Curious game from the Open...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious game from the Open...

I just entered the following game. What's going on here?

[Event "CAN/Quebec op"]
    [Site "Montreal CAN"]
    [Date "2008.07.24"]
    [Round "6"]
    [White "Plotkin, Victor"]
    [Black "MacKinnon, Keith"]
    [Result "0-1"]
    [ECO "B01"]
    [WhiteElo "2202"]
    [BlackElo "2029"]
    [PlyCount "14"]

1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Qxd5 3. Nc3 Qd6 4. d4 Nf6 5. Bc4 a6 6. Nge2 b5 7. Bf4 Qd7 0-1

Re: Curious game from the Open...

Looks equal to me... perhaps there was an extra white move they forgot to write down that hung the bishop or something like that?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

My blindfold analysis is that if White's N were on f3, then Bc4xf7+ would be crushing in the final position. However, in that case Black would have played 7.Qd6xf4. So the bishop retreats--and it's a game.

My guess is that the game score got truncated. One often sees decisive short (so no flag issues) games where the side that lost was equal or better in the final position. If you have a computer-based check for databasing, that would be one element. Also crazy finishes where kings move to e4, e5, d4, d5--DGT boards.

Comment

I heard from an anonymous source:

A cellphone rang.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I found myself imagining the position and what moves could have been missed, etc., and I just COULDN'T GET IT OUT MY HEAD, hahaha ... thanks lots!

Comment

The cellphone ringing sounds like a logical answer. Both players' scoresheets show 7 moves, but one scoreheet has no result marked on it. I'll check with the TD's tonight.

Comment

Re : Curious game from the Open...

It's true that a cellphone rang at the beginning...

Comment

You can go into a store and buy a shiny box that contains a program stronger than any human who ever lived. You just open the box and load it into your computer.

How did such a shrink-wrap monster ever lose a game?

Its cellophane rang.

Ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee.

Comment

It's true, Victor's cell-phone rang... it made a big racquet and I don't think he remembered how to close it since it went on for like 30 seconds. Next thing I know, the TD walks over and tells him something and when I take a washroom break and come back, I notice it was done.
                  I asked Keith what happened and apparently he won by forfeit.. and fide points too... lucky bum :P
                  Shameless self-promotion on display here
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Bindi Cheng View Post
                    It's true, Victor's cell-phone rang... it made a big racquet and I don't think he remembered how to close it since it went on for like 30 seconds. Next thing I know, the TD walks over and tells him something and when I take a washroom break and come back, I notice it was done.
                    I asked Keith what happened and apparently he won by forfeit.. and fide points too... lucky bum :P
                    Don't worry! This kind of luck has a tendency of balancing itself out in the long run.

Also you worry too much about rating points! As you mature into the player you wish and deserve to be, your focus will shift in the right direction ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
                      Don't worry! This kind of luck has a tendency of balancing itself out in the long run.

Also you worry too much about rating points! As you mature into the player you wish and deserve to be, your focus will shift in the right direction ;)
                      Agreed. Tournament organisers typically send out invitations to prestigious events based on intangibles.

On a more important - because it involves me - note, it's awesome that Keith is gaining so much rating at the Canadian Open. I'm going to play Keith in Edmonton, so for every 25 points he gains, I'll gain one in my game against him. Basically, I'm on some commission tip. It's like I import the smack, then my opponents sell it for me in the street. But one of the addict's kids grows up to be a dealer himself, then he murks my muscle when the beef starts. Anybody else watch "The Wire"?
                      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Re : Re: Curious game from the Open...

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post

How did such a shrink-wrap monster ever lose a game?

Its cellophane rang.

Ha ha ha ho ho ho hee hee hee.

Lol nice:D

Comment

Eugen, No offense, but ever since that chesstalk.com post you did about me, I don't want your responses in any of my posts and any of your referrals to me in any sense.

Ben, on a lighter note, it doesn't matter how many points Keith gains, you're gonna be playing him based on his july rating. So if he's like 2800 after canadian open on some glitch, you're still gonna play him based on his july rating =D
                          Shameless self-promotion on display here
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/Barkyducky?feature=mhee

Comment

Working...
                          X