(Dr.) Denis Lorenz - RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Dr.) Denis Lorenz - RIP

I just saw the death notice for Dr. Denis Lorenz (aged 85) - a long-time pediatrician in the Montreal area.

I think the family came to Canada during the 1956 Hungarian crisis (as did many chess players).

He was a fairly active "B" player in Montreal in the 1970's, and I remember driving with him a few times to Toronto for weekend Swisses. His son, Gabor, was an expert (and a CFC life member) - but gave up tournament chess in the early 1980's.

R.I.P.

http://www.legacy.com/CAN/Obituaries...onID=117007409

Re: (Dr.) Denis Lorenz - RIP

Ah yes, Hugh, didn't we travel on a round-trip with him, Gabor and Leo Williams to a Toronto tournament? I remember we were briefly going the wrong way down a one-way street at one time on the return portion. Funny, that is all I remember of the trip I believe, don't even recall the name of the tournament! He was a hard working and kind man as I recall. I see his resting place will be in the same cemetery as my parents.
    Last edited by Howard Streit; Monday, 8th September, 2008, 05:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something I wish to add.

Comment

Sorry, Howard - I can't seem to find the tournament you remember.

I'm trying to find the tournament by digging through old "Chess Canada's".
      Ontario Open, 1972, you finished with 2.5/6; Denis Lorenz with 1.5; Leo Williams with 4. I didn't play; Gabor didn't play. Toronto Open 1972 - I don't see your name, but I do see Leo and Denis. (I don't see your name in the "A" section crosstable though). I played in the "B" section (no crosstable given) - mating an 1800 player in 6 moves, and drawing Larry Bevand.

Trivia - Howard's parents were named Fred and Wilma.

Comment

Maybe it was Leon Piasetski squeezed in the back seat with Leo and myself. Hmmm, I wonder when and where it was.

Comment

Working...
        X