questions re ActiveX (no chess content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions re ActiveX (no chess content)

Hi there, I've been trying for about an hour, but can't find the answers to these questions. So, I'm wondering if anyone else would know.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

First, I run a very tight home PC, with huge emphasis on protection. Therefore, I don't even use regular IE, but rather without add-ons.

One of the kids wants to watch YouTube on it, a lot, but that would require either allowing JavaScript, or installing Adobe Flash Player.

Question 1: Am I correct in my belief that allowing JavaScript entails risks I don't need?!

If the answer is yes, then we're looking at the Adobe option. However, when I went to install it, Adobe wants to create an ActiveX control for the Adobe Flash Installer. So, I can only even try to install it running IE with add-ons.

Question 2: Given that I normally run IE without add-ons, should I be able to run IE with add-ons just for the installation, and then normally run IE without add-ons after? Unless I'm mistaken, my conclusion is based on the understanding that the Installer requires ActiveX control but that the resulting Player does not (or may not?)

If the answer is yes, then I'm wondering by what mechanism would I be notified of Player updates?

Question 3: Is it correct to assume that when something like YouTube calls the Adobe Player, that it periodically checks itself against any recent updates, and pops up a reminder to update? Or, should I expect that checking and notification would only work if I was running IE with add-ons (which I'm trying to avoid) ?

I hope that all of the above makes sense?! ;)

Thanks in advance, and best regards.

(also posted on the old ChessTalk)

Re: questions re ActiveX (no chess content)

To answer your question, it would be helpful to know the answers to several questions:
    • What operating system do you run?
    • What version of IE?
    • Do you keep your system fully updated with security patches from MS?
    • Do you run anti-virus software? If so what sofware? And is it always up to date with regard to virus signatures?

The answer to your question depend on the specifics of your computer set up.

Comment

Hi Steve, this is very nice of you, thanks!

Would you mind emailing me at arismarghetis at rogers dot com ?

Comment

Aris:

Why use Internet Explorer at all? Of all the browsers, it's the one most prone to attack.
        Dogs will bark, but the caravan of chess moves on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Hanrahan View Post
          Aris:

Why use Internet Explorer at all? Of all the browsers, it's the one most prone to attack.
          Seconded. It's also slower and doesn't support the full international web standard compared to, say, Firefox.
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

hmmm, I hadn't thought of that ... OK, adding it to the tree of candidate moves, thanks

Comment

Working...
            X