X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Credit Card-Sized Chess Set

The Credit Card-Sized Chess Set

April 4, 2018

You might be one of those people who has a flat-pack knife and credit card-sized multi-tools set in your wallet.

What about adding a chess set?

See this article by Andrew Liszewski:

https://gizmodo.com/the-world-s-most...e-y-1824321504

"Designed by Kiriakos Christodoulou-aka Innovo-the Credit Card Chess Set can be ordered and 3D-printed on demand via Shapeways for $11 to $13, depending on what color of plastic you prefer and whether you'd want such an incredibly impractical thing to begin with.

To play, you'll need to snap off all of the individual chess pieces which then connect to the board using even tinier pegs. As a result of the 3D-printing process, all of the pieces on the board are exactly the same color, so to tell each side apart, half of them feature a hole in the middle."

Lots of photos!

________

Comment by DazVeere:

You can just get two sets in different colors and swap one set of pieces so that you don't need to worry about the pieces being the same color.
    Last edited by Wayne Komer; Wednesday, 4th April, 2018, 11:41 PM.

Re: The Credit Card-Sized Chess Set

I can't be the only one thinking this - how hard would it have been to make the pieces different colours?!

Comment

Re: The Credit Card-Sized Chess Set

Originally posted by Zach Dukic View Post
      I can't be the only one thinking this - how hard would it have been to make the pieces different colours?!
      Harder than you think... most 3d printers (at least the reasonably priced ones for home use) have a single supply of plastic or whatever other material you are "printing" and I presume the idea was to print the entire set at one time. Changing colours in the middle doesn't work because the printing occurs layer by layer horizontally. As was pointed out, you could print a fully white set and then a fully black set and exchange half of each with the other set.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
      X