Handbook 386(b) - Ken Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbook 386(b) - Ken Field

"b) The CFC will not rate any chess tournament in which Ken Field is an organizer or director until the money he owes to the CFC, together with 15% annual interest, is paid to the CFC."

Anyone know how this came about? I am curious... there are a lot of items in the handbook that are almost laughable or hopelessly out of date, but this one really intrigued me. Is there a statute of limitations on bad debt? Hell, I think the Mississauga Library has even written off what I owed them (unjustifiably I might add, but a long time ago...) :)

Anyway, heaven help anyone with the name "Ken Field" who gets into chess now...
    ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Re: Handbook 386(b) - Ken Field

Well, perhaps I'll look into this further. It's been in the handbook forever though so I'd be stunned if it wasn't written off. Companies can have long memories even so; rip off any cell phone carrier down in the states and you'll have a $500 deposit PER PHONE on your account with ANY carrier down there for a very very long time. And they use the social security numbers instead of simply the name hehe.

At the very least we can see if this still needs to be there or not.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

From Jonathan Berry's page on Canadian Chess Chat: "From October 1973, Paul Janicki joined Buchan as Associate Editors, Angela Julian and Ben Paul (to Dec 1973) as Production Assistants, Ken Field as Advertising Manager, and Peter Chatterton for Book Sales."

The CFC never forgets; the wheels of god grind slowly, but they grind exceeding small.

Comment

Originally posted by John Coleman View Post
        From Jonathan Berry's page on Canadian Chess Chat: "From October 1973, Paul Janicki joined Buchan as Associate Editors, Angela Julian and Ben Paul (to Dec 1973) as Production Assistants, Ken Field as Advertising Manager, and Peter Chatterton for Book Sales."
        Wow, 1973... At 15% interest, if the CFC can collect all our money problems will likely go away!

Comment

John's message didn't mean that Field owed since 1973. Ahhh, 1973............ahem! If I remember correctly there were two fellows named Field and Fox who were associated with/organized a number of successful Ontario high school chess championships. Don't know if this was the same Field as the slow-to-pay Field. In fact, I don't even know if there was a slow-to-pay Field. I'm just assuming that the Handbook has the name right (likely a dangerous assumption...heavy sigh).
          "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
          "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
          "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Hi Peter:

Chris Field still organizes in the Toronto Highschools. Ken Field is a different individual.

Bob

Comment

I believe Chris Field had the same status with the CFC as Ken Field for a while. Chris ran a large week-long Toronto event in the 1980's (I think), and those who held off cashing their prize cheques for a couple of days found them bouncing.

I think I won $300, and two YEARS later I received a letter of apology from Chris with a (good) cheque for the $300 - plus interest!
              Last edited by Hugh Brodie; Monday, 15th September, 2008, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Ken Field has been dead for a couple of years. He organized some tournament and was supposed to take from the prize fund the cfc memberships for the visiting foreigners but forgot and gave it away instead. The cfc wanted him to reimburse them but he liked speed chess not tournaments anyway so retired to a successful career in graphics happily married in suburbia.

Ken lived at Wychwood and drove so did a lot of ferrying, especially late trips to Fran's Restaurant which was open all night. Such trips had an adventure element as the cops were always after him over unpaid parking tickets. In those days serving three days in jail wiped out all parking tickets so the game was to get as many as possible and then turn yourself in at 11:30 Friday night and get out at 12:30 AM Saturday which added up to three days since Sunday was free. Robert Zend also played this variation. The police would try to arrest them early in the week when three days had more literal meaning. Once when the cops stopped him Ken gave them a false name: Walter Dobrich. Another time when a cop came to the door and asked for Ken Field he said he would go see if he was here scurried off scurried back and straight-faced claimed not. Eventually a tactical team of a half-dozen officers descended on the house at dawn to haul him away for ignoring his parking tickets (and general impishness). He took it all quite jovially. So did Zend when he got hauled away. Perplexed, I asked if he didn't feel paranoid with the cops after him. No, he explained, he'd survived Budapest under the Nazis and the Commies~ then was tragedy, this was comedy.
                Last edited by Lawrence Day; Wednesday, 27th August, 2008, 06:33 PM. Reason: clarity and equanimity

Comment

Re: Ken Field, Ontario High School C C

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
                  John's message didn't mean that Field owed since 1973. Ahhh, 1973............ahem! If I remember correctly there were two fellows named Field and Fox who were associated with/organized a number of successful Ontario high school chess championships. Don't know if this was the same Field as the slow-to-pay Field. In fact, I don't even know if there was a slow-to-pay Field. I'm just assuming that the Handbook has the name right (likely a dangerous assumption...heavy sigh).
                  I was involved in organizing the Ontario High School Chess Championships, 73-76, along with people like John Halladay and Peter Hess. I don't remember any Field or Fox. Stephen Boyd, Mark Dutton and David Lavin were also involved as organizers of the Toronto Secondary School Chess League.

Chris Field was a magician, bridge player, and one of the team of Toronto Chess Club/ Chess Canada directors of speed and weekend tournaments.

Comment

[QUOTE=Lawrence Day;2160]Ken Field has been dead for a couple of years. He organized some tournament and was supposed to take from the prize fund the cfc memberships for the visiting foreigners but forgot and gave it away instead. The cfc wanted him to reimburse them but he liked speed chess not tournaments anyway so retired to a successful career in graphics happily married in suburbia.
                    ...etc
                    QUOTE]

Great stuff Lawrence (as always!) - I'm delighted to hear these stories (sorry to hear Mr.Field is en passant).

Comment

Lawrence, thanks for the colour! You should write a book about Canadian chess, a la Sosonko. :)
                      "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
                      "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
                      "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

After the 1976 Canadian Open in Toronto I needed a place to stay for a few days before heading off to Virginia for the U.S. Open. Ken Field generously took in Glenn Morin and myself and this allowed us to do some sightseeing. Ken took us down to Yonge Street at night... what a scene! In his place there were 2-3 roomies, one of whom -- a girl -- was a Mothers of Invention fan. We started listening to one of the Mothers' albums and pretty soon the song "Montana" came on. If you haven't heard it, it's about moving to the plains and starting a dental floss farm. We laughed our heads off over this and it quickly became my favourite song by The Mothers. Coincidentally, last week my wife and I took a driving vacation to Montana. I kept a sharp lookout for that dental floss farm but never did see it! A bit of a ramble, but the post about Ken took me back to some happy times...

Comment

I remember Ken Field from the Central YMCA chess club on College st. I remember walking down the hallway hearing the chess clocks being hammered by speed players and walking through a cloud of smoke to the club. I played in my first chess tournaments there. I believe it was on Monday nights. They were called Novice Tournaments. If memory serves Ken Field ran the tournaments and sometimes played in them. I enjoyed playing him even though I invariably lost. I remember he had a good sense of humour. I liked him.

Comment

Working...
                          X