New film about American chess star Bobby Fischer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New film about American chess star Bobby Fischer

David Fincher is an American filmmaker and music video director, known for his dark and stylish thriller movies, such as Se7en (1995), The Game (1997), Fight Club (1999), and Zodiac (2007). He received an Academy Award nomination for Best Director for his 2008 film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

David Fincher has attached himself to direct a film about American chess star Bobby Fischer, reports Variety.

The Se7en and Zodiac filmmaker is on board Sony's Pawn Sacrifice, which recounts Fischer's world championship match against Boris Spassky.

Tobey Maguire is producing the film and may take on the role of Fischer.

Oscar-nominated Dirty Pretty Things screenwriter Steven Knight has penned the movie and Fincher could make it after he completes Sony's Facebook project The Social Network.
    A computer beat me in chess, but it was no match when it came to kickboxing

Re: New film about American chess star Bobby Fischer

It will be interesting to see how Hollywood will do this story. Given its past history for fudging the truth, I can only imagine how this movie will be. Fischer will no doubt be portrayed as a crazy dude. I would think that Spassky will be portrayed as a reasonably normal guy, but will probably be cast as a pawn in the political storm of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
      It will be interesting to see how Hollywood will do this story. Given its past history for fudging the truth, I can only imagine how this movie will be. Fischer will no doubt be portrayed as a crazy dude. I would think that Spassky will be portrayed as a reasonably normal guy, but will probably be cast as a pawn in the political storm of the day.
      I would expect something more positive. Often they will leave out the negative parts when doing someones life story.

Two relative recent ones which disappointed me were the Ali Film and the one on John Cash (with Phoenix and Witherspoon).

The Ali film was disappointing in that they made no mention of his brutal fights with Ken Norton. Norton was a good south paw fighter as I recall. They fought 3 times and it was brutal. The first time Norton won as split decision and broke Ali's jaw. The second fight Ali won by a split decision. The third Ali won and it is one of the most disputed decisions.

The Cash film was disappointing because they left out his later years. I wish they would make a second film and do that part. As a fan, I'd be interested in seeing it.

So, they can make an accurate film and a viewer can go away disappointed. Not because of what was included but because of what wasn't included.
      Gary Ruben
      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

I would expect the film makers to play up the angle of how important the Fischer Spassky match was in 1972. I expect them to get many facts wrong (on purpose) to dress it up to meet Hollywood's "high" standards (lol).

Yes, much will be left out. How much can you cram into a 2 hour movie.

I didn't see the Ali film you speak of, but did watch Walk the Line. The performances were great and the story was pretty good, just not as close to the truth as they would have you believe.

This is no surprise though. After all, that is Hollywood. Even Michael Moore can't get the facts straight.

Comment

Michael Moore makes documentaries, Hollywood makes theatrical "feel good" stories. And that's how it should be. If you want Bobby Fisher biography than watch documentary "Anything to win" made for "Biography" channel and available on youtube. "Searching for Bobby Fischer" is fantastic movie for general audience that are interested in the story but not in the actual facts. Same goes for another fabulous British movie "Luzhin Defense" which is very loosely based on life of Akiba Rubenstein.

The importance of new Hollywood movie about Bobby's match against Spassky is that it will bring 40 year old events back to life to the contemporary audience who might not be familiar with the event and the pre-event build up. And that's a good thing.

By the way..... "When We Were Kings" is rightly regarded as one of the best boxing documentaries ever!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest Klubis View Post
            I've enjoyed some of Tobey Maguire's work, but I just don't see him as a convincing Bobby Fischer. Any suggestions? How about Jude Law...?

Comment

I always thought James Woods might make a good Fischer. He could play the older Fischer.

As for current stars, maybe Matt Daemon off the top of my head. I don't see Tobey as Fischer either.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ficzere View Post
                I always thought James Woods might make a good Fischer. He could play the older Fischer.

As for current stars, maybe Matt Daemon off the top of my head. I don't see Tobey as Fischer either.
                Jeff Bridges is hot right now, have him play the older Fischer. He could call all his opponents "Dude".
                Only the rushing is heard...
                Onward flies the bird.

Comment

David Fincher is an American filmmaker and music video director, known for his dark and stylish thriller movies, such as Se7en (1995), The Game (1997), Fight Club (1999), and Zodiac (2007). He received an Academy Award nomination for Best Director for his 2008 film The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

David Fincher has attached himself to direct a film about American chess star Bobby Fischer, reports Variety.

The Se7en and Zodiac filmmaker is on board Sony's Pawn Sacrifice, which recounts Fischer's world championship match against Boris Spassky.

Oscar-nominated Dirty Pretty Things screenwriter Steven Knight has penned the movie and Fincher could make it after he completes Sony's Facebook project The Social Network.
                  I'm interested only because the of the people attached to this project. Fincher is a fantastic director, and for those of you who haven't seen Dirty Pretty Things, it's a cool movie- Audrey Toutou was in it too!

Still, there's many more interesting people in chess then Fischer. I've always thought of him as an anti-semitic/partially deranged crank- great chessplayer, not a very interesting person. He's hardly the only eccentric loner in chess, and fortunately most of the them haven't been as offensive.

I'd rather see a movie about some of the soviet players. Tal has always struck me a great character, and I think a movie about the match between Bronstein and Botvinnik could be great. Of course the public at large would probably have minimal interest in something like that, but Fischer gets most of the interest simply because of where he was born...

Comment

I've always thought that you could make a good movie about either Morphy or Capablanca. Alekhine might be interesting too.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Bonham View Post
                      Jeff Bridges is hot right now, have him play the older Fischer. He could call all his opponents "Dude".
                      How about Mel Gibson?

Jeff Bridges and Tobey Maguire gives you Seabiscuit. The championship horse movie.
                      Gary Ruben
                      CC - IA and SIM

Comment

My choice, Adrian Brody

Comment

Reports confirm that Tobey Maguire will star as Bobby Fischer in Pawn Sacrifice, a new biopic about the chess legend’s life. The story will primarily focus on Fischer’s famous match against Russian chess champion Boris Spassky. The two played for the World Championship in 1972 during the Cold War.

In the 1970s, Bobby Fischer was the most dominant chess player in the world. He was only 14 when he won his first United States Championship, and still holds a record for achieving the only perfect score in tournament history (63-64 season). Fischer disappeared from the public eye in 1975 and did not re-surface until 1992, when he emerged to play a match against his rival Boris Spassky.

David Fincher has signed on to direct the film.

Comment

Reports confirm that Tobey Maguire will star as Bobby Fischer in Pawn Sacrifice, a new biopic about the chess legend’s life. The story will primarily focus on Fischer’s famous match against Russian chess champion Boris Spassky. The two played for the World Championship in 1972 during the Cold War.
                            There you go. Bridges can be Kissinger. Seabiscuit can be Spassky and I'll pass on that movie. Fischer, like Ponomariov, only won the championship once.
                            Gary Ruben
                            CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Re: Pawn Sacrifice to premier at TIFF

Pawn Sacrifice

The lineup for the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival was announced yesterday (July 22). Among the films being shown are Roskam’s The Drop, Baumbach’s While We’re Young starring Naomi Watts and Amanda Seyfried, The Imitation Game with Benedict Cumberbatch, The Theory of Everything starting Eddie Redmayne and Edward Zwick’s Pawn Sacrifice.

From the press release: Pawn Sacrifice is set during the height of the Cold War; this "based on a true story" feature centers on chess legend Bobby Fischer (Tobey Maguire) as he's locked in a gripping championship clash with the Soviets, struggling against his own psychological demons while the whole world anxiously awaits the outcome. Liev Schrieber plays Boris Spassky and Peter Sarsgaard, Sophie Nélisse, Lily Rabe, Robin Weigert, Michael Stuhlbarg and Seamus Davey-Fitzpatrick also star.

The Festival runs September 4 to 14 this year.

I believe the schedule of screenings is yet to be announced.

Comment

Working...
                              X