Bonus Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Points

What is the purpose of Bonus Points? And How are they calculated? (when calculating CFC ratings)
    Last edited by Sanjiv Kalra; Monday, 24th November, 2008, 10:44 AM.

Re: Bonus Points

The purpose of bonus points (a terrible name) is to adjust ratings relatively rapidly for quickly improving players. They should be called something like "accelerated rating adjustment points", which is more accurate, but not as catchy. ;-)

For some reason I cannot access chess.ca, but if I recall correctly, the bonus points for a 5-round event, assuming the player's rating is reaching a new all-time high, and is below X (I forget what X is, but your son is below it) is 26. So for every point he gained above 26 points, he gets another point added.

For example, let's say you gain 50 points in a five-round event. You get 50-26= 24 bonus points. So you gain 74 points (the original 50 plus 24 more).
    "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Is this a standard system which applies to all chess federations or only in CFC. If you don't mind, what is your opinion about it?

Comment

FIDE has similar thing (I would say it is much more simplified)

"10.52
        K is the development coefficient.
        K = 25 for a player new to the rating list until he has completed events with a total of at least 30 games.
        K = 15 as long as a player`s rating remains under 2400.
        K = 10 once a player`s published rating has reached 2400, and he has also completed events with a total of at least 30 games. Thereafter it remains permanently at 10."
        The rating system must be simple. I do not think that current CFC rating calculations may be done on paper anymore.

CFC bonus points are described in http://www.chess.ca/Gls/07-08GL9.pdf
        page 5
        Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; Monday, 24th November, 2008, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom O'Donnell View Post
          The purpose of bonus points ... is to adjust ratings relatively rapidly for quickly improving players.... the bonus points for a 5-round event, assuming the player's rating is reaching a new all-time high, and is below X (I forget what X is, but your son is below it) is 26. So for every point he gained above 26 points, he gets another point added.

For example, let's say you gain 50 points in a five-round event. You get 50-26= 24 bonus points. So you gain 74 points (the original 50 plus 24 more).
          Tom, you describe the old system (which in the 1970s did not have the restriction that I put in bold). At some point, bonus points were abolished, then brought back in a new formula that makes little sense to me. I attempted to discuss it with Stockhausen in another thread. The new bonus points depend on your score, so AFAIR, they give nothing a 1600 player who scores 50% over six rounds against a 1900 player.

The word "bonus" describes their action perfectly. If you do really well, you get a bonus. Well, under the old system, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
            The new bonus points depend on your score, so AFAIR, they give nothing a 1600 player who scores 50% over six rounds against a 1900 player.
            Jonathan I tried plugging in these numbers in the Rating Calculator on CFC wih 50% score and it gave a Bonus of 30 points. So this is quite confusiong...I mean is there a system to calculate or it is at rondom?

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

Re: The name "bonus"...

From dictionary.com

Bonus:
              5. something extra or additional given freely

So I guess you could say that getting something extra that was of no or negative value would be a bonus, though I am not sure that most people would think of it that way.

The reason I object to the name "bonus" is that it implies that ratings are something that are subject to reward ("bonus") and punishment. Since they are a system of measurement that idea makes little sense. It is why forfeits should not be rated, for example.
              "Tom is a well known racist, and like most of them he won't admit it, possibly even to himself." - Ed Seedhouse, October 4, 2020.

Comment

Participation & Bonus points were reintroduced to the system recently as per motion passed in GL9.

Bonus points calculated as:

60% - 70% - 5 points
                71% - 89% - 10 points
                90% + - 15 points

The percentages refer to you tournament result ( ie. 3/4 = 75%), you get 10 bonus points. However, 2 criteria, your performance rating must exceed your CFC highest rating, and must be at least 4 games.

Participation points are calculated separately, based on rating.

I hope that helps. The system has been tested for the changes, but if you have a result that appears wrong, let us know. We will verify it for you.

Comment

Working...
                X