X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drugs concealed in chess pieces

Drugs concealed in chess pieces

April 24, 2018

In the description of Round Four of the Reykjavik Open 2018 there was an interview with the president of the Icelandic Chess Federation about being mistakenly arrested in an illicit drug raid:

http://forum.chesstalk.com/showthrea...ighlight=drugs

The Icelandic Review gives more details of the case:

"An Icelandic man filled chess pieces with amphetamine in an attempt to smuggle the drug into Iceland. The case has many strange details involving the Icelandic Chess Association, a paralysed wife, and suspected tax evasion.

Police believe Sigurour Ragnar Kristinsson is the main player behind an attempt to smuggle 5 kilos of amphetamine into Iceland from Spain. Sigurour was released from custody on Friday but has been sentenced to a four-week travel ban.

The potency of the amphetamine is being analysed in Spain, where it was discovered and seized. Authorities replaced the drug with a harmless substance and sent the package to the intended address in order to find the culprit behind the crime.

On 8. January, Icelandic police arrested Gunnar Bjornsson, the president of the Icelandic Chess Association, as he received the package. "I had barely started to open the package when a special forces man appears with a balaclava and the whole getup, he maybe didn't attack me but pushed me up against the wall and held me there," said Gunnar, describing the incident. Gunnar was released shortly thereafter as it was clear he was not connected to the case in any way.

Sigurour flew to Iceland on 28. January and was arrested upon arrival. He admitted readily to organizing the trafficking of drugs into the country. Sigurour has stated he himself put the substance in the chess pieces, a process he claims took four hours.

To add another layer to the case, Sigurour's wife Sunna Elvira Porkelsdottir was paralysed by a fall at their home in Malaga, Spain just before Sigurour flew to Iceland. He was arrested in Spain on suspicion of causing the injury, but released shortly after. Sunna says she has no memory of how the injury occurred."

http://icelandreview.com/news/2018/0...chess-pieces-1
Working...
X