Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Round 2 pairings

Da Bosco - Yuan

went 10.Ne2 Ne5 11.Qb3 Qc7. I was looking at 11...e6, trying to blast open the e-file with d7-d5. But Yuanling's move is interesting too. After 12.d3, I wonder if she's considering jettisoning a second pawn with 12...b5 ? Not using an engine.

Considering such things is one reason I get into time trouble.

Comment

da Bosco - Yuan

12.d3 d6 (threatening after exchanges to play Be6, gobbling the c4-pawn) 13.Rb1 (unpinning the b2-pawn) 13....b5 looks like a better version of what I suggested. For one thing, it doesn't sacrifice a second pawn!

Next moves coming quickly. 14.Bd5 Rb8 15.f4. Black has play against the exposed bishop at d5.

Comment

Mark's Qxc5 did not expect that. The point seems to be Rc8 pins the queen, but then Bb4 and if R takes B takes pinning black's queen. Plus, that exposes white to play Rd8, solving white's pin. Wow!

Comment

Hazel won. Even I saw the final combination.

Edit: Hold the champagne, the live board has changed Hazel's last move from Qe1+ (winning) to Qf1+ (losing). Hmmm...
          Last edited by John Coleman; Friday, 14th November, 2008, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Could be the sensory board. The piece may not have been placed completely on e1, and the software thinks it's on f1. We'll see....

Comment

Sometimes it's because they try to set up the pieces (an otherwise good habit) or analyze the game (not so good, even with ordinary boards). That was the main task of an arbiter at the Olympiads (to keep the players' hands off the pieces after the game). Starting in Round 3, the main task will be to declare forfeits at 15.01. Grin.

Looks like healthy victories for Canada in both matches.

Comment

I suspect Hazel and Dina will get even better throughout the event, they don't get to focus 100% on their chess back at home. Hazel is playing well she was unlucky to lose round 1 and her opponent from Cuba beat a WGM today.

They are right in the middle. Not sure who they will play hopefully not the US who are marginally ahead of them after losing today. The hotel looks way better then what we usually get this seems to be a top notch opportunity.
                Last edited by Duncan Smith; Friday, 14th November, 2008, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
                  Stacking (the name for the strategy you described) often works, but it also sometimes backfires. It almost always annoys the other teams. Right up your alley!
                  Jonathan,

I don't know if I ever defeated a player who wasn't either sick or annoyed.

If you want "annoyed", you should have seen the letters I got from some players whose games I forfeited. Often I'd reply and ask for clarification on some obscure point they were trying to make. :)

I called it keeping up foreign relations.
                  Gary Ruben
                  CC - IA and SIM

Comment

Working...
                  X