Amazing Game IM Ray Robson - IM Ben Finegold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Game IM Ray Robson - IM Ben Finegold

Apparently 14 yr old whiz kid IM Ray Robson won an international tournament (just finished) in Chicago (Illinois, USA) and with it achieved his 2nd GM norm.
    He played an amazing game as white against IM Ben Finegold (looking for his final GM norm) 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 Nf6 4.0-0 Bc5 5.Nxe5 Nxe4 6.Nxf7 Kxf7 7.Qh5+ g6 8.Qd5+ Kg7 9.Bxc6 Re8 10.Qxe4 Rxe4 11.Bxe4 d5 12.Bf3 g5 13.Nc3 c6 14.d3 Bf5 15.Bd2 Qf6 16.Rae1 Rf8 17.Kh1 h5 18.Bd1 h4 19.h3 Qg6 20.Be3 Bd6 21.Bxa7 Qf6 22.Be3 Kh7 23.Bd2 Rg8 24.f3 Bb8 25.Be3 Qd6 26.Bg1 Qb4 27.Ne2 Re8 28.b3 Qd2 29.Bd4 Be5 30.Bf2 Bg6 31.Kg1 d4 32.f4 Bf6 33.fxg5 Qxg5 34.Nxd4 Rg8 35.Bg4 Qc5 36.Nf3 Qxc2 37.Bxh4 Bc3 38.Rc1 Qb2 39.Bg5 Bxd3 40.Rf2 Bd4 41.Nxd4 Qxd4 42.Bf6 Qe3 43.Rd1 Be4 44.Rd7+ Kg6 45.Bd4 Qg3 46.Re7 Bd5 47.Rf6+ 1-0
    Does anybody know what is going on in the game? Was White winning out of the opening? Was Black winning at one point? - several points? - where did Black go wrong? In my opinion the kid (Ray Robson) was very resourceful and a helluva player. I got the game and info from Susan Polgars excellent website: www.susanpolgar.com and go to Blog. (Susan's blog)

Re : Amazing Game IM Ray Robson - IM Ben Finegold

Black had the advantage from the beggining until move 32, according to Fritz.

32... Bxf4 was better ... After Bf6, Fritz gives white a little advantage for the first time of the game.

44... Kg6 was a big blunder...

I suspect they were both in time pressure.

[Site "?"]
    [Date "????.??.??"]
    [Round "?"]
    [Result "*"]
    [PlyCount "93"]

{159MB, Fritz11.ctg} 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 {0} Nc6 {0} 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. O-O Bc5 5. Nxe5
    Nxe4 6. Nxf7 Kxf7 7. Qh5+ g6 8. Qd5+ Kg7 9. Bxc6 Re8 10. Qxe4 Rxe4 11. Bxe4 d5
    12. Bf3 g5 13. Nc3 c6 14. d3 Bf5 15. Bd2 Qf6 16. Rae1 Rf8 17. Kh1 h5 18. Bd1 h4
    19. h3 Qg6 20. Be3 Bd6 21. Bxa7 Qf6 22. Be3 Kh7 23. Bd2 Rg8 24. f3 Bb8 25. Be3
    Qd6 26. Bg1 Qb4 27. Ne2 Re8 28. b3 Qd2 29. Bd4 Be5 30. Bf2 Bg6 31. Kg1 d4 32.
    f4 Bf6 33. fxg5 Qxg5 34. Nxd4 Rg8 35. Bg4 Qc5 36. Nf3 Qxc2 37. Bxh4 Bc3 38. Rc1
    Qb2 39. Bg5 Bxd3 40. Rf2 Bd4 41. Nxd4 Qxd4 42. Bf6 Qe3 43. Rd1 Be4 44. Rd7+ Kg6
    45. Bd4 Qg3 46. Re7 Bd5 47. Rf6+ *

Comment

Re: Amazing Game IM Ray Robson - IM Ben Finegold

That was a very exciting and for sure ... interesting game!
      :)

Comment

Re: Re : Amazing Game IM Ray Robson - IM Ben Finegold

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
        Yeah, but what does Fritz know, really? ;)
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

What time per move setting were you using in Fritz (version?), and on how fast a computer?

John Cordes

Comment

Actually I juste put it in Fritz really fast, without asking it to analyse the whole game. But from move 9 to move 20 black is about +1,50, even if white missed one or two possibilities to reduce it to +1,00.

After 20... Fd6 black has an advantage of around 0,75 according to Fritz...

From move 25 to 28, black has an advantage of around 1,25...

At move 32, while black had an advantage of almost 1,50, he played Bf6, and for the first time of the game, white had an advantage, of 0,75.

Then, according to Fritz, it was almost equal until move 43, when black played the mistake :43... Be4

44... Kg6 was the last mistake, even if Kh6 wasn't really promising.

But this is Fritz 11 understanding of the position. A GM might think something else... And we don't know it there was a time pressure.

Comment

Actually I juste put it in Fritz really fast, without asking it to analyse the whole game. But from move 9 to move 20 black is about +1,50, even if white missed one or two possibilities to reduce it to +1,00.

After 20... Fd6 black has an advantage of around 0,75 according to Fritz...

From move 25 to 28, black has an advantage of around 1,25...

At move 32, while black had an advantage of almost 1,50, he played Bf6, and for the first time of the game, white had an advantage, of 0,75.

Then, according to Fritz, it was almost equal until move 43, when black played the mistake :43... Be4

44... Kg6 was the last mistake, even if Kh6 wasn't really promising.

But this is Fritz 11 understanding of the position. A GM might think something else... And we don't know it there was a time pressure.
              Thanks Felix. But we still don't know what sort of depth you had your Fritz 11 running to. Don't you find that a lot of times the position can really turn around (or at least result in a significant change in the evaluation) after Fritz gets deeper into the position?

John

Comment

Well I thought White was winning in the opening but I didnt understand 9.Bxc6 and 10.Qxe4. After that it seemed like Black had a winning attack but the kid hung tough.

Comment

Fritz 11 took around 30 seconds per move. I don't think that his analyse would change with more time, but it might be possible that he didn't see a deadly tactic that takes minutes and minutes for it to see... But I'm pretty sure that there wasn't... It's rare that a +1,50 analyse completely change.

And most of the moves they played were in the Fritz choices, except for a couple of mistakes.

Comment

From Ben Finegold's blog, http://finegoldchess.blogspot.com/, Ben himself writes:

I thought I was winning most of the game, but, probably I was somewhere between slightly and clearly better. We both made mistakes, then, with less than 5 minutes, I did not play well.

His 5. Nxf7!? was only played once in my database, and, he thought a long time, so I think he just made it up. The way we played was best, and then, he must have overlooked 9...Re8! There was a game Ulibin-Vasiukov, where white played 9. Qxe4 and Rybka says it is about equal there.

We both spent a lot of time in the opening and early middlegame, and then we both had less than 5 minutes the last 17 moves or so.

This is the second game I have lost this year. I put up a better fight this game, than my other, against Sargissian.

Oh well.

Ben

Comment

Thanks Brian, just what I needed to see - a comment from Ben Finegold himself - and that explains the opening sequence.

Comment

Since Ben and I email each other on bridge problems, I asked him about this game and this is what he said.

Hi Ian,

Yeah, I did not get a GM norm. I will try again next month in Lubbock, TX.

I was much better after the opening, and he missed 9...Re8, I assume, so I was close to winning Then I played badly in mutual time trouble (g/90 w 30 sec inc). 28...Bxd3! wins and 32...Bf6?? is awful. That's chess.

Ben

Comment

Thanks Ian.

Comment

Working...
                          X