New Chess Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Chess Rules

It is a real thing starting 2013 July 1. Mainly all changes are a cosmetic type clarifying various situations.

At chesscafe Geurt Gijssen (the main man behind rules) gave a summary of them.

A very new one is this:
    Article 6.2.d
    Only the player whose clock is running is allowed to adjust the pieces.
    This should stop distractions by an opponent (though it may create more complains)

Again one more time regarding a 3-fold position:
    Article 9.2

The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by a player having the move, when the same position for at least the third time (not necessarily by a repetition of moves):

a. is about to appear, if he first writes his move, which cannot be changed, on his scoresheet and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move, or
    b. has just appeared, and the player claiming the draw has the move.

There was a proposal that a player does not have to write his move first if the intended move produces the same position for the third time. After he had made his move, he should stop the chess clock (this means both clocks), call the arbiter, and claim a draw. It was decided not to change this Article.
    Hal and Aris may shed some light on various changes too.

Re: New Chess Rules

Originally posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    It is a real thing starting 2013 July 1. Mainly all changes are a cosmetic type clarifying various situations.

At chesscafe Geurt Gijssen (the main man behind rules) gave a summary of them.

A very new one is this:
    Article 6.2.d
    Only the player whose clock is running is allowed to adjust the pieces.
    This should stop distractions by an opponent (though it may create more complains)

Again one more time regarding a 3-fold position:
    Article 9.2

The game is drawn, upon a correct claim by a player having the move, when the same position for at least the third time (not necessarily by a repetition of moves):

a. is about to appear, if he first writes his move, which cannot be changed, on his scoresheet and declares to the arbiter his intention to make this move, or
    b. has just appeared, and the player claiming the draw has the move.

Hal and Aris may shed some light on various changes too.
    I can tell you that these meetings were quite fascinating! They stretched out across multiple meetings on different days, as there were very many proposals, most of which were not summarized, understandably, at ChessCafe. I found it very interesting that many senior chess people, with literally decades of experience, could be so opposed on particular issues. Even Hal and I did not vote the same way on everything. If you like, I could chat about which changes that, as an arbiter, I am more fond of, but in person! ;)

Comment

Aris,

From an Arbiter's perspective, can you tell me why a player should have to notify an Arbiter prior to claiming a threefold repetition?

I guess first it would help to know how you voted on this rule... And if Hal is reading this, the same questions go to him too.

I don't know if I agree that the Arbiter should be notified before claiming a threefold rep. Maybe some of the Arbiters' rationale might change my view.

Thanks, Jordan
      No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it.

Comment

This is poetry!!
        "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." - Aesop
        "Only the dead have seen the end of war." - Plato
        "If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination." - Thomas De Quincey

Comment

Hey Jordan - some of the high end tournaments have restrictions about offered draws, so a draw claim before move x, or sometimes ever, has to be blessed by the Arbiter.

In must of our events, it's about pausing the clock. If you are creating the 3 fold, you must write it down without moving. If your opponent agrees then you're done. If not, your clock is ticking, so you should pause it and seek the assisitance of the Arbiter. Even if your opponent created the 3 fold and you are just claiming it, you may not want to debate the matter on your time. If you pause the clock you are calling the Arbiter.

Does that answer your question?

Comment

Stewart Reuben and other Brits love to point out that 3 fold "repetition" requires a 4th time in the same position. When I called it a 3 fold occurrence they were almost moved to applause.
            Last edited by Hal Bond; Friday, 21st September, 2012, 09:16 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

An interesting problem was posed by John Chidley-Hill at last Saturdays Rapid.
              In the diagrammed position White, on move, places a Queen on b8 by promoting his pawn - but before releasing the new queen, notices that the result is stalemate - so the player returns the queen to the side of the table and now attempts to promote to a rook instead. The opponent asks for a ruling. What should the TD rule?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Vlad Dobrich; Thursday, 20th September, 2012, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                In the diagrammed position White, on move, places a Queen on b8 by promoting his pawn - but before releasing the new queen, notices that the result
                (you meant a stalemate)

The rule says: the choice of the piece is finalised, when the piece has touched the square of promotion.

Thus, if the queen was only in his hands (no touch of the square), he can replace and a game continues. If it touched - a draw.

Comment

(you meant a stalemate)

The rule says: the choice of the piece is finalised, when the piece has touched the square of promotion.

Thus, if the queen was only in his hands (no touch of the square), he can replace and a game continues. If it touched - a draw.
                  What if they put an upside-down rook and then claimed that it was a rook (just upside down) and NOT a Queen?
                  ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Yes that would be clear - so the touch move rule is discounted in this case, as the queen was not yet in play.
                    BTW how do I post a full size diagram on ChessTalk? I don't much like using the thumbnails.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                      What if they put an upside-down rook and then claimed that it was a rook (just upside down) and NOT a Queen?
                      As I remember, you are not allowed to do that. Stop the clock and get a proper piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad Dobrich View Post
                        BTW how do I post a full size diagram on ChessTalk? I don't much like using the thumbnails.
                        Only if you have a position's FEN, a bigger picture, or just click on your attached picture.

Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Thursday, 20th September, 2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/atta...1&d=1348151031

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry Liles View Post
                            One more thought to solve cardinally this issue: re-design the rook. Make a small flagpost what would tip over the rook if someone wants to make it upside-down. :D

Comment

One more thought to solve cardinally this issue: re-design the rook. Make a small flagpost what would tip over the rook if someone wants to make it upside-down. :D
                              Yes, I considered that to!
                              Perhaps just going back to an elephant figurine instead...
                              ...Mike Pence: the Lord of the fly.

Comment

Working...
                              X