US Chess Corruption Hits The Main Stream Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Chess Corruption Hits The Main Stream Media

I decided to type "chess" into news.google.com and this New York Times article is first story that came up:

"U.S. Chess Federation Lawsuit Becomes Criminal Issue"
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/us/18indict.html

Its a story that is part of the spillover from the series of disputes and lawsuits between Susan Polgar and other USCF board members.

My question for you guys is this. Is corruption an integral part of chess and is there anything we can do about it?

Re: US Chess Corruption Hits The Main Stream Media

Corruption - I think - is an unfortunate and integral part of life. It is in no way resrticted to chess. Nor for some reason can chess be excluded from people who want to take advantage of other people. This is just par for the course. The best we can do is be transparent with regards to how things are governed, and that will keep this type of stupidity to a minimum.

Comment

It has been pointed in the past that "it is the C students who rule the world". I've also seen it noted that it is the class players who are the best organizers. Chess is a really weird scenario. Being an *intellectual* sport, it caters to an elite who also think they know how to organize *and* who are not simply teenagers with a gift. Thus the politics become ridiculous with prominent, older, *active players*, trying to dictate policy.

Chess is not a team sport. A national sporting federation is not a one man show.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
        My question for you guys is this. Is corruption an integral part of chess and is there anything we can do about it?
        I don't know if this is corruption as much as some very poor decisions. Its good to see that they are now enforcing the laws against hacking into people's accounts. In the past, it has been hard to find police that even understood that it was a crime, even if you brought the relevant statutes to their attention.

The individual charged seems like a decent enough fellow from what I have seen of him online but if you are going to hack into someone's account I guess you should learn something about how to hide your trail.

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

Working...
        X