Funny Cartoon Regarding Wikipedia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny Cartoon Regarding Wikipedia

Since Wikipedia is often referred to on ChessTalk, I thought you would enjoy a cartoon poking fun at its weakness. This is an England weekday cartoon usually regarding the investment banking scene. The June 4 cartoon deals with Wikipedia. :)

http://www.alexcartoon.com/

Re: Funny Cartoon Regarding Wikipedia

lol... thanks for posting that link Ken.

Most of the references to Wikipedia on ChessTalk are from Frank Dixon if I recall correctly. Frank is the self-appointed (what else?) chess scribe. At least someone is doing the work!

Wikipedia has, I believe, a process that one can follow to dispute content or request a review, but I have never really looked into it that closely. There is a danger that some material - especially on obscure topics - might be "coloured" or outright wrong, but generally it is a decent starting place.

I usually check Wikipedia first and then start Googling for corroboration or additional information.
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

be skeptical of Wikipedia

Kerry: The CIA and the Vatican have been found, according to Wikipedia scanner, to have been conducting edits and changes to Wikipedia.

Wikipedia shows CIA page edits

Mind you, I'm sure they're not the only institutions doing so.

In regard to matters over which there are political differences of opinion, which is most things that are interesting, Wikipedia is unreliable. As usual , the best remedy is the hard work of doing your own investigating or relying upon the investigating of those who share your own views on things.

I've noticed some very skillful editing on Wikipedia, long before I heard about the CIA and Vatican edits, which had the effect of misleading the reader. Every time I made a correction, someone else "corrected" my correction. There may even be webrobots ("bots") carrying out some of these activities. Conservatives in the USA, claiming that Wikipedia is too liberal, even started their own online encyclopedia called Conservapedia. Ditto for those with left of centre views.

caveat emptor.
      Last edited by Nigel Hanrahan; Wednesday, 4th June, 2008, 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling correction.
      Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

That Conservapedia site is outrageous... lol
        ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Re : Funny Cartoon Regarding Wikipedia

Wikipedia is really helping students for homeworks and projects... I usually visit it every day :)

I saw the Conservapedia site... I'm not suprised to see that it is an american website.

Comment

In the famous words of Michael Scott, "Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information."

I've always been more of a fan of Uncyclopedia myself.

Comment

Re : Re: Funny Cartoon Regarding Wikipedia

Originally posted by Luke Peristy View Post
              In the famous words of Michael Scott, "Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information."

I've always been more of a fan of Uncyclopedia myself.

Chess is a game played with small figurines and dice in dark cellars by people who were rejected by their school's other clubs.

Chess is an ancient game of strategy, horses, castles, bishops and pawns. Not to be confused with Checkers, a game known for being much less fun than Chess. The game was a popular pastime for centuries among prisoners, each of whom sought to topple their king the fastest. However, the game was barely known among the middle and upper classes before Bobby Fischer's singlehanded efforts to popularize the game in the mid-20th century, climaxing in 1972 when he convinced Boris Spassky to make chess the official game of Russia despite fierce opposition from covert and well-funded Jewish lobbyists.

* Castling - taking one's pieces and relocating to a nearby castle so that one is completely safe and can chortle at one's opponent as they try to assault one's impenetrable fortress. This tactic was made poular in 1922 by Sir Noel Coward, an English actor and the founder of Cowardism.
              * Fork - positioning a piece such that it attacks two of the opponent's pieces at once, then closing one's eyes and reciting, "eenie, meenie, miney, moe...", before attacking one of the pieces with cutlery. Being a 'bishop forker' is generally regarded as unchristian play and is illegal in North America and some parts of Europe.
              * Pin - spinning oneself around while blindfolded, then attempting to attach a tail to an opposing piece designated as "the donkey."
              * Skewer - thrusting a lance across the chess board and impaling one's opponent. Note: May result in the filing of criminal charges.
              * Discovered Attack - searching the room for seemingly innocuous objects which can be fashioned into simple machines or weapons for use in the game. This tactic was invented by members of The A-Team but honed to perfection by the Scottish Grandmaster Angus MacGyver. MacGyver advised players to be prepared for the discovered attack: "A real chess player always has a Swiss army knife and duct tape at hand."
              * Stalemate - When the guy you are screwing under the table becomes stale or unwanted. This is used to ease the bordom.
              * Double Check - pushing an opponent against the boards and body slamming said opponent twice. May result in boarding and/or cross-checking penalties.
              * Zwischenzug - Neither player can move without getting royally screwed over by pawns. Not to be confused with Zugzwang, in which one player wants to stay still, but momma's calling so he's gotta go.
              * Spartan Fury - On the player's 300th move of the game (miscounts are subject to flogging), they may elect to place as many as 300 pawns on the board creating an impassible wall for their opponent. The only known countermove for this offensive strategy is complex and involves the use of a mishapen playing peice, not often readily available.
              I love Uncyclopedia too! :D

Comment

Re: Re : Re: Funny Cartoon Regarding Wikipedia

Originally posted by Felix Dumont View Post
                I love Uncyclopedia too! :D
                i like the world champions as super soviets

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Kramnik

Comment

here :

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Chess

“Iи кюммцйіѕт Яцssia, энeзз pгaчs чюц!!”

~ Дядя Гарт on Амеязка

Chess is a game played with small figurines and dice in dark cellars by people who were rejected by their school's other clubs.
                  Chess is an ancient game of strategy, horses, castles, bishops and pawns. Not to be confused with Checkers, a game known for being much less fun than Chess. The game was a popular pastime for centuries among prisoners, each of whom sought to topple their king the fastest. However, the game was barely known among the middle and upper classes before Bobby Fischer's singlehanded efforts to popularize the game in the mid-20th century, climaxing in 1972 when he convinced Boris Spassky to make chess the official game of Russia despite fierce opposition from covert and well-funded Jewish lobbyists.
                  :)

Comment

More Wikipedia "edits" by interested parties: the Conservative government of Canada has been editing the Wikipedia entries regarding the Minister of Industry. Seems that Jim Prentice, the Minister responsible for some forthcoming controversial copyright legislation, has got some of his staff in the Ministry editing his Wikipedia entry. From the guy who introduces foreign influenced legislation the Minister has become a man of "experience, confidence and competence, ability and capability." Uh huh.

Government buffs Prentice's Wikipedia entry
                    Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Working...
                    X