Those !@#$% cellphones!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those !@#$% cellphones!

GM Bator Sambuev lost his 4th round game of the Montreal Open to IM Jean Hébert on move 9, when his cellphone rang.

Re: Those !@#$% cellphones!

I'm still amazed that virtually every tournament I go to someone gets a cellphone forfeit...
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

I was there and saw it. Poor guy, he really looked distraught and obviously forgot that it was on. Simple solution: No cell phones allowed in the tournament hall whatsoever!!! Duh! Like they do when they have final exams at the college where I work. All the students have to bring them up to the front of the examination room and they are put in a box. When they finish writing their test, they pick them up on the way out. No one steals, as far as I can determine, and I'm sure chess players would be just as honest. Maybe even sign them in and out. Would solve the madness I've been seeing. Every tournament someone loses a game this way! Lunacy....

Great tournament however! Well run and they gave away free beer and wine at the end of it. Haven't seen that before! Thanks to the organizers for their efforts...

Ps- My cheap watch's alarm went off in the Que. Open this summer. Since I am a little hard of hearing it took me about 15 seconds to figure it out it was my watch, much to everyone's dismay around me! Just as disturbing as a cell, yet I got off the hook since there is no rule about watch alarms. BTW-never buy a watch with 7 different alarms!
      :)

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
        I'm still amazed that virtually every tournament I go to someone gets a cellphone forfeit...
        I was quite happy that I didn't have to forfeit anyone for cellphone violation in this year's Canadian Open! Just had to throw out a few spectators and some hotel staff:) As to everyone turning in their cellphones, personally, I would not want to be responsible for everyone's cellphones.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike O'Connor View Post
          Ps- My cheap watch's alarm went off in the Que. Open this summer. Since I am a little hard of hearing it took me about 15 seconds to figure it out it was my watch, much to everyone's dismay around me! Just as disturbing as a cell, yet I got off the hook since there is no rule about watch alarms. BTW-never buy a watch with 7 different alarms!
          Yes, I remember that incident... I was passing your board to go out to buy a drink when the TD came around to your board. Lucky you Mike! lol

Jordan
          No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

The answer to the cell phone dilemna is......

The answer to the cell phone dilemna is a $$ penalty!

You simply stipulate at the beginning of the tournament that any cell phone ringing will carry a $10 penalty. No and's, if's, or but's. Not paying the penalty gets you immediately ejected. All proceeds go into a special prize fund to be raffled off at the end of the tournament.

A huge sign and many reminders of the cell phone penalty prize fund would be a good idea. Instead of everyone excusing the offender, they will feret them out! A financial penalty is the only way to eliminate the problem and have some fun doing it.

Comment

Re: The answer to the cell phone dilemna is......

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
              The answer to the cell phone dilemna is a $$ penalty!

You simply stipulate at the beginning of the tournament that any cell phone ringing will carry a $10 penalty. No and's, if's, or but's. Not paying the penalty gets you immediately ejected. All proceeds go into a special prize fund to be raffled off at the end of the tournament.

A huge sign and many reminders of the cell phone penalty prize fund would be a good idea. Instead of everyone excusing the offender, they will feret them out! A financial penalty is the only way to eliminate the problem and have some fun doing it.
              Why is there a Zero tolerance rule for cellphones but no Zero tolerance for arriving late for a game? It seems so inconsistent.
              Gary Ruben
              CC - IA and SIM

Comment

A Bargain !

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
                You simply stipulate at the beginning of the tournament that any cell phone ringing will carry a $10 penalty. No and's, if's, or but's.
                To annoy an opponent, what a bargain! Could we let it ring indefinitely? One can already envision a future match between Topalov and Kramnik...

Comment

I think the fine for such a call is supposed to be at least $100.00. What is $10.00 worthy nowadays? Don't you think so?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Ruben View Post
                    Why is there a Zero tolerance rule for cellphones but no Zero tolerance for arriving late for a game? It seems so inconsistent.
                    I bet that you take days or at least hours to figure out each and every one of your correspondance chess moves, but only a few minutes to produce each one of your posts on Chesstalk. This also leads to gross inconsistencies...:)

Comment

Ring Me Money!

Originally posted by Caesar Posylek View Post
                      I think the fine for such a call is supposed to be at least $100.00. What is $10.00 worthy nowadays? Don't you think so?
                      Yet another incentive for chessplayers to find themselves sponsors!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Hébert View Post
                        I bet that you take days or at least hours to figure out each and every one of your correspondance chess moves, but only a few minutes to produce each one of your posts on Chesstalk. This also leads to gross inconsistencies...:)
                        A bet you win. :) Actually, once I have the plan and the variations figured out, it often goes quickly. My comment on the cellphones and time rule were in jest.

The ICCF refused the Canadian Olympic team entry this year. The team captain got back from Europe 2 days before the deadline for entries and emailed telling them we would play, but asking for an extra week to submit the players for the boards. Four days after the deadline the Olympiad organizer informed him there would be no delay and the team lineup which was sent was not accepted.
                        Gary Ruben
                        CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: A Bargain !

Originally posted by Benoit St-Pierre View Post
                          To annoy an opponent, what a bargain! Could we let it ring indefinitely? One can already envision a future match between Topalov and Kramnik...
                          Make the penalty $10 PER RING. Best to hang it up as soon as it rings.

This could be a moneymaker for the CFC!
                          Only the rushing is heard...
                          Onward flies the bird.

Comment

A Long Ring Then

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                            Make the penalty $10 PER RING. Best to hang it up as soon as it rings.
                            What if the chessplayer's ringtone happens to be an extended remix of Genesis' **Supper's Ready** ?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the main intent of the cell phone rule is to prevent cheating first, and annoyance second.
                              Christopher Mallon
                              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                              X