizing group booked the hall, and set up a plan for player accomodation at that time, for out-of-town players. According to information given to me in recent days, the organizer for the 2018 OYCC, IA Patrick McDonald, recently set his dates, in full knowledge of the OHSCC plans, as being the only ones possible where he could obtain the hall to hold his event. (Could other halls, and thence other dates, have been considered? One would think so.) Apparently the OCA has signed off on the conflict, to the detriment of both events.

I need to declare that I have been associated with the OHSCC event for the past several years, including 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, and 2017. I will be a member of the tournament directing staff for the OHSCC for 2018.

I served as Deputy Arbiter for the very successful 2013 Canadian Youth Chess Championship (CYCC) in Ottawa.

Respectfully submitted,
    Frank Dixon, NTD
    Kingston

Re: Dates conflict: 2018 OHSCC and 2018 OYCC

Hi Frank:

I believe there was a post on here a few days ago about this but I can't find it now. I don't know how this conflict happened and it is indeed unfortunate. From what I read both events are considered to be qualifiers to the CYCC.

Steve

Comment

The conflicting dates for two major Ontario events for young players, needless in this case, also creates significant additional problems for organizers, on sharing of chess equipment, particularly clocks. Many if not most young players don't own their own digital clocks, so these have to be obtained, through helpful chess organizations and clubs, by the organizers, in advance.

Unfortunately, the inability of certain Canadian chess decision-makers to be respectful and considerate, to plan well, and to be accountable continues to hamper chess development.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
        The conflicting dates for two major Ontario events for young players, needless in this case, also creates significant additional problems for organizers, on sharing of chess equipment, particularly clocks. Many if not most young players don't own their own digital clocks, so these have to be obtained, through helpful chess organizations and clubs, by the organizers, in advance.

Unfortunately, the inability of certain Canadian chess decision-makers to be respectful and considerate, to plan well, and to be accountable continues to hamper chess development.
        I understand your dismay about this situation, but Kitchener and Toronto aren't exactly next door neighbours. Yes there may be some lost players from one tourney or another but it is hard to find halls for other dates as some organizers have said. I dont see anything wrong with this situation. I remember two Labour Day tournaments going on in Toronto and Kitchener a few years back, both having good events. Life goes on.

Comment

Those two tournaments are called Ontario High School Chess Championship (OHSCC) and the Ontario Youth Chess Championship (OYCC) not Toronto and Kitchener Championships.Every kid from Ontario should have an opportunity to attend both tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Starks View Post
            Those two tournaments are called Ontario High School Chess Championship (OHSCC) and the Ontario Youth Chess Championship (OYCC) not Toronto and Kitchener Championships.Every kid from Ontario should have an opportunity to attend both tournaments.
            It is agreed by everybody that it is unfortunate that the tournaments overlap. But exactly which group of "kids" do you see being disenfranchised by this?

Steve

Comment

If I was a High School Student I'd play in the 50th anniversary tournament. That is a historical event. It will never happen again.
              So Go for Christopher Field's event. Once in a lifetime tournament.

Comment

I don't think the high school championship will lose any players from Windsor. It is usually the group from Massey and they are planning on hitting the high school championship. The younger kids will go to OYCC.

Comment

There are very few players affected. In 2017, OYCC had 6 players in U18, and 14 in U16. (I don't know how many U14 were in secondary school.)

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Gooding View Post
                    I understand your dismay about this situation, but Kitchener and Toronto aren't exactly next door neighbours. Yes there may be some lost players from one tourney or another but it is hard to find halls for other dates as some organizers have said. I dont see anything wrong with this situation. I remember two Labour Day tournaments going on in Toronto and Kitchener a few years back, both having good events. Life goes on.
                    Yes, Gord. But Waterdown and Mississauga really are next door neighbors.
                    Waterdown has scheduled an event for April 14, same day as our Mississauga CYCC Qualifier, even though we were on the CFC website tournament schedule first.
                    I am surprised they did that. Gary is usually very good at avoiding scheduling conflicts.
                    He even boasting of signing up players from Mississauga.
                    I would like to say this doesn't annoy me, but that would be a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                      Yes, Gord. But Waterdown and Mississauga really are next door neighbors.
                      Waterdown has scheduled an event for April 14, same day as our Mississauga CYCC Qualifier, even though we were on the CFC website tournament schedule first.
                      I am surprised they did that. Gary is usually very good at avoiding scheduling conflicts.
                      He even boasting of signing up players from Mississauga.
                      I would like to say this doesn't annoy me, but that would be a lie.
                      Hi Bob,

I did not know that you schedule your qualifier on the same date. I could not get another date even though I tried to change the date of WCC Challenge.

I am really sorry that it has to clash with your qualifier.

Gary Hua

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Hua View Post
                        Hi Bob,

I did not know that you schedule your qualifier on the same date. I could not get another date even though I tried to change the date of WCC Challenge.

I am really sorry that it has to clash with your qualifier.

Gary Hua
                        We have cancelled it. We were able to switch our reservation to Sept 8 without penalty.
                        One less qualifier, but we have another one for May 26.

or maybe we make it a qualifier for 2019.

Comment

This thread is unfortunately disingenuous!

A year ago in May 2017, CMA published our 2017-18 Tournament schedule,
                          with the polite request to organizers to avoid previous unfortunate conflicts:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...ighlight=dates

Six months later, the wondrous Mr. Field announces his OHSCC on the same
                          date as our Grand Prix 3, obstinately refusing to change it, inconveniencing us.

Like the steward in the Bible, karma kicked in and bit him in the rear, when
                          Pat MacDonald in turn, organized his OYCC on the same date as the OHSCC!

What's sauce for the goose.......

Comment

Working...
                          X