Hébert parle échecs - Latest Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hébert parle échecs - Latest Issue

I just printed out the latest issue: Vol. 2, # 32.

This week contains Jean's last 6 games from Guelph with some notes as well as some comments on the event itself.

If you can read French, take advantage of the free subscription to the weekly e-zine.

http://www.hebertparleechecs.com/

Re: Hébert parle échecs - Latest Issue

Originally posted by Neil Sullivan View Post
    I just printed out the latest issue: Vol. 2, # 32.

This week contains Jean's last 6 games from Guelph with some notes as well as some comments on the event itself.

If you can read French, take advantage of the free subscription to the weekly e-zine.

http://www.hebertparleechecs.com/
    Here in english
    Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Tuesday, 25th August, 2009, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Bilodeau View Post
      Thank you for posting that pdf file.
      ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
        Thank you for posting that pdf file.
        I changed the link, it works again now.

I translated the first pages and the last page. To see it fullscreen click on the icon on the right bottom corner of the document. The icon looks like this in small:

If anybody wants to translate it every week please contact HPE, never know he could accept it.

Carl
        Last edited by Carl Bilodeau; Tuesday, 25th August, 2009, 12:59 PM.

Comment

If anybody wants to translate it every week please contact HPE, never know he could accept it.

Carl
          No! What we need is for someone with the requisite writing and chess skills to try to emulate Jean's effort; but in English! That way we could have 2 zines to look forward to each week.

:)

Comment

No! What we need is for someone with the requisite writing and chess skills to try to emulate Jean's effort; but in English! That way we could have 2 zines to look forward to each week.

:)
            You are right. But until someone show up we should translate the existing one.

Neil since you did a good translation job for the Montreal Open Chess Championship as stated on Twitter, why not try it next week with HPE. I can send you everything required to make the changes or you could simply send the changes in a doc file for M. Hébert if he agree to edit the english version himself. But he is so busy probably the easier is to make the wholes changes yourself.

Lets start for a month. Do we have a deal?

Carl

Comment

You are right. But until someone show up we should translate the existing one.

Neil since you did a good translation job for the Montreal Open Chess Championship as stated on Twitter, why not try it next week with HPE. I can send you everything required to make the changes or you could simply send the changes in a doc file for M. Hébert if he agree to edit the english version himself. But he is so busy probably the easier is to make the wholes changes yourself.

Lets start for a month. Do we have a deal?

Carl
              I have no idea how Jean feels about this, but I have my thoughts ...

While I fully believe that HPE would be of benefit and interest to a larger audience, I don't really agree with translating it into English. It is, to my way of thinking, a very personal effort written for francophone chess lovers with a particular appeal for those in Québec.

While not wishing to speak for Jean Hébert, I am not convinced he wants to do it in English. After all, Jean's command of the language is excellent and he would do it himself if he was so inclined. Perhaps I am mistaken.

Comment

While I fully believe that HPE would be of benefit and interest to a larger audience, I don't really agree with translating it into English. It is, to my way of thinking, a very personal effort written for francophone chess lovers with a particular appeal for those in Québec.

While not wishing to speak for Jean Hébert, I am not convinced he wants to do it in English. After all, Jean's command of the language is excellent and he would do it himself if he was so inclined. Perhaps I am mistaken.
                You are pretty much right on the money Neil. It is mostly oriented towards a Quebec readership, even though it also draws excellent comments from European readers. As it is, HPE already requires too much of my time which excludes putting more time into it unless it becomes somehow a tiny bit more profitable. But once in a while I see no problem having an article or two translated when needed.

Comment

I have no idea how Jean feels about this, but I have my thoughts ...

Over the last two years more and more readers from France, Belgium and from other french countrys showed up and started to send letters in the "Readers Corner" section of HPE. We then could see a change in the redactor writings to accomodate and adapt to these people too. So with the English readers in Canada for sure he will adapt even more.

Me as a reader I would really appreciate since here on FQE web site and the Magazine I have not contact with the rest of Canada at chess. When we are virtually isolated like CCF and FQE, a newsletter in both languages could be a good idea.

Do we have a deal now?
                  Carl

Comment

Me as a reader I would really appreciate since here on FQE web site and the Magazine I have not contact with the rest of Canada at chess. When we are virtually isolated like CCF and FQE, a newsletter in both languages could be a good idea.
                    Carl
                    Last year when the CFC was pondering on restructuring and looking for something to replace the paper magazine and reach its membership, that is more or less what I suggested the CFC should do (a monthly or even twice a month newsletter with both english and french content), and what I offered to do. Instead they chose the cheaper (?) webzine solution which as far as I can tell is a complete disaster.

Comment

Do we have a deal now?
                      Carl
                      I don't think you've had a chance to read Jean's post on the matter. Discussion of a deal is moot when the author isn't in favor of any across the board (little pun intended) translation. Let's remember that this is copyrighted material we're discussing.

Personally, I find bilingual texts a little annoying. It's taking twice as much space to say the same thing. Now, if the English and French texts were different, but complementary, that would be great! It would encourage people to learn the other language in order to benefit fully.

I still think we're better off waiting / dreaming / hoping for an English twin of HPE. There are a limited number of Canadians who could pull it off. Perhaps only Kevin Spraggett comes to mind and he already has his blog.

I'm all in favor of Canadian chess writing and would love to see more of it, as long as it is well done.

Comment

I don't think you've had a chance to read Jean's post on the matter. Discussion of a deal is moot when the author isn't in favor of any across the board (little pun intended) translation. Let's remember that this is copyrighted material we're discussing.

Personally, I find bilingual texts a little annoying. It's taking twice as much space to say the same thing. Now, if the English and French texts were different, but complementary, that would be great! It would encourage people to learn the other language in order to benefit fully.

I still think we're better off waiting / dreaming / hoping for an English twin of HPE. There are a limited number of Canadians who could pull it off. Perhaps only Kevin Spraggett comes to mind and he already has his blog.

I'm all in favor of Canadian chess writing and would love to see more of it, as long as it is well done.
                        Ok I understand.

Anybody else want to translate? With google translator it is fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                          Last year when the CFC was pondering on restructuring and looking for something to replace the paper magazine and reach its membership, that is more or less what I suggested the CFC should do (a monthly or even twice a month newsletter with both english and french content), and what I offered to do. Instead they chose the cheaper (?) webzine solution which as far as I can tell is a complete disaster.
                          I still long for this paper magazine because for me it has its sentimental value. Someday, somehow, I will be growing older and will have grand sons and grand daughters. If I am going to keep these magazines in a shelf, and someday they might find them, at least they will know that someone in the house played serious chess before. Who knows, they might get interested too. I prefer hard copies than soft ones. I have the preference of playing the moves and going through annotations on the actual chess set from books and magazines although slow, but I think it provides better quality of learning. We have our own preferences.

I think that the best return or value for a membership from any organization is either a choice of an online newsletter or a paper magazine aside from ratings. CFC should have given a choice to members whether they wanted to receive information from either one of the two choices.

Hope that the new CFC will consider re-issuing paper magazines again. I will be glad to have them back!
                          Last edited by Ferdinand Supsup; Tuesday, 25th August, 2009, 10:21 PM. Reason: edit

Comment

Now, if the English and French texts were different, but complementary, that would be great! It would encourage people to learn the other language in order to benefit fully.

i have a little bit of French (high school and went to University of Ottawa) and am receiving the HPE and i think it's great! In my everyday life I have no opportunity to use French *at all* so it's great to learn from the chess and working out the language as well.

Comment

Craig, it's a pure accident of birth that my parents ended up in Montreal after the war and not Toronto. Being here gave me the gift of whatever proficiency in French to which I can lay claim; not to mention a francophone bride.

The older I get, the more I appreciate all the advantages of a second language and all the cultural benefits derived therefrom.

Comment

Working...
                              X