Bike shop sells Chess books!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike shop sells Chess books!!!!!

To my amazement a bike store in Toronto-Laird Dr.-has a very large collection of used books and some chess books plus 2 dozen or so British "Chess" magazines dated around late 1990's-early 2000.In fact the owner is bringing to me a gem from the 1820's next week. These magazines he received from Barbados.

Re: Bike shop sells Chess books!!!!!

An 1820 magazine about chess? No kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Baljeu View Post
      An 1820 magazine about chess? No kidding!
      Isn't that amazing? Where those resources of the chess literature come from? I suspect very private ones.
      :)

Comment

Originally posted by John Henry View Post
        a very large collection of used books
        Once I visited that shop looking for a kid's bicycle. It looked like a antiquarian (book) shop :D

What is a price for Chess magazines?

Comment

According to The Oxford Companion to Chess, 2nd ed., the first chess magazine was Le Palamède, edited by Bourdonnais, which began in 1836.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Wright View Post
            the first chess magazine was Le Palamède, edited by Bourdonnais, which began in 1836.
            books.google has Tome Premier : http://books.google.ca/books?id=gCcC...s_brr=3&pg=PP1
            Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Tuesday, 28th July, 2009, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Chess magazines are $1.00 each. It is a book from the 1820's....

Comment

Re: old Chess books!!!!!

I was recently in David Mason's Fine & Rare books, 366 Adelaide Street West, www.davidmason.com
                and they have over a dozen old chess books of various sizes, some from the 1800s but they all were beginner books: how to move the pieces and the names of the openings (including the variations of the King's Gambit).

Comment

Working...
                X