It's time to renew my CFC membership!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's time to renew my CFC membership!

Originally posted by John Cordes View Post
    Roger: Are you aware that it was Ben who used the phrase "supporting Canadian chess programmes", not Bob? It is true that the CFC Membership page does say "Your membership dues support all these activities to help ensure chess prospers in Canada."; this follows a list of things which are supported.

I too received an email reminder re my CFC membership a few days ago. After some hesitation I have renewed again, for at least one more time.

John
    Did you read the initial post in this thread? I made no mention of some page on the CFC website. I said, "I received an email from the CFC informing me that it's time to renew my CFC membership."

An email. To my inbox. You did not read it. Do not guess at what the CFC did or did not say in it. That is silly. But I am a nice guy: a benevolent ruler. I will hook you up with the info.

"That's right, the more memberships generated in the CFC, the more money there will be available for programs to promote chess across Canada."
    - CFC

The CFC spelt "programmes" in the filthy Yankee manner, but I doubt your point was one of semantics. If it was, what the hell. C'mon. No need for that.
    everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
      :( Goodness, so negative. Please allow me to retort:

Book prices - perhaps you are not aware of our new CFC Amazon associate store. You get Amazon pricing and you can support the CFC by buying thru the CFC website. We also still have old stock of books and software at 50% off. So we now have the best prices ;)

Your rating is 2112. And yes, we still need to upgrade the system to eliminate the error messages. It's on the 'to do' list !:o

Magazine - did you really expect the CFC to continue publishing a magazine and go bankrupt in the process ? The online version is coming !:D

Olympiad teams - Not one dime of your membership dues are used to finance the Olympic teams. The CFC raised over 15k from member donations directed specifically to the Olympic teams. (118 donors and some directed to the womens team specifically):D

Tournament listings - are you complaining that we are linking to other websites for tournament listings ? It seems like a good idea to me. And yes, we have created a self serve tournament listing service for our TD's to use. ;)

Lost members ? - We most certainly have lost some members with the loss of the printed magazine, no question. Other reasons too. :o However, overall membership numbers are up in the last 7 months.:)

Still lots to do, but you can't fix everything first !!
      Well, maybe I will buy Chess Bitch. Frank Dixon still owes me a copy, but he avoids my posts and probably never had any intention of following through with his promise. What a bad dude. Anyway, I'm probably not going to buy a membership just to get one book. And most other chess books actually have chess lines in them. Those books are boring as hell. I already read Karpov's piece of prose about his matches with Kortchnoi.

Thank you for the rating update. I am pleased to see that my rating is a palindrome. I will aim to gain rating in increments of 110. Palindromes is a film written and directed by Todd Solondz. It's alright. It's no Storytelling, though.

As for the magazine, no, I would not expect the CFC to produce one to the point of bankruptcy. I would expect the CFC to refund a portion of my membership, though. Or give me a store credit of the applicable amount. Even a mere emailed apology would have been better than letting the membership find out via ChessTalk.

Bob, I think the work that you and the rest of the office staff do is superb. However, I believe that the CFC is essentially intrinsically dysfunctional. I do not want to CFC to survive. I want a stronger organisation to take its place.

P.S. The email said that my membership expires on January 1, 2009, but I purchased it on January 13, 2008. While the twelve days may see academic, I plan on playing in a CFC-rated tournament on January 11, 2009. I presume this is fine.
      everytime it hurts, it hurts just like the first (and then you cry till there's no more tears)

Comment

Hi Ben,

Just a couple of quick comments.

Originally posted by ben daswani View Post
        Did you read the initial post in this thread? I made no mention of some page on the CFC website. I said, "I received an email from the CFC informing me that it's time to renew my CFC membership."

1. I saw what your post said, and I'm perfectly aware that you didn't refer to the CFC website. I didn't say that you did.

An email. To my inbox. You did not read it. Do not guess at what the CFC did or did not say in it. That is silly. But I am a nice guy: a benevolent ruler. I will hook you up with the info.
        2. I've no idea why you think I was commenting on your email from the CFC. Rather obviously I was addressing the post you made to this board.

Regards,
        John

Comment

Originally posted by John Cordes View Post
          Hi Ben,

Just a couple of quick comments.

1. I saw what your post said, and I'm perfectly aware that you didn't refer to the CFC website. I didn't say that you did.

2. I've no idea why you think I was commenting on your email from the CFC. Rather obviously I was addressing the post you made to this board.

Regards,
          John
          You claimed that I, as opposed to Bob, brought up funding for Canadian chess programmes. I am simply pointing out that this is untrue; Bob brought it up, in an email to me.

Comment

You claimed that I, as opposed to Bob, brought up funding for Canadian chess programmes. I am simply pointing out that this is untrue; Bob brought it up, in an email to me.
            Let's chalk it up to a misreading of, or ambiguity in, your sentence:

- The satisfying feeling of supporting Canadian chess programmes. Yes, please continue to send players worse than me to the Olympiad on my dime!

Comment

Working...
            X