Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: CFC Memberships continue to grow

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    I'd like to know if the (Asprox?) computer virus has been removed from the CFC website, so I can read more of the good news.
    I thought that hugh infux of members would give you the warm fuzzies. :)

Soon the membership will be over 1900 and everyone will want a raise in pay.

I've been working on my new chess entity. The Inner Galactic Chess Federation.

We are affiliated with the Galactic Chess Federation which has an array of unisex titles.

The Inner Galactic Chess Federation (IGCF) is open to anyone living in the Milky Way. For full disclosure, I have to tell you I only expect a very few people from our own planet will join.

The IGCF is not a democracy. It's mine, mine, mine! :p So there!:D

I'm working on the membership fees but it will likely be $200. per year to cover everything. I'll decide what "everything" amounts to at a future date.

Anyhow, it's a work in progress by I'm sure some of the sovereign wealth funds can afford my low fees. :)
    Last edited by Gary Ruben; Wednesday, 6th August, 2008, 10:36 PM. Reason: The Urge Struck Me.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      Not entirely sure if the effects of the virus (if any) are removed, but when you read a news item now, the page no longer contains the bogus Javascript code etc. At least that is a good sign, although it may mean the pages were manually fixed; the SQL injection vulnerability may or may not have been fixed. I suspect the CFC was likely running an old, not patched-up-to-date version of Apache. I didn't take a look at the version information before or after the previous infestation, so that is just a guess.
      I turned off JavaScript (and some other things) and chess.ca seemed to load normally. Apache? All this time I thought that the webserver was MS, for compatibility with the MSAccess rating database. Reportedly the CFC pays enough that the ISP should keep the webserver up to date!

The Olympiad page doesn't seem to have been updated. I checked at the Dresden site and Canada is among the countries which registered by the July 12th deadline. Among those that didn't are Mexico ... and recent medal-winner Hungary ... But Dresden doesn't say if Canada's entry is just one team, or both teams. So there's one question that might be clarified.

Also, it would be good to know if the air tickets have been purchased. Normally, I wouldn't care, but because of CFC's cash flow situation, and the threat of the lawsuit, the answer might reassure the troops.

Comment

I turned off JavaScript (and some other things) and chess.ca seemed to load normally. Apache? All this time I thought that the webserver was MS, for compatibility with the MSAccess rating database. Reportedly the CFC pays enough that the ISP should keep the webserver up to date!

The Olympiad page doesn't seem to have been updated. I checked at the Dresden site and Canada is among the countries which registered by the July 12th deadline. Among those that didn't are Mexico ... and recent medal-winner Hungary ... But Dresden doesn't say if Canada's entry is just one team, or both teams. So there's one question that might be clarified.

Also, it would be good to know if the air tickets have been purchased. Normally, I wouldn't care, but because of CFC's cash flow situation, and the threat of the lawsuit, the answer might reassure the troops.
        Oops... I don't know why I thought they were running Apache. They seem to be running Microsoft-IIS/6.0 ... anyway, I presume things are patched up so to speak.

I wondered too about the state of the Olympic team effort - I can't believe there wasn't a penny donated at the Canadian Open?! Surely a small fundraising drive there might have worked? A lot of people complained about a lack of side events: a 50-50 ad hoc speed tournament or something might have addressed both issues...
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

I believe they raised something like $200 for the Olympiad at the Canadian Amateur, and $100 for the WYCC. Could have them reversed though.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: Olympics

Lawrence Day wrote in Toronto Star: "Youth will be well represented on the Canadian Teams at the Dresden Chess Olympics in November. Of the ten players six are students...". I conclude that both teams were registered.

From the article: "Bluvshtein will be our top board."

Comment

Working...
            X