Another Jeff Sarwer interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Jeff Sarwer interview

Jeff competed in the "Aussie Millions" poker tournament last week. Unfortunately - he won nothing in the $10,000 buy-in main event. (there were many other side events in which he may have played as well).

From "Poker News Daily":

"Poker Icons, a leading global poker agency, added one of the game’s brightest rising stars to its roster of pros earlier this month. Former Canadian chess prodigy Jeff Sarwer became one of the most fascinating figures on the international poker scene this year. The 32 year old is rapidly becoming a feared presence on the live circuit despite picking up the game just a short time ago.

Sarwer was a chess wunderkind who at the age of eight became World Chess Champion for those under 10. However, after being taken away from his abusive father, Sarwer and his sister changed their names and fled to Europe, disappearing from the public eye for nearly two decades.

In 2008, Sarwer resurfaced and began playing on the PokerStars European Poker Tour. Since then, he’s racked up more than $500,000 in live tournament earnings and was deemed “probably the greatest mind to enter the tournament poker world in history” by fellow poker pro Jonathan “FatalError” Aguiar. Poker News Daily recently got a chance to speak with Sarwer about his aspiring poker career:

Poker News Daily: You’ve been traveling the tournament circuit for more than two years now. Overall, how would you grade your experience as a poker pro? Is this something you see yourself doing for a long time?

Jeff Sarwer: For the next few years, I think people will see me a decent amount out there. I am still learning and haven’t played a lot of the big live events like the Aussie Millions. The experience has been great; I have had the chance to meet some great people who have a lot in common with me. As for grading, I think I have done better than I expected since I have been really active for only about a year and have had some strong results. My start has been great, so I want to keep going and see where it takes me.

PND: Your chess talents have been widely documented. Have you considered returning to the game and possibly training to become a world champion?

Jeff Sarwer: I have no intention of making a run for the world title since I missed so many critical years of training. I might come back on an ambassador level, but for now, poker is getting my spare time.

PND: Chess is a game of perfect information, whereas poker is a game of imperfect information. How do your chess skills transfer to the poker table?

Jeff Sarwer: Paying attention to detail, feeling when people are getting nervous, remembering things, and leveling people – these are all things that both games have in common. Chess might be a game of perfect information, but we are only human and not machines, so how useful is the perfect information that is right in front of you? It’s information that you have to analyze, filter, and try to get to the root of what the other guy is up to, which is really hard to do with so many things going on. So “owning” people’s minds is a very important part of chess too.

PND: You’re very talkative and cheerful at the poker table. Is this a tactic used to gain information from opponents?

Jeff Sarwer: My main reason for this is that I would rather be in a good mood if I am going to be at the table with the same people all day, but it doesn’t hurt to have them want you to stay.

PND: Who are some of your poker influences? Are there any players in particular who have helped make the transition easier?

Sarwer: Absolutely. You can thank the young internet generation for spending time with me and inspiring me. In Europe, there were guys like Anton Wigg, Kevin Stani, and a couple of guys my age like Arnaud Mattern. In North America, there were guys like Sorel Mizzi, Jonathan Aguiar, and Shaun Deeb. I thank them all for letting me spend time around them and see how they do things.

PND: What made you decide to choose Poker Icons to represent you?

Jeff Sarwer: They are the biggest poker agency out there and I have met the people behind the company quite a few times before, so we know each other well and have established a good connection. It’s an easy fit for both sides.

PND: What are your plans for 2011?

Jeff Sarwer: Travel around, play in some new events, produce my film, stay healthy, and have some twists and turns that I don’t see yet.

PND: A film? Tell us a little about it.

Jeff Sarwer: I am finishing the final draft of a script with director Gordon Anderson about my childhood with my manic depressive dad. If you want a taste of what stuff we will be talking about, go to BBCWorldService.com."

Re: Another Jeff Sarwer interview

And here's another.

http://www.pokernews.com/news/2015/0...view-20730.htm

Comment

More from the Chessbase site...

http://en.chessbase.com/post/former-...turns-to-chess

Comment

Jeff is extremely well spoken and interesting. Note that he wants to go after the grandmaster title in chess - I hope he persists because my bet is it is going to take him much longer than his 2 year prediction.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Jung View Post
          Jeff is extremely well spoken and interesting. Note that he wants to go after the grandmaster title in chess - I hope he persists because my bet is it is going to take him much longer than his 2 year prediction.
          Hi Hans:

You are likely right.....his goal is ambitious and enterprising to say the least....but surely the odds are against him.

However, on the other hand (as lawyers are wont to say), the young Jeff Sarwer just stopped playing. Does anyone know his potential at that time, that might have been developed with coaching and study and playing? I think not.......it is one of those situations where, barring some obvious barrier, one didn't know what his potential future might have been. One ought not to close the future off prematurely.......amazing things happen in life.....all the time and in all places.

I won't bet you on it, since the odds are on your side......but there are the downside odds....why?...because some individuals, for some unknown reason, defy the odds and are successful where the world would say they never should have been.

I guess if he does do it.......we'll just have to attribute it to a chess "miracle".

Bob A

Comment

Jeff played for several years in Montreal under a different name - only a couple of "slow" events, but lots of blitz.

Comment

Working...
            X