This site could close down on March 31 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This site could close down on March 31 2018

After over 17 years, ChessTalk may be on it's last legs.

I created ChessTalk to allow discussion of the chess scene in Canada. We have had our highs and our lows over the years...I have mixed feelings about closing down the site...my executive board insists that we sell or close down by the end of the month. Somehow I think this is not the right thing to do but I have no choice. For tournament organisers who have supported us in our venture to monetize this site...I say THANK-YOU! If we do close down, you will be refunded in full.

So if you have any idea on how we can save ChessTalk and make it better (yes it is still for sale)...please send me an e-mail : bevand@chess-math.org

Thanks to all those who have contributed over these many years.

Larry Bevand

Re: This site could close down on March 31 2018

Larry no need to refund me. I am grateful for all the pain and hard work you put into this site. I will continue to support you either on line or when in Toronto. Somehow, I do not think this site will be the same without you. I have enjoyed this site over the years and I have to admit it is a guilty pleasure. Even when I was not playing chess much prior to 2016, I still logged on here most days.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Bevand View Post
      After over 17 years, ChessTalk may be on it's last legs.

I created ChessTalk to allow discussion of the chess scene in Canada. We have had our highs and our lows over the years...I have mixed feelings about closing down the site...my executive board insists that we sell or close down by the end of the month. Somehow I think this is not the right thing to do but I have no choice. For tournament organisers who have supported us in our venture to monetize this site...I say THANK-YOU! If we do close down, you will be refunded in full.

So if you have any idea on how we can save ChessTalk and make it better (yes it is still for sale)...please send me an e-mail : bevand@chess-math.org

Thanks to all those who have contributed over these many years.

Larry Bevand
      Unfortunately, I am not in a position to purchase...

One suggestion though: consider archiving all of the posts - maybe data CD containing the archive would sell for 5-$10 each? I would buy one at that price point.

It might be possible to find a lot of stuff at the internet wayback machine... not sure.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        One suggestion though: consider archiving all of the posts - maybe data CD containing the archive would sell for 5-$10 each? I would buy one at that price point.
        Er... Kerry, this would be completely illegal. Under terms and conditions of this site, the authors don't cede the copyright to their own posts. ChessTalk has no claim to the contents and cannot benefit financially.

In any potential transfer of ownership of ChessTalk, the archive of messages would be off-limits. This was discussed at length here the very first time the site was put on sale. My understanding it that this became one of the stumbling blocks in figuring out a correct evaluation for the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post
          Er... Kerry, this would be completely illegal. Under terms and conditions of this site, the authors don't cede the copyright to their own posts. ChessTalk has no claim to the contents and cannot benefit financially.

In any potential transfer of ownership of ChessTalk, the archive of messages would be off-limits. This was discussed at length here the very first time the site was put on sale. My understanding it that this became one of the stumbling blocks in figuring out a correct evaluation for the site.
          Hi Vadim,

Thanks for your reply. I remember (vaguely) those posts about the contents of this site. Out of curiosity, can you post a link to the 'terms and conditions' ?

I was somewhat facetious in suggesting that CMA sell a CD with the forum contents but I would hope the contents could be archived. FWIW there is some content on the internet wayback machine - I was just reading an old interview Larry had with Sid Belzberg... Not sure how much of the forum posts are available there, but even THAT would not be "legal" if what you are saying is the case.

One wonders what jurisdictions are involved in this situation - I am not a lawyer but it seems the whole argument about who "owns" the posts could get complex quickly.

Comment

One wonders what jurisdictions are involved in this situation - I am not a lawyer but it seems the whole argument about who "owns" the posts could get complex quickly.
            This became a problem with the old DejaNews, before it became the bastardized Google Groups.

I would post a link to the relevant article on Wikipedia but that feature seems to be disabled. (Just search for dejanews or google groups.)

Steve

Comment

Hi Kerry,

Hi Vadim,

Thanks for your reply. I remember (vaguely) those posts about the contents of this site. Out of curiosity, can you post a link to the 'terms and conditions' ?
              I did a quick search right now - it appears to be a tricky proposition, one cannot view T&C while he is logged in. :)

Here's the best way I found
              - log out of ChessTalk,
              - go to http://forum.chesstalk.com/register.php,
              - scroll down to a very narrow box entitled "Forum Rules".

Hi Vadim,
              [...] I would hope the contents could be archived. FWIW there is some content on the internet wayback machine - I was just reading an old interview Larry had with Sid Belzberg...
              Oh, I agree with you absolutely here. There is a lot of original content on ChessTalk that is produced by Larry and the CMA. These are not forum "posts", they just live in subdirectories on the CT server. It would be great if they could just be moved to the main CMA server, "echecs.org".

Off the top of my head, I would name
              - the Sid Belzberg interview you referred to:
              http://chesstalk.com/belzberg_interview/
              - Pascal Charbonneau's Tour:
              http://chesstalk.com/pascal_charbonneau_tour/

Larry, could you please move all this wonderful original content to the similar URLs on the CMA server? It would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadim Tsypin View Post

The archive of posts would probably also detract from the value, at least in the case of the defamatory posts which are buried landmines waiting to explode from the point of view of a potential owner.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                  The archive of posts would probably also detract from the value, at least in the case of the defamatory posts which are buried landmines waiting to explode from the point of view of a potential owner.
                  Maybe, but I note they haven't exploded here... not sure why they would suddenly explode for a new owner.

Comment

Maybe, but I note they haven't exploded here... not sure why they would suddenly explode for a new owner.
                    Perhaps the people being defamed did not have an interest in suing a non-profit devoted to children's chess like the CMA. A new owner would not necessarily have the same shield.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
                      Perhaps the people being defamed did not have an interest in suing a non-profit devoted to children's chess like the CMA. A new owner would not necessarily have the same shield.
                      Though the copyright is to posters, but the suit is to an owner. Strange thing in a law department.

Comment

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
                        Though the copyright is to posters, but the suit is to an owner. Strange thing in a law department.
                        In such suits everyone is named and the ones with deeper pockets or with insurance are usually the ones who pay. I was peripherally involved in a suit due to usenet posts in 2002 or so when the law was not as developed as it is today. Launching the suit cost about $1000 US. Defending the suit cost about $10,000 US and the lawyers for some of the defendants informed them that they could lose their house if the suit went to trial. A number of trolls disappeared from usenet as a result. The case was prematurely dropped but had the desired effect.

Comment

Why is the site closing?

Comment

Originally posted by Guillermo Mansilla View Post
                            Why is the site closing?
                            I am not Larry nor on the executive board of Chess 'N Math, BUT one has to assume that the cost of maintaining the board exceeds the revenue.
                            The revenue is apparently close to zero; the costs are not...

Comment

Hi Kerry,

Actually the cost in terms of dollars is minimal. What we collected in tournament announcement revenue in less than 3 months more than covers the cost of maintaining the site. However, the time I put into moderating etc. is not calculated.

So it really is not a financial question.

1 - I have been doing this for close to 18 years now because I felt it was fulfilling a need within the Canadian Chess Community. We have had our highs and lows over these many years.

2 - It is my baby...letting it go hurts but at the same time, it is time for me to move on.

3 - The executive board of the CMA has made it very clear that the CMA MUST not be involved with this site anymore.

4 - My hope is that someone will come forward and continue what I think is worthwhile. If not, I have orders to close down the site by the end of March 2018.

5 - I would have liked to get $10,000 for the site (the money belongs to the CMA and not me personally), however at this stage of the game, we are prepared to take the best offer that we receive....so don't be shy :). My Executive Board has not given me a minimun selling price.

Send me an e-mail with your offer or your questions: bevand@chess-math.org

6 - This is really happening folks...no fake news here :)

Larry

Comment

Working...
                              X