New CFC membership fees:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CFC membership fees:

From the CFC website (of all places to find news!)

The following new rates were approved at todays AGM in Montreal,

New annual membership dues:

Adult members – reduced from $ 36 down to $ 30
    Junior members – reduced from $ 24 down to $ 20
    Junior participating – eliminated
    Family membership – eliminated
    Tournament fee – adult $ 10, junior $ 5, cost to player unchanged, but provincial portion eliminated.

New rating fee schedule:

Rating fees - $ 5 per player per tournament
    Junior rating fee – eliminated.

Re: New CFC membership fees:

Let me get this right, from TD viewpoint, I still have to collect membership fees, and the cost of being a CFC event now takes 70% more than before out of the prize fund?!?!?! :(

Honestly, does anyone else see the risk of pushing events to no longer be CFC rated?

Comment

... I don't understand why rules get broken at every single AGM?

It's EXTREMELY clear that no new motions can be voted on without proper advance notice. Nobody could possibly have had proxy instructions for this since we didn't know there would be a vote.

And overall memberships don't change much because the reduction for adults is covered by the INCREASE of Juniors and Family memberships!

And what's this ******** about eliminating provincial portions of fees, without speaking to the provinces about it first?!

Finally, am I reading this correct that even junior events are now $5 per player!? If so, the CFC has just taken a gun and shot themselves. All that remains to be seen is where the bullet hit and how bad the damage is.
      Christopher Mallon
      FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Interesting questions. I thought that "junior rating fee eliminated" meant that the 50¢ fee changed to zero, but I see it COULD mean it has been raised to $5. If so, goodbye, junior events.

Comment

and as USUAL, there is little factual information...
          ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

My prediction is that CFC-rated Active events will shortly become an endangered species. Active tournaments will continue but will stop being submitted to CFC. Instead, I can see more regional club & league Active rating lists start up (a la NW Ontario).

$5 per head for adults in regular time control tourneys is probably doable though not without grumbling.

As for junior events...good night!

Comment

I definitely agree... people were debating the $5 rating fee assuming that membership fees would vanish!

Of course this is all hearsay so far but all the information to date has been reliable. Hopefully we can find out for sure soon!
              Christopher Mallon
              FIDE Arbiter

Comment

So can you play in a tournament without a CFC membership? And if the answer is yes how much are the fees???

Comment

The Motion 2007-01 has some words about an electronic submission. The new one (ok, it is only the news) has no words.

Is an idea about an electronic submission (with savings) buried completely?

Comment

You can pay the tournament membership fee... $10 adult $5 junior apparently.
                    Although I don't think the CFC has the right to unilaterally change or remove a provincial fee.
                    Christopher Mallon
                    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

From this post I take it that the tournament membership still exists. Atleast they decided to keep it! (yeah for common sense!)

Personally, with a reduced membership fee for most players, this will be a good thing, but Im still not sure how it will play out in jr events.

I don't see the additional $2 rating fee as being that bad, certainly offsets the reduction of the adult membership fee but getting rid of the family membership wasn't all that bright.

Where does this leave the 'grassroots' initiative?

Comment

Well, it's a $4.50 extra rating fee for juniors, AND an increase of $10 to their membership fee per year. THAT is bad.
                        Christopher Mallon
                        FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                          Well, it's a $4.50 extra rating fee for juniors, AND an increase of $10 to their membership fee per year. THAT is bad.
                          Judging from the amount they pay for entry to the CYCC it shouldn't be a problem. What with high entry fees, high coaching fees and the esteem of a high rating, the extra money shouldn't even slow things down.
                          Gary Ruben
                          CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I suspect that if one were to calculate total revenue using the old rates (using the last 360 days of transactions) compared to these just-published rates that the projected revenue would be about the same.

This is probably how the executive can justify the legitimacy or legality of the change -- that there might not be one from an accounting point of view.

However, this is making the huge assumption that the next 360 days will be about the same -- which IMO it will not be if Active and Junior events dry up.

Using old data on new criteria misses the point that the buying decisions of those TD's and players would have been different (and they will certainly be different going forward).

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
                              Assuming that the magazine is gone (~$15 value), the adult membership increased by $10 and the rating by $2. Too bad

Comment

Working...
                              X