Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why do more women not play chess ?

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
    I am not so old that I don't recall how intimidating it was for me to play at an "adult" chess club (in my case it was the Scarborough CC in the mid sixties...)
    I know. When I bounced 'em, they never touched a stair until they hit bottom. :)

Do you remember Jim? He's really the only other junior from back in the early 70's who sticks in my mind.
    Gary Ruben
    CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
      I am astonished at the story about Cendrina's problems with that club...
      I cannot get over it!
      It does make one wonder what is wrong with these smallminded people...and why they can't celebrate and be happy for Cendrina's accomplishments instead of bullying her and her family and putting up roadblocks to impede her progress.

This brings to mind Susan Polgar in "My Brilliant Brain - Make Me a Genius". Here's the link to the 47 min video:
      http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...85927858479238

It's interesting (and sad actually) to see what Susan and her father had to endure at adult chess clubs when she was very young. But, it is amazing and inspiring to see that Susan broke through gender and age barriers to fulfill her life's ambition and goals in chess.

Victoria

Comment

The RA Chess Club in Ottawa also has about 20% junior membership. Generally the kids are decently behaved, although they do appear to require more of a firm hand. With kids it's all about boundaries. As long as you set them firm they stay within them.

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria Jung-Doknjas View Post
          Hi Carl,

Are there any adult chess clubs near you that you could take Cendrina to?

All the best,
          Victoria
          Hi Victoria,

Yes this what we have to do. I have my 5 and 6 years old boys that play chess so I liked to take the three of them to go to the Club.

This year I will have to separate Cendrina for Chess from her two brothers since I will try to find a club for them.

I think it is the better solution. There is always a solution.

Thanks again for your support.
          Carl

Comment

Originally posted by Peter McKillop View Post
            But ben, you've already reached your potential. You've self-actualized as an inconsiderate, insensitive, rude young person. What more do you want out of life?
            MAYBE I'm inconsiderate, insensitive and rude, or MAYBE you're a bitter, old and unfamiliar with my generation's technology.
            everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lohner View Post
              As for Ben, yes he can be abrasive online (as can I :) ) but in person he is actually quite quiet... and in the Langley open his 'orange ear accessories' were quite amusing :p
              What the hell?! What is this shit! For those who are taking Jason seriously, I'm actually loud, obnoxious and have a scar across my right cheek. And I drive a tinted 08 silver Navigator. And I deal drugs to children. Children NOT UNLIKE YOUR OWN.
              everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Do you bring anything positive to this discussion board, Ben?

Comment

Dear Craft,

Yes.

ben daswani

P.S. This is a hilarious joke but you* don't get it.

*As in all of you, not just Craft.

Comment

The vast majority of your posts fall into the joke category, Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Craft View Post
                      The vast majority of your posts fall into the joke category, Ben.
                      Point?

fssjhdgfsjhdsjsdf 10 characters

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
                        What the hell?! What is this shit! For those who are taking Jason seriously, I'm actually loud, obnoxious and have a scar across my right cheek. And I drive a tinted 08 silver Navigator. And I deal drugs to children. Children NOT UNLIKE YOUR OWN.

lol I thought about coming up to you and saying hi at the Langley tournament but I was sure you couldn't hear anything with those bright orange hearing protectors. You seemed pretty quiet to me :p I think the only person I saw you talking to was Lucas Davies! the hoodie was intimidating though :p

Comment

Man, I was Lucasing it up at that tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post

Awww, somebody needs a hug again. Ottosen?

Comment

Originally posted by Micah Hughey View Post
                              Awww, somebody needs a hug again. Ottosen?
                              Bitches don't know 'bout Bodie Broadus' valour.

Comment

Working...
                              X