Would you like to play an International Master?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you like to play an International Master?

This Friday September 11, The Hamilton City Chess Club is proud to announce a simul with IM Artiom Samsonkin.

The only cost for this event is our normal room rent rate of $3.

For those who would like to play in this simul please email me at chesshamilton@gmail.com

We ask that visitors please bring their tournament boards and pieces just in case we run out.

The event will be at 7:30 pm but please come 15-30 minutes early to confirm your seat.

Our club is located in the Education Building on 100 Main Street West. Please use the parking and entrance on Bay and King.

To see a poster of this event please visit:
    http://chess.servegame.com/hamilton/...mSimul2009.htm

Re : Would you like to play an International Master?

Wow, this is really cheap comparatively to the simul with Igor Nataf tuesday in Montreal... Even if he is a GM, this simul costs 20$.

I hope you'll have a lot of participants.

Comment

Re: Would you like to play an International Master?

That's right. $3.00 is a very reasonable price, isn't it?
      :)

Comment

Way too reasonable, perhaps.

Comment

Just to clarify, the Hamilton Chess Club is sponsoring the simul.

The $3 fee is the regular weekly club dues paid by visitors and those regular club members who choose not to pay the annual dues option.

Comment

Originally posted by Benoit St-Pierre View Post
            Way too reasonable, perhaps.
            Does this mean you are coming?

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
              That's right. $3.00 is a very reasonable price, isn't it?
              :)
              To me, too high or too low are both unreasonable. Too high, people don't come, too low people may come (some people will think that since it is cheap it is not worth much and will not come anyway!) but when you will try to charge them a fair price for what they get, they will back down. To be cheap is fine for Dollarama, but not for all types of goods and services.

Comment

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                This Friday September 11, The Hamilton City Chess Club is proud to announce a simul with IM Artiom Samsonkin.

The only cost for this event is our normal room rent rate of $3.

For those who would like to play in this simul please email me at chesshamilton@gmail.com

We ask that visitors please bring their tournament boards and pieces just in case we run out.

The event will be at 7:30 pm but please come 15-30 minutes early to confirm your seat.

Our club is located in the Education Building on 100 Main Street West. Please use the parking and entrance on Bay and King.

To see a poster of this event please visit:
                http://chess.servegame.com/hamilton/...mSimul2009.htm
                With such prices you are killing a bit the market. We have a WGM coming in Montreal and I heard that people from Quebec City are working to setup the same kind of event and help pay her trip from Montreal to Quebec.

I suggest the creation of a Canadian Chess Masters Union to make sure there is known rules to be followed otherwise CCF and Canadian Chess will go bankrupcy.

Carl

Comment

So what's the right price ?

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                  To me, too high or too low are both unreasonable. Too high, people don't come, too low people may come (some people will think that since it is cheap it is not worth much and will not come anyway!) but when you will try to charge them a fair price for what they get, they will back down. To be cheap is fine for Dollarama, but not for all types of goods and services.
                  What is the optimal price for such an event ?
                  Yes, $3 is cheap and may lower the perceived value of the event. However, I will state the case again, this event is FREE. The Hamilton Club is sponsoring this event and paying Artiom a negotiated fee (not based on $3 /board). Garvin was simply warning our guests of the regular $3 club dues.

So what would most chess players be willing to pay? The Mississauga club hosted an event a few years ago with Kevin Spraggett. He did a lecture and then a simul. We sold 26 seats at $20 each. We may do it again.

So the Hamilton club decided to sponsor this event to promote chess and hopefully attract new members. We really didn't expect any complaints about the price (= FREE). No wonder we have trouble getting sponsors!

Opinions? Suggestions?
                  Last edited by Bob Gillanders; Tuesday, 8th September, 2009, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                    To me, the price isn't as important as the person you are playing. If chess fans think IM Artiom Samsonkin will give them a tough game I think they would pay a variety of prices to play him.

Also, consider we are promoting chess in the Hamilton area and you need spectacles like this to get some attention. Since we had the money to pay Artiom regardless of entries it seemed worth doing something like this if it helps grow our club and local chess in the long run. (As long as chess keeps growing we will make money overall.)

We can't do stuff like this every day of course. But hopefully, we can pick and choose a few events each year that will give the local chess scene a shot in the arm..

Comment

While keeping on the subject of costs for simuls:

Jean Hébert will be giving a simul in Montreal on Sat. Sept. 19, 1 pm.
                      Address: 9930 Parthenais (Ahuntsic Chess Club)
                      Cost: $10 (free for Club members).

Comment

I told you : it's too reasonable !

Originally posted by Garvin Nunes View Post
                        Does this mean you are coming?
                        No, but some photos posted here would be nice !

Comment

Just what this country needs another union. Let's pay all the masters the same fee for simuls, appearances, etc. , in fact let's just give everyone the same prize no matter how they do in a tournament. What about sick days? Will chess masters get to accumulate them and cash them in when they retire?

BUT, we are not talking about how much the master gets for the simul, but what is charged. If the Hamilton Chess Club can afford to pay Artiom a fee he is happy with, what does it matter what is charged? If the HCC members don't like where their dues are going should they form a union also?

Comment

Re: So what's the right price ?

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

So the Hamilton club decided to sponsor this event to promote chess and hopefully attract new members. We really didn't expect any complaints about the price (= FREE). No wonder we have trouble getting sponsors!

Opinions? Suggestions?
                            Can't you by yourself give a fair value to a simul given by an IM who is one of the top 10 players in Canada ? For example, to you is it worth at least a night at the movie (ticket price about 10$) ? Compare the opportunities to go see a movie (every day of the year at different theaters) and those to play an IM (maybe once a year or less). Isn't it worth somewhat more than 3$, which is about the price of the ice cream bar at the theatre ?

You ask for opinions and suggestions, but then as soon as you have finished reading them, you call them complaints and sponsor turn offs.

"We" don't really have trouble getting sponsors, "we" are simply not looking for them and marketing our product accordingly. 3$ simuls and "prize funds based on" tournaments do not need sponsors. Sponsors have no place into schemes like that.

Comment

Jean you remind me of my old economics professor when he told us how Rolls Royce sold more cars by raising its price ;)

Applying this car metaphor to chess I guess the idea is we should project the image of a top ten player like a BMW or Porsche not an economy car...

Comment

Working...
                              X