IS CFC website working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IS CFC website working

Today I tried to access the CFC site and I got a big warning come up on the screen. Reported Attack Site.
    What does this mean has the CFC site been hacked again.?

Re: IS CFC website working

I just tried it and it works fine for me...
    No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Hi John & Jordan:

There have been other threads on boards reporting on this warning when accessing the CFC website.

I just tried it and got no such warning.

Is it something that depends on your anti-virus software?

Bob

Comment

No idea. All I can say is that where I work, the security is as high as it gets. Any number of things could be causing the problem that John is experiencing. A call to his ISP would likely be the best place to start...
        No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Is there a link to monroi on the site?
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Chris, Monroi link os on main page (legacy site), right hand side under FIDE link.

Me also, I get no error messages when I go to CFC site.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              Hi John & Jordan:

There have been other threads on boards reporting on this warning when accessing the CFC website.

I just tried it and got no such warning.

Is it something that depends on your anti-virus software?

Bob
              It isn't clear what piece of software is issuing that message (it would help to know at least that much...) but a lot of anti-xxxx software (whether it is looking for viruses or phishing attempts or malware of any kind) depend on 'black lists' - lists of bad sites.

Unfortunately, the procedure for getting on (or off!) such lists is often poorly defined. Some software is so badly implemented it isn't worth running, but people sometimes pay real money for such trash.
              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Well my hard drive melted two days ago, so I'm now running on a completely fresh install with Firefox 3.5 - no addons yet, and chess.ca is blocked for me.
                Christopher Mallon
                FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                  Well my hard drive melted two days ago, so I'm now running on a completely fresh install with Firefox 3.5 - no addons yet, and chess.ca is blocked for me.
                  Have you tried with IE or some other browser? May as well try with IE since it is installed by default (assuming you are talking about Windows). It could be that FF is using some sort of centralized black list - maybe Googling for FF and blocking or phishing filter might reveal something...

I just used FF 3.5.2 to access chess.ca and I had no problems (I have no FF add-ons either). Likewise, I can access chess.ca with IE and Opera without problems.

MAYBE people using their ISPs dns servers (or services like OPENdns) are getting it blocked? Chris: what are you using for dns servers?

Comment

I started the questions Wednesday on the CFC message board, when I got the message from Google (using Firefox V3.5.2) Ever since then, even a google search for the CFC page lists the chess.ca site as "This site may harm your computer". The monroi site no longer shows this message

Safe Browsing Diagnostic page for chess.ca Advisory provided by Google

What is the current listing status for chess.ca?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 583 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 25 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2009-08-26, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2009-08-26.

Malicious software includes 15 scripting exploit(s), 7 trojan(s), 7 exploit(s). Successful infection resulted in an average of 46 new process(es) on the target machine.

Malicious software is hosted on 4 domain(s), including htsrh.info/, a0v.org/, dofulfill.info/.

1 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including a0v.org/.

This site was hosted on 1 network(s) including AS14166 (SOFTCOMCA).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?

Over the past 90 days, chess.ca did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?

No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?

In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.

Next steps:

* Return to the previous page.
                    * If you are the owner of this web site, you can request a review of your site using Google Webmaster Tools. More information about the review process is available in Google's Webmaster Help Center.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Gashgarian View Post
                      I started the questions Wednesday on the CFC message board, when I got the message from Google (using Firefox V3.5.2) Ever since then, even a google search for the CFC page lists the chess.ca site as "This site may harm your computer". The monroi site no longer shows this message

Safe Browsing Diagnostic page for chess.ca Advisory provided by Google

What is the current listing status for chess.ca?

Site is listed as suspicious - visiting this web site may harm your computer.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 1 time(s) over the past 90 days.
                      To save me some time, can you point out how to reach that info from Google? Does it come up as a side effect of using the Google toolbar or something or is there a page where one can query an arbitrary site? thx

updated: I see that info if I google for chess.ca I presume some folks have Google toolbar or some other google-connector installed that automatically checks the GoogleBrain for info... perhaps there is some (mild) rubbish on the chess.ca site, but now that Google has it with a POX on it, it will annoy people all the more... Wonder if Spraggett reported chess.ca to Google?? lol
                      Last edited by Kerry Liles; Friday, 28th August, 2009, 11:06 AM. Reason: found the info...

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Gashgarian View Post
                        (I'll try this again since my first post seems to have gone into the ether....)

Rob, do you have a Google toolbar or something similar installed along with Firefox?

Steve

Comment

I first encountered this message using my CFC bookmark. It appears to be a Firefox page.
                          It states the following "Reported Attack Site!
                          This web site at chess.ca has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.
                          Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.
                          Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

The google search gives the following under the link to chess.ca
                          Chess Federation of Canada/La Fédération canadienne des échecs
                          This site may harm your computer.

The bolded/underlined part is an url to [http://www.google.ca/support/websear...num=1&ct=help]

My Firefox security preferences have "warn me when sites try to install add-ons", "block reported attack sites" and "block reported web forgeries" chosen.

Hope this helps,
                          Rob

Comment

Sorry Steve, but I don't have any additional toolbars and only the Java Quickstarte add-on

Comment

I just noticed Gerry Litchfield posted the following on the CFC message board.

We are aware of this issue regarding possible malicous spyware from the chess.ca website and are looking into the matter with our technical web team. chess.ca may be shutdown for the weekend and we will advise of our findings in the near future.

In the meantime if you require ratings data downloads sent to you, please phone the CFC office 519-508-2362. Messages will be checked periodically throught the weekend.

Gerry

Comment

Working...
                              X