Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championships-Fees Increase on Dec. 1

Hi,

The Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championships are to be held at Queen's University in Kingston, ON, January 16-18, 2009. Full details are attached in the flyer below.

The fees go up by $20 across the board on Dec. 1, and the hotel deal we have made is only good until Dec. 15, so register early to save the money and the hassle.

Please contact me with any questions.

Tyler Longo
    Organizer, Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championships

Re: Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championships-Fees Increase on Dec. 1

Hello again,

It has come to my attention that the tournament notice has neglected to mention the need for teams to bring sets and clocks (if available)

There will only be a handful of extras on hand, so please bring sets and clocks for your team to the tournament. I will remind all teams that register of this requirement.

Tyler Longo

Comment

Re: We are ready!

Hello

University of Toronto will be sending 4 (!) teams this time, since we can field two of them in each section (above and below 1750).
      Last year in Guelph our A team took 1st place in the top section, and our B and C teams proved very competitive in the U1750 section. It seems that this year CUCC will be even more competitive, and we can't wait for January.
      We have very good intentions to defend our title, even though it'll be tough, and we challenge all universities out there!

In the U1750, I can honestly say we expect to clean house, not to be too immodest :-)

Here are our players in rating order:
      (note that teams and board order may be subject to change in some cases)

FM Bindi Cheng 2369
      Geordie Derraugh 2087
      Evan Sonkin 1966
      Alex Ferreira 1960

Lu Zhou 1898
      Leon Perelman 1876
      Robert Roller 1869
      Robert Kleinman 1782

Benjamin Davidson 1728
      Bill Kim 1700
      Stuart Brammall 1682
      Jacob Stein 1649

Alex Safir 1564
      Kevin Chen UNR
      Siang Choon Khor UNR
      Darko Vukojicic UNR

We thank Tyler Longo, Alex Lambruschini and Frank Dixon for organizing this event, we're looking forward to it.

Alex Ferreira
      Hart House Chess Club (University of Toronto)

Comment

David Peng won't play?

Comment

Hello Zhe.

Some of our players who were exempt from qualification have other commitments at that time.

Alex F.

Comment

Thanks Alex,

I'm going to post a complete pre-registered list in a few days, but at the moment there are 10 teams registered with another 6 confirmed (but no registration yet).

At the moment include both FM Bindi Cheng(2369) and FM Christian Stevens(2396), and I am expecting some more strong players by the end of the week.

Please, help get the word out to schools who may not have sent teams before. The organizers would like this Post-Secondary Championship to be a truly national championship, with as many new faces as possible. Again, schools outside Ontario and Quebec get FREE entry, and schools who have not sent a team since 2004 get discounted entry.

Tyler Longo
            Organizer, Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championship

Comment

Hi again,

On another note. Is anyone read this fluent in French? I have been having trouble translating the CUCC flyer so that I can advertise it on the French board as well as with the FQE (our tournament is FQE rated as well). If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Tyler Longo
              Organizer, Canadian Post-Secondary Chess Championship

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler Longo View Post
                Again, schools outside Ontario and Quebec get FREE entry,
                The travel costs are probably more of an issue......
                everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Hi Ben,

Of course you have a valid point. I realize the costs could be somewhat high for a weekend tournament. There isn't much else we can do other than completely waive the cost for schools outside the area.

On the other hand, the more teams that come from other regions, the more encouraging it could be for others if the championships become truly national. Dalhousie is a regular attendee of this event (for the last 2 years when it was in Ontario).

Tyler Longo

Comment

Working...
                  X