This site could close down on March 31 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This site could close down on March 31 2018

Didn't quite make it to 10 years since switching to vB... close though. A few other stats:

It'll end up at almost exactly 120,000 posts.
    31 different people have made at least 1000 posts.
    Those 31 people total 65,679 posts which is 55.1% of the entire post total.
    Only 3 of those 31 are inactive.

Most replied-to thread: "The One and Only Climate Change Thread" with 1,238 replies.
    Most viewed thread: "Where will Kovalchuk end up?!" with 469,588 views. (That one for some reason was way up page 1 for Google searches, that's how it was viewed so often.)

Most replied-to Chess thread: "Blindfold Chess - the book" - 681 replies.
    Most viewed Chess thread: "Chess for Peace" - 278,843 views (again I suspect a Google rankings intervention as there are only 3 replies!)
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Wayne, your postings are truly one of the best things about Chesstalk. Whatever happens here, keep going!

Comment

RIP CHESS TALK -- an end to the toxicity Re: This site could close down March 31 2018

In the same week, Victoria mayor says she's quitting 'toxic, echo chamber' ...... social media like Facebook is distorting not only politics, but the way people think.

"I have felt this evolution online over the past four years," she said. "Facebook has become a toxic, echo chamber where people who have anything positive to say are often in defense mode against negativity and anger."

She said she's leaving the site to stop contributing to the cycle of negativity online, "where opinions become hardened in the absence of facts or dialogue and where division rather than much-needed connection is the norm."

ChessTalk while having some validity early on became just that -- a "toxic echo chamber" of negativity in the Chess scene in Canada. A site to avoid - a place to not click on.

All good things come to an end -- time to write the obituary for Chess Talk (or "Chess Squawk" as you affectionately called it). REST IN PEACE.

Thanks for doing this Larry!

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
        After over 17 years, ChessTalk may be on it's last legs.

I created ChessTalk to allow discussion of the chess scene in Canada. We have had our highs and our lows over the years...I have mixed feelings about closing down the site...my executive board insists that we sell or close down by the end of the month. Somehow I think this is not the right thing to do but I have no choice. For tournament organisers who have supported us in our venture to monetize this site...I say THANK-YOU! If we do close down, you will be refunded in full.

So if you have any idea on how we can save ChessTalk and make it better (yes it is still for sale)...please send me an e-mail : bevand@chess-math.org

Thanks to all those who have contributed over these many years.

Larry Bevand

Comment

Re: RIP CHESS TALK -- an end to the toxicity Re: This site could close down March 31

Originally posted by Mark S. Dutton, I.A. View Post
          In the same week, Victoria mayor says she's quitting 'toxic, echo chamber' ...... social media like Facebook is distorting not only politics, but the way people think.

"I have felt this evolution online over the past four years," she said. "Facebook has become a toxic, echo chamber where people who have anything positive to say are often in defense mode against negativity and anger."

She said she's leaving the site to stop contributing to the cycle of negativity online, "where opinions become hardened in the absence of facts or dialogue and where division rather than much-needed connection is the norm."

ChessTalk while having some validity early on became just that -- a "toxic echo chamber" of negativity in the Chess scene in Canada. A site to avoid - a place to not click on.

All good things come to an end -- time to write the obituary for Chess Talk (or "Chess Squawk" as you affectionately called it). REST IN PEACE.

Thanks for doing this Larry!
          Hi Mark:

I think I'm the one who has regularly referred to this place as "ChessSquawk" but maybe it predates me. If it was Larry's affectionate phrase I'm sure he'll beat me up over it. I'll probably survive.

I agree that it has become, like many sites, a form of rant-radio. The signal to noise ratio is very low at times. But people such as Wayne Komer have managed to ensure that there is at least a signal, and a frequently vibrant one.

At times, to some extent this site is best enjoyed as a spectacle. The circus to go with the scraps of bread.

Steve

Comment

caveat emptor

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
            ... But people such as Wayne Komer have managed to ensure that there is at least a signal, and a frequently vibrant one.
            I like some of Wayne's summaries as well but the truth is that practically every post he makes is a copyright violation. He makes no effort to give credit where credit is due by the simple act of using quotation marks,etc. (easy on this software).

I don't know if it's laziness, indifference, ignorance, whatever (he has never replied to enquiries about it) - but it amounts to plagiarism and it's a serious issue.
            Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Re: caveat emptor

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
              I like some of Wayne's summaries as well but the truth is that practically every post he makes is a copyright violation. He makes no effort to give credit where credit is due by the simple act of using quotation marks,etc. (easy on this software).

I don't know if it's laziness, indifference, ignorance, whatever (he has never replied to enquiries about it) - but it amounts to plagiarism and it's a serious issue.
              Unlike you & your avatar ...eh sport?

Oh sorry, that is your artwork ... isn't it Nige?

Phony.

Comment

beware of SOCA buyer

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                Unlike you & your avatar ...eh sport?

Oh sorry, that is your artwork ... isn't it Nige?

Phony.
                lol. Nice try. Ever heard of "fair use" genius? It also applies to avatars.

Did you want to address my point in a serious way or just continue with personal attacks?

Comment

Re: beware of SOCA buyer

Did you want to address my point in a serious way or just continue with personal attacks?
                  Fair use? Like your tacit approval of the 'fair use' of an autistic child?

You're not worth a serious 'way' Nige ...not anymore.

Comment

Are you buying?

Hi Neil,

Did you get my counter offer? March 31 is around the corner...time to get real :)

Larry

Comment

Re: beware of SOCA buyer

Could you explain how fair use applies to avatars? I am quite interested in legal matters.

Comment

personal attacks

Originally posted by Neil Frarey View Post
                        Fair use? Like your tacit approval of the 'fair use' of an autistic child?

You're not worth a serious 'way' Nige ...not anymore.

No idea what you're talking about. More personal attacks, clearly. Good luck with purchasing ChessTalk. I hope Larry takes you to the cleaners.

Comment

Could measures be taken to have the site's content backed up onto the Wayback Machine, which is a giant online archive?

THANKS SO MUCH TO LARRY FOR ALL HE HAS DONE! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Dixon View Post
                            Could measures be taken to have the site's content backed up onto the Wayback Machine, which is a giant online archive?

THANKS SO MUCH TO LARRY FOR ALL HE HAS DONE! :)
                            This was already kicked around earlier in this thread...
                            ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re: clap clap

Not true. After the reform of ChessTalk - some years ago now - in which posters were required to use their own names, the amount of obscene, racist, misogynist, etc., posts dropped precipitously. This was real progress. This Discussion Board hosted some very nasty "debates" after that, true, but this was more political and almost to be expected.

In particular, I think the way our current CFC President conducted himself, facing libel, personal attacks, etc., etc., in his efforts to defend his decision-making, especially around trying to get money from FIDE for the CFC, picking sides in FIDE elections, etc., won him many friends and admirers.

Well, this one anyway.
                              I won't miss any of the trolls on Chesstalk. They are not nearly as bright as they think they are. It can be fun dealing with a witty, intelligent troll. Unfortunately Chesstalk never had any of them. The Frareys, Bonhams and Daswanis aren't even worthy waterboys to their predecessors on the text based usenet forums. I can guarantee that none of the CT trolls will ever be portrayed by Tom Cruise or a similar A lister as one of my usenet opponents once was in the movie Magnolia. Every time I listen to an Amy Mann song and recall my duels with that individual and his many minions I have to chuckle. There will never be minions for the Frareys or their ilk. They are just not that inspiring. There is nothing heroic about them. Comical definitely but heroic, no.

Thank you to Larry for hosting this site for so long. Also thank you for removing some of the most offensive posts in response to complaints.

Comment

Working...
                              X