New board or old board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New board or old board?

Sure leave the old one up for that type if you want but at least make this one the default! :)
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Re: Is the New board Fatally Wounded Now?

Hi Chris:

Do I understand correctly that the " new " Board is fatally doomed? We are getting almost no new viewers as I understand it, because nobody can find our URL. As I understand it Larry has made it so that a search of " ChessTalk " or entering www.chesstalk.com, gives you the old board. And there is no link any longer on the old board to the new board.

So is it just us diehard NewBoarders who are coming here now? We can't survive without new people being able to easily find us, and it seems now they CANNOT.

Am I right on understanding what's happened?

If that is the case, then Larry has really already cast the die in favour of the old board, and we might as well give up and let him pull the plug on this new board, no??:(

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
        Hi Chris:

Do I understand correctly that the " new " Board is fatally doomed? We are getting almost no new viewers as I understand it, because nobody can find our URL. As I understand it Larry has made it so that a search of " ChessTalk " or entering www.chesstalk.com, gives you the old board. And there is no link any longer on the old board to the new board.

So is it just us diehard NewBoarders who are coming here now? We can't survive without new people being able to easily find us, and it seems now they CANNOT.

Am I right on understanding what's happened?

If that is the case, then Larry has really already cast the die in favour of the old board, and we might as well give up and let him pull the plug on this new board, no??:(

Bob
        Hi Bob,

Not Chris, but I just want to make a comment. I'm not sure what you meant by

> Larry has made it so that a search of " ChessTalk "

but I just googled with the single word "chesstalk". The first four hits were for the old board and the fifth was for this new board.

I do agree though that it is 'strange' (and disappointing) that the link to the new board has disappeared from the old board.

John Cordes

Comment

The link most likely just disappeared because it was over a month old, not intentional on Larry's part. And we are still getting new members here, usually 1-2 per day.

If people want to help they could make sure that a post with the link to the new board is always in the top 5 or so on the old board...
          Christopher Mallon
          FIDE Arbiter

Comment

The NewBoard Google Link

Hi John:

That is good news. I looked at the link, and it might be improved if it had in the main subject heading " New Discussion Board ", to differentiate it.

Also, as a website illiterate, I have to say that when I clicked on the link I did not know what to do with the page I got ( I think it is Chris Mallon's Profile page ). I didn't see anything obvious about how to get to the discussion board from that screen. And although I have lots of trouble with websites, I think others might too, where they are not being spoonfed. Shouldn't the first page be one that asks the viewer if they want to join, or just go view?? And once they answer that question, they are then led to the discussion board? Sorry if this is simplistic and I don't know what is going on, but I think I'm not alone in needing everything to be up front and obvious and simple.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
              entering www.chesstalk.com, gives you the old board.
              Enter chesstalk.info and you'll get info not commercial :)

Comment

Hi Egis:

But the problem is that if someone doesn't know the URL, they would guess " .com ". Who would ever know to guess an extension that no one has ever heard about -- " info " ?? So people will end up on the old board.

Bob

Comment

Surely the biggest reason for adopting the new board is that it IS new... regardless of whether the format is better or not. The main problem with the CFC is that it is mired in old ways of thinking.

Most of the dinosaurs who are holding the CFC back don't post anyway, in fact, I suspect most of the dinosaurs haven't yet discovered the internet. However, by discarding the old board, we can leave behind a few old folks, and that's all to the good.

We gotta change, folks. We gotta.

Comment

Compare the weekend traffic on the two boards..

Comment

I also find the quality of posts higher on the new board ... just my 2c worth

Comment

And da winner is...

Larry has just announced on the old board that it will be replaced as of Sept 1 by this board. :)

Comment

Re: And da winner is...

Yay! It took me a while but over the past few weeks I've found that I come here first and get frustrated by having to go back to the old board from time to time.

Steve

Comment

Re: And da winner is...

You just have to get used to it, eventually everyone will see the light :)

Then they'll wonder how they lived without the built-in search, archiving, thread-bumping and all the other features.
                            Christopher Mallon
                            FIDE Arbiter

Comment

Working...
                            X