Just blundering through....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just blundering through....

I thought Google was just a search engine (with lots of other goodies). Since when has it become the ultimate arbiter on whether you can access a site?
    This doesn't seem right.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Sadler View Post
      as a fancy IT person, you don't need to be a fancy IT person to make up a website...if you just want to put *something* up...word should be sufficient
      Please no! Word writes the worst and crappiest code on the whole entire planet. Even worse than Dreamweaver.

The best way to write a web page is with a simple text editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
        Given this thread, what do members want from their Federation?
        I want to be able to access ratings information and tournament listings. I want TDs to be able submit tournament reports. Until this recent debacle I would have said that I am easy to please.

This whole thing should have been a non-issue but it has shut the CFC down.

Vlad Dobrich's post has got me thinking. We really do need a Chess and Math Association model for adult players. No membership fees or very low membership fees on the order of five or ten dollars a year and that only if really necessary. Minimal or no rating fees. A non profit corporation with or without charitable status whose aim truly was promotion of chess and which was not encumbered by the obsolete structure of governance that the CFC labours under. At the very least it would make the CFC more responsive.

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
          Please no! Word writes the worst and crappiest code on the whole entire planet. Even worse than Dreamweaver.

The best way to write a web page is with a simple text editor.
          We must be in the end of days. I find myself agreeing with something Ed wrote.

Vladimir Drkulec

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Drkulec View Post
            I want to be able to access ratings information and tournament listings. I want TDs to be able submit tournament reports. Until this recent debacle I would have said that I am easy to please.

This whole thing should have been a non-issue but it has shut the CFC down.

Vlad Dobrich's post has got me thinking. We really do need a Chess and Math Association model for adult players. No membership fees or very low membership fees on the order of five or ten dollars a year and that only if really necessary. Minimal or no rating fees. A non profit corporation with or without charitable status whose aim truly was promotion of chess and which was not encumbered by the obsolete structure of governance that the CFC labours under. At the very least it would make the CFC more responsive.

Vladimir Drkulec
            Thanks for the positive feedback, however, either you missed my point or I was not clear enough. The last thing I suggest the CFC do is copy ChessTalk.
            I was suggesting incorporating it! That is negotiate that it become the CFC communication organ.
            The CFC should work with creative chess organizers and not try to compete them out of existence!

Comment

I prefer PSPad.. it's free and it makes things colour-coded for you :)
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                Thanks for the positive feedback, however, either you missed my point or I was not clear enough. The last thing I suggest the CFC do is copy ChessTalk.
                I was suggesting incorporating it! That is negotiate that it become the CFC communication organ.
                The CFC should work with creative chess organizers and not try to compete them out of existence!
                Hi Vlad,

I remember fondly when I was first getting into chess as a teenager the simultaneous exhibitions that you put on at Devonshire Mall in Windsor. Thanks for your efforts over the years as an ambassador of chess.

I was not thinking about the CFC. I was thinking about an organization to capture the hundreds of thousands of Canadians who play chess online and have no other association with organized chess. I was also thinking of a next step for the kids who graduate from the Chess and Math program. I was thinking of the kids that play in the local events here in Windsor. I was thinking of an organization with one hundred thousand members which could attract sponsorship that the thousand (adult) members of the CFC can only dream about.

We manage to get huge numbers at our Windsor area youth events, particularly the ones that are done in association with the schools (Windsor Chess Challenge put on by John Coleman and his crew of volunteers). They had to add a third day to the festivities this last year because there was so much interest that they filled the halls for the first two days.

I talk to parents and grandparents all the time and they recognize the value of chess to their children and grandchildren. One grandparent of a child of a few months of age is asking me about when he can start playing and learning the moves!

There is so much potential that is being squandered year after year. If the CFC were able to attract the same percentage of players to population as the underachieving and self-destructive USCF, we would have eight to nine thousand CFC members.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                  Given this thread, what do members want from their Federation?
                  How about a pulse to start. A federation with only a cash register doesn't seem to be cutting it.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Bouma View Post
                    I thought Google was just a search engine (with lots of other goodies). Since when has it become the ultimate arbiter on whether you can access a site?
                    This doesn't seem right.
                    Google's doing nothing wrong here AFAICS. They have a central blacklist which their own browser (Chrome?) uses and they expose that blacklist for use by other browsers. Apparently the latest version of Firefox uses that blacklist.

In any event, you can happily trip past the warning in Firefox or disable it completely. Other browsers aren't even aware of the blacklist (some of them aren't even aware of HTML standards, but I digress).

Damned if I know why the CFC is keeping the site offline if it's clean.

As I said above, the CFC went to being a shadow of its former self. Now apparently it's just a rumour.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Douglas View Post
                      Google's doing nothing wrong here AFAICS. They have a central blacklist which their own browser (Chrome?) uses and they expose that blacklist for use by other browsers. Apparently the latest version of Firefox uses that blacklist.

In any event, you can happily trip past the warning in Firefox or disable it completely. Other browsers aren't even aware of the blacklist (some of them aren't even aware of HTML standards, but I digress).

Damned if I know why the CFC is keeping the site offline if it's clean.

As I said above, the CFC went to being a shadow of its former self. Now apparently it's just a rumour.

Steve
                      I'm with Steve. If the site is clean, it's worth the $15 yearly fee to put it up as a mirror site (under, oh, cfcchess dot ca if such does not already exist) while waiting for google's spiders to come by. My experience with google (I don't pay them) is that spiders can take weeks to revisit, even if you give them a hint with the page URL. Are weeks offline worth more than $15? Hint: the answer is yes.

I'm not an internet maven, but is there any content at the CFC site that needs scripts? The most complex thing I remember is crosstable database queries, and those could be done with HTML standard FORM elements ... no? Sure, you have database stuff going on, but I don't see how that needs to have exposure to the evil world. I don't want to blame the present webmasters because they didn't mark up the site. Still, it's ironic if the CFC site could have been fireproof from day one--after it has had extended, multiple, and embarrassing downtime.

Comment

Working...
                      X