• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. Chess Federation Elections

This was taken from the USCF website:

Executive Board Election Results are in
    By Mike Nolan, Chair, USCF Election Committee

July 23, 2009

The results of the 2009 Executive Board Election are in. 11.1% of the eligible voters cast ballots. The four candidates who were elected to four year terms on the Executive Board are Jim Berry, Bill Goichberg, Ruth Haring and Mike Atkins. Jim and Bill were incumbents, Ruth and Mike will take office at the conclusion of the 2009 Delegates Meeting, replacing Randy Hough, who chose not to run for another term, and Joel Channing, who had resigned.

Totals in Order of Rank
    Jim Berry: 3030
    Bill Goichberg:3014
    Ruth Haring:2952
    Michael Atkins: 2672
    Michael Korenman: 822
    Mike Nietman:732
    Eric Hecht: 717
    Blas Lugo: 657
    Sam Sloan:588
    Brian Lafferty:576
    Brian Mottershead:435

There were also 123 Write-in ballots. A total of 4379 ballots were received.

The complete report can be found at:

http://main.uschess.org/content/view/9564/539

Re: U.S. Chess Federation Elections

So, anyone out there who's been following the USCF thing... is this good or bad?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
      So, anyone out there who's been following the USCF thing... is this good or bad?
      At first glance it would seem to be good, as Bill Goichberg got back in and there is no mention of Susan Polgar, who has a huge lawsuit going against the USCF!

Comment

Susan would have dropped her lawsuit if the USCF would just apologize. Instead BG wanted to drag it into court. As someone who has been following US chess politics longer than Canadian, I am not impressed.

What surprises me is that 588 people actually voted for Sam Sloan. I have had a few 'debates' on the various newsnet groups with him and he is a complete nutbar. Brian Lafferty must feel pretty low as even Sloan got more votes than he did.

The USCF is well on its way to monetary bankruptcy... it has been morally bankrupt for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
          Very much a bad thing IMHO. Goichberg and his cronies have totally destroyed the US Chess Federation and at the same time he continues to line his pockets via the Continental Chess Assoc (can anyone say 'conflict of interest'?)

The lawsuits alone will ensure the USCF will be crippled for many years (at least the next 4 I suppose while Goichberg is again at the helm). The USCF cannot even afford to run the US Championship...

Makes our issues with the CFC seem tame by comparison...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

You have to remember the three "R"s of running a successful organization.

1. Idiot Management.
            2. Cronyism.
            3. Infighting.

Even governments use those three "R"s. :)
            Gary Ruben
            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
              Very much a bad thing IMHO. Goichberg and his cronies have totally destroyed the US Chess Federation and at the same time he continues to line his pockets via the Continental Chess Assoc (can anyone say 'conflict of interest'?)

The lawsuits alone will ensure the USCF will be crippled for many years (at least the next 4 I suppose while Goichberg is again at the helm).
              I think you have it bass-ackwards. Do some research.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Boron View Post
                I think you have it bass-ackwards. Do some research.
                I don't think so.

I have been following the whole USCF mess for some time. YES, it is true that the USCF has lawsuits for and against them; YES, it is true that Susan Polgar and her husband Paul Truong have sued the USCF. My understanding is that Polgar's suit is a counter-suit to several suits the USCF launched against her and her husband. It is getting hard to figure out what the situation really is since the USCF officially says very little and of course the other side(s) have coverage from their own perspective.

I DO KNOW that Polgar offered to drop her suit if the USCF simply issued an apology and dropped their suit - they declined to do either.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                  I don't think so.

I have been following the whole USCF mess for some time. YES, it is true that the USCF has lawsuits for and against them; YES, it is true that Susan Polgar and her husband Paul Truong have sued the USCF. My understanding is that Polgar's suit is a counter-suit to several suits the USCF launched against her and her husband. It is getting hard to figure out what the situation really is since the USCF officially says very little and of course the other side(s) have coverage from their own perspective.

I DO KNOW that Polgar offered to drop her suit if the USCF simply issued an apology and dropped their suit - they declined to do either.
                  I think so; and/or you have swallowed the Polgar Kool-Aid. You didn't mention why the USCF launched the first suit (re; False emails). And, you failed to mention that Polgar only offered to drop the suit against the USCF, but the lawsuit against others would continue.

Comment

I think so; and/or you have swallowed the Polgar Kool-Aid. You didn't mention why the USCF launched the first suit (re; False emails). And, you failed to mention that Polgar only offered to drop the suit against the USCF, but the lawsuit against others would continue.
                    I believe that the original issue arose out of what they refer to as usenet forgeries or froggeries.

Only the lawyers win when lawsuits multiply.

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

Well, I certainly didn't omit any information that I actually HAD. As for the kool-aid, I suppose it is possible that Susan Polgar and her husband are building a huge, nation-wide conspiracy to usurp the USCF etc. I don't have the time or the inclination to wade through all the posted briefs and filings and other debris... I guess we will see when the dust settles.

I have met Goichberg (long time ago); I have not met Susan but have corresponded with her on a number of occasions and topics. I tend to believe her motives are much clearer and I think her track record will hold up to scrutiny...

To each their own. Sooner or later we might see the truth come out.

Comment

I was quite active on the Usenet chess newsgroups when these "fake Sam Sloan" messages started to flood the newsgroups. Almost everyone who was an active participant in these groups just added the fake Sam Sloan messages to their 'twit filter'. At the time I thought someone was just getting back at Sloan for his CONSTANT spamming of the newsgroups. I sent him several messages asking him to stop posting messages that were not related to the newsgroup. He didn't care and continued to spam the groups. He used these fake messages as an excuse on why he lost the election. It had absolutely NO effect on the voting for the USCF board. Only a very small percentage of USCF members read the Usenet chess newsgroups. Of those who do, the vast majority of them would vote for a post with hair before they would vote for Sloan.

Sloan has also been known for 'editing' peoples posts and re posting them completely out of context... so much so that Taylor Kingston ran a contest on who could do the same to one of Sam Sloans messages... a contest that I won :) unfortunately he couldn't contact me for to give me the signed copy of his chess cafe book, and he gave it to someone else before I could get a hold of him.

Personally I don't care if the Polgars did do the 'fake sam sloan' messages. The things that are said about each other on Usenet are down right nasty and makes chesstalk look down right civilized! :).

Comment

Working...
                        X