Putting out feelers: St. John's, NL for Canadian Open or Closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Putting out feelers: St. John's, NL for Canadian Open or Closed?

Originally posted by Phil Haley View Post
    I was the tournament director for the one Canadian Open that was held in St.John's...it was a great event and some players consider it to be the best of all Canadian Opens...I would be delighted to see the 2010 Open in St.John's and would definitely be a participant. Phil Haley
    Phil!!

Long time no see!

I'm looking at 2011...

What year was it in St. John's?

Jordan
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

What year was it in St. John's?
      1970 - won by Bent Larsen.

Comment

Bent Larsen

As an aside, I would note that in 1995, 25 years later, Bent Larsen came to Canada and tied for first ( with Deen Hergott and Alexandre LeSiege ) in the North Bay International. The tournament attracted 286 players. In the Open section, over half of the 61 players were rated over 2300.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Patterson View Post
          but in that case, it doesn't matter where it is unless it is in your home town. You can't go.
          Actually if it was in Ontario I probably could go because that would only cost me five vacation days. Also if it was in a major city within three or four hours of flying and airport stop over time I would also be able to go. I used to fly to Los Angeles regularly for the weekend and made it to work on time the following Monday (or Tuesday in case of a long weekend). Unfortunately that was a lot cheaper than flying from Windsor to even Toronto. Round trips were usually about $200 and on occasion even cheaper though holidays sometimes saw the price jump into the $300 range.

2010 is probably going to be a bit tight for vacation days because volunteering for the local chess challenge and the CYCC are probably going to eat up a few days and I usually take a day for the Kitchener tournaments that have a Friday night round. Much as I hate to I may have to take a few byes in those first rounds.

Comment

Working...
          X