Fischer-Spassky (1972) predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fischer-Spassky (1972) predictions

This brings back memories - I remember I spent that $50 well - Batsford hard-covered books were the chess books in vogue at the time.

From http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/index.html :

Jonathan Berry (Nanaimo, BC, Canada) quotes from page 21 of the September 1972 issue of Chess Canada:

‘Chess Canada’s Spassky-Fischer Contest Winners

Thirteen correct predictions were received by Chess Canada and each of these will receive a credit for $50 worth of books. The people correctly predicting a score of 12½-8½ were H. Winston, M. Mares, R. Eberlein, I. Zalys, C. Dwyer, P. Arens, R. Joho, J. Musumeci, J. Sember, H. Brodie, W. Browne, J. Burstow and the UBC Chess Club.

The final score of 12½-8½ was predicted 13 times, as was 12½-9½. The next most common prediction was 12½-10½ with 7. Fifty-seven entrants expected a Fischer win while ten predicted Spassky and only three expected a tie.’

Re: Fischer-Spassky (1972) predictions

I was present when the UBC Chess Club made its prediction. Some of us
    were in Elod Macskasy's office at the Math Department. Macskasy said:
    "Fischer will win 12 and a half (slight pause) to 8." After a longer pause,
    future GM Biyiasas said "But Doc, he can't win 12 and a half to 8".
    Macskasy said "Oh, oh, oh, 12 and a half to 8 and a half", and laughter
    rang out down the hallway, including that of future GM Suttles and Macskasy
    himself.

Comment

Hugh,
      You claim Chess Canada offered 13 prizes @ $50 each in chess books in 1972! I seem to have no recollection nor could I have afforded such largesse - it was a scramble every month just to pay the printing costs.
      Puzzled,
      Vlad D:o
      Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Saturday, 29th August, 2009, 01:32 AM.

Comment

Before the match started I made a $20 even-money bet with Gerry Lassen that Fischer would win by at least 4 points. Things were looking bleak after Game 2, but everything turned sunny when Spassky resigned Game 21!

A few years later (in 1976) I lost the $20 to Glenn Morin by betting that the Viking landers would find life on Mars.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
          Hugh,
          You claim Chess Canada offered 13 prizes @ $50 each in chess books in 1972! I seem to have no recolection nor could I have afforded such largesse - it was a scramble every month just to pay the printing costs.
          Puzzled,
          Vlad D:o
          I could email you the scan of the offending page in Chess Canada

Comment

I submitted a prediction of 12 1/2 to 7 1/2 for Fischer. I've never forgiven Fischer for forfeiting the second game!
            Paul Leblanc
            Treasurer Chess Foundation of Canada

Comment

Since I was only one year old in 1972, I will now make my prediction:

Fischer 12½ - Spassky 8½

Where do I claim my prize? :D
              No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

Hugh,
                You claim Chess Canada offered 13 prizes @ $50 each in chess books in 1972! I seem to have no recolection nor could I have afforded such largesse - it was a scramble every month just to pay the printing costs.
                Puzzled,
                Vlad D
                I have a letter in front of me - although undated, it is on "Chess Canada" stationary ("Editor: Walter Dobrich", "Telephone: 461-5915", "13 Fulton Avenue, Toronto 355, Ontario"). It reads:

"Dear Mr. Brodie,

Congratulations on your correct prediction of the final score in the Fischer-Spassky match. As a winner of our contest to name that reault you are free to purchase $50.00 worth of books or equipment. We have credited your account with us in that amount. Hoping to hear from you soon.

Yours truly,
                [signature of Grant Treller]
                G. Treller

Comment

Wow... Hugh I think you might actually be more of a packrat than I am! lol
                  Christopher Mallon
                  FIDE Arbiter

Comment

OMG $650 in books! No wonder we went bankrupt. The business manager must have been an idiot! Its a wonder we lasted six years!

Comment

Working...
                    X